Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeds

HI people this is my first post .
    iam just starting and i need some help on Seeds--- i want to buy a few diferent kinds of seeds and maybe start 1 in my basement now
    what i need to know is this. if i buy seeds can i keep them until next spring of 2019 and plant then outdoors--- is it ok or not-??-- AND if it is ok How to keep or storage these seeds.
    thanks for any info.

Welcome atony . I keep my seeds in my refrigerator in the dairy drawer - I have seeds that have been in there over 2 years - I still plan to use them eventually........
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I keep mine in the fridge too in a small med bottle with a slica pack,

Comment

Yup. Mine stay in the sock drawer. The grow I’m doing now came from seeds that were at least 5 years old.
        Rawtton by Ethos Journal

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          @atoney, I also keep mine in our sock drawer, lol
          Got some way over 5years old, and they still do fine.
          Good Luck with your coming grow, and Welcome to GWE, ask questions anytime you want too, !!

You want stable, dry, and cool conditions. Depending on where you live and local ambient temperature, inside your home could be fine. If your temps and humidity fluctuate (like most of us) a refrigerator drawer might be your best bet. I have some seeds from 2012 that have been inside the refrigerator drawer, inside a plastic tupper ware container, and I individually vacuum seal my seed packs with a few grains of dried rice inside the bag. Is that overkill? Most likely, but I paid good $$ for those genetics and these methods have, so far, given me 100% germination rates, even if the seed is 5 plus years old.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Thanks to you all for the info i will do just that

Comment

An old school and trusted way to store seeds are;

"Toast" rice in the oven for 10 mins, fill your container (bottle, box etc) with the toasted rice and cover the top with cotton. You then store your seeds in there and the rice will help keep the conditions inside the container 100% for a long long time.

I use a camera film roll container. Airtight and lasts for ever.

Comment

• starramus
              starramus commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey isn't that how you repair a cell phone that you have dropped in the toilet too?

• Cocho
              Cocho commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, if the water didn't short circuit the mainboard first. But yes, it does work. It's a cheap and effective way of storing organic materials (seeds, bugs etc) and protect/dry electronics.

I keep mine in a medicine bottle in the small zip lock baggy they came in and have been good for atleast 3, 4 years now. And welcome to the family, and remember the only stupid ? is the one that wasn't asked so please if you don't know or just not sure you have a great bunch of folks to talk it over with and will help you figure it out. Happy Growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
              You want stable, dry, and cool conditions. Depending on where you live and local ambient temperature, inside your home could be fine. If your temps and humidity fluctuate (like most of us) a refrigerator drawer might be your best bet. I have some seeds from 2012 that have been inside the refrigerator drawer, inside a plastic tupper ware container, and I individually vacuum seal my seed packs with a few grains of dried rice inside the bag. Is that overkill? Most likely, but I paid good $$ for those genetics and these methods have, so far, given me 100% germination rates, even if the seed is 5 plus years old.
              The wifey says seeds should be good to go for 7 years. A fine long term investment.

Comment

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually had a friend who’s parents collected seeds from the 60’s and 70’s. To our surprise, some of them grew this was like around 2010 so about 40-50 years later). Most were duds, but there were no storage techniques used in this case. Some crazy looking plants in there too.

i m in Canada so hot and cold
              you guys are great happy to be here
              thanks

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X