Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity and Temp Control

Greetings,

I am a first time grower am having difficulty controlling my temp and humidity.

The Problem:

If I run my 6" extraction fan, even on the lowest speed, my temp drops to 76 and my humidity drops to 30%. If I turn the extraction fan off, my temp goes up to 90 and my humidity hovers between 40% and 45%. These numbers are after I added a 2.5 gal open top pail with an air pump and 4" disc air stone to help increase the humidity. Before adding the pail, with the extraction fan running, my humidity was around 20% and temp was still between 74 and 76.

Setup: https://imgur.com/mjECw27

Yesterday: https://imgur.com/sQGXJUy

Today: https://imgur.com/CmDTBfa

I lost 5% Humidity in the time it took to take those four pictures.

I am sure there is a simple solution somewhere and I am just overlooking it.

Thank you to Nebula and Sirius. Without your tutorials, I would not have gained enough confidence to try growing.
    Also, thank you to all who have helped sustain this community.

Setup is basically cookie cutter Bubbleponics from GWE:
    • 48x48x80 Tent
    • Viparspectra Dimmable 1200W LED
    • 6" Max Fan
    • Two 11" Circulation Fans
    • Eco Air 126 GPH Air Pump
    • Eco Flow 160 GPH Water Pump
    • Hydroton Rocks
    • GH Flora Grow, Bloom, and Micro
    • Hydroguard
    • 10 gal Sterilite container
    • 2.5 gal pail
    • 40 GPH Air Pump (for pail)

I don't seen anything wrong with your temp at 76 and RH at 30%. I would leave that alone.

Comment

Thank you!

Everything that I had read about RH said to keep it between 40% and 60% and I was worried about the 76 temp being too cool for "spring" temperatures. I'm sure its just the control freak in me coming out.

Comment

• hycheese
        hycheese commented
        Editing a comment
        You could get a 6" damper for around $10 - try covering a section of the fan's inlet or outlet with cardboard to see if it will moderate the air flow.

When I grow in winter, my temp fluctuates between 56 at night and 80 during the day. My RH is never over 30% because I live in a High Dessert. My plants don't care.

Comment

I am also a first time grower, but we got a cool mist humidifier from amazon for $40 that hold 4 liters of water. On the highest setting it will last around 24 hours. It brought our humidity right up and seemed to not interfere with our temp control because it was a cool mist humidifier. The plants loved it and seemed to double after the first day. Before the humidifier it was around 40% in our tent. Our plants seem to like the humidity closer to 55%.

Comment

• PuravidaC
          PuravidaC commented
          Editing a comment
          Be careful with your water using a cool mist humidifier. I started out with a cool mist humidifier using tap water that produced calcium dust on everything. Really need to use distilled water for a cool mist or switch to a wick type humidifier.

• PrincessPuss
          PrincessPuss commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks PuravidaC for the info. The humidifier told us to use distilled water so I have been.

Do you just have one inline fan for extraction . I wou,d add one to bring in air and match the speeds with the extraction fan, this keeps my temps and humidity far easier to control and rarely need to dehumidify now but then our rh in my area is now less than 50% on a daily basis so this probably has a lot to do with it too.

Comment

You could also use a temperature controller on your exhaust fan. That way the fan is only running when you need to.

Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/Sensor for $35 on Amazon

i would still buy a humidifier though, to get your humidity up to 40-50%

Comment

• hycheese
            hycheese commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the Inkbird ITC-308 with the 6' wired sensor kept at my plants canopy, it is a nice easy controller with dual outlets for either heat or cool. They also make one for humidity IHC-200.

Or you can just leave everything the way it is. You sure don't want to use a humidifier during flowering.

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
            NAKEDGARDENER commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep I as gonna say the same, since flowering they prefer lower humidity anyway and putting in moisture during flowering can be disastrous.

Originally posted by NAKEDGARDENER View Post
          Do you just have one inline fan for extraction . I wou,d add one to bring in air and match the speeds with the extraction fan, this keeps my temps and humidity far easier to control and rarely need to dehumidify now but then our rh in my area is now less than 50% on a daily basis so this probably has a lot to do with it too.
          I only have the one fan for extraction. My temp is maintaining around 80-84 with 34-36% RH. Pics are from 6 a.m. this morning when lights came on. Temp was 81 and RH was 42%. I'm not having an issue keeping humidity low so much as I was concerned about it being too low.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            If it stays around 40percent, you should be fine, but higher would be much better, for your young girls

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X