Using Fox Farm Ocean as a starting point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Fox Farm Ocean as a starting point

I want to keep things as simple as possible. So starting with a great soil just makes sense. having said that, what are the bare minimum nutrient / supplements that I should use throughout the entire life cycle. And is there a better choice that the Fox Farm soil?

My last (and first) grow I used no supplements during the veg cycle. Plants seemed to flourish and be very healthy. Having said that, with nothing to compare, maybe they would have been even better with a nutrient supplement.

During flower cycle, I used a bloom booster called Kushy Kush once a week with regular pH'd water in between. I also used blackstrap molasses every other week. Last two weeks just plain pH'd water with the molasses one time. I was happy with out harvest. Nice size buds with lots of sparkle. I did no topping or training so the yield was less than it could have been. My next grow will utilize topping and training techniques. I was lucky to have no pH problems the entire grow.

So here is my question. What are bare essential nutrients that I should be giving my plants during each phase of growth. I'm not trying to break any records. Just a nice yield with a nice potency. Also I am thinking that the use of additional supplements could mess with my perfect pH, though I hope not.

Suggestions please, and remember my goal is to keep it simple. I'm going to bed now but will respond in the morning to any replies I get.

Thanks so much for any and all who want to give advice.

Ocean Forest by itself will burn your seedlings.
    SSD

Comment

I started a string on November 30 related to your question and the community gave me a lot of good info. I've attempted to attach a link to that post. If it doesn't work, go to a post by me on that date. Good luck.
      I'm using FF Ocean Forest soil for the first time as well as growing clones for the first time. I understand there are nutrients in the soil and I won't need
      I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
      Blue Mystic (7 gal)
      VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
      Coco Coir w/30% perlite
      Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

I use Roots Organic Original that I amend (dolomite/diatomaceous earth/epsom salts/Neem cake) depending on deficiencies previously noted.
        I have grown auto/indicas/sativas with only including a flowertab by Nirvana at the flip- all went well. Ph adjusted water with Protekt- was all I had to do.
        My current grow I am including a very sparse amount of nutes (1/4 strength) at critical times (ie foliage pro-2 weeks before flower and first 2 weeks of flower) and getting very slight tip burn.(good sign)
        You can plant directly in Roots Organic Original seeds/seedling/clones as it is not a hot soil.
        My goal, which will be implemented when my photo plants are finished, is a perpetual harvest every 3 weeks of 2 auto's-that will require only watering every 3-4 days throughout the grow.
        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

This is pretty simple. The amount of nutrients is NOT related to the yield. Food is light. Nutrientad are vitamins. Any deficiency or excess will hurt your yields. But if u had no problem before adding nutrients won't help. Bottom line is. Light=yield

Comment

• Green75
            Green75 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is not the bottom line....

You need both...!!
            Please tell me about your experience growing weed with never using any nutrients, and how did it turn out. I'm curious.

Thanks

• Royal Nugs
            Royal Nugs commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree that light increases yield more than any other factor, but this is assuming an ideal environment. Ideal environment includes a well nourished plant.

• Weed Pharma
            Weed Pharma commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's throw in container size !

My simple grows have shown me I needed:
            #1 more light for tent size/plant canopy
            #2 increased container size
            #3 added nutrients - I amend the soil based on deficiencies found during previous grows.

But clearly without a soil test showing the concentration of the soil nutrients- "I'm shooting in the dark"- which is why a slight tip burn was OK to see.

The important thing is "balance".

Dear insomniazz, the best soil that you can use it's called subcool. Subcool is made by the grower I have the recipe for subcool but it's really a hassle to put together. I use Fox Farms ocean Forest but I also us but I also use Fox Farms happy frog jump start. It may contain the most important nutrient known to the cannabis plant . This one ingredient contains over 35 microbials. It is essential to use the happy frog jump start fertilizer. I am a 100 I am a 100% organic grower. If you will simply use the Happy Frog JumpStart I can assure you that you will have roots as big around as my little finger. But if you use it make sure you are in a large pot container because roots will grow so vigorously they will come out of the bottom of the pot before it time to harvest. Sounds to me you are on the right track as a matter of fact you ar you are on the right track. LST training and transitioning will add 40% to your yield. I have plants that I germinated November 28th and they are several feet high with vigorous flowers. If you need t if you need to ask me anymore questions please feel free to get in touch with me veg dude one. Thank you so much

Comment

• Dagmar
            Dagmar commented
            Editing a comment
            You have 12 day old plants that are "several feet high with vigorous flowers"?

Plants need, "need", micronutrients, cal,mag, etc i think there are about seven or so. They also Need, macronutrients, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and phosphorous. Of the macro stuff the most common deficiencies are nitrogen and phosphorous. Although plants are primary producers they are ironically dependent on consumers, both primary and secondary for nitrogen and phosphorous acquisition.
          SSD

Comment

Insom, Here is what I use. I mean this is ALL I use. To germinate my seeds, I use an old Aero Garden that germinates my seeds in 3-4 days. Then I use Root Organics soil from start to finish. No suppliments or Cal meg or anything like that. As for Nutes. I use only Fox Farm Trio. with a little Molasses at the end of flowering. PHd water. That is all I use. I don't use any of the snake oil that is on the market. One more thing. I use 3 gal. pots. Now you know my secret. LOL

Comment

• Royal Nugs
              Royal Nugs commented
              Editing a comment
              Simple, yet elegant. Ever use beastie bloomz?

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              What I said is all I ever used. To answer your question: No

Originally posted by South Sierra Dude View Post
            Ocean Forest by itself will burn your seedlings.
            This has not been my experience. I've grown basil straight from seed into FFOF with no problems. I also sprouted a Nirvana freebie in a rooter plug and transferred it to FFOF. It did fine for over a week before I tossed it out.

While this is a small sample size, I don't think you'll have problems going straight to FFOF. If you're concerned with this, buy a small bag of Happy Frog and use that to start off in.

I'm getting deja vu....

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
              Insom, Here is what I use. I mean this is ALL I use. To germinate my seeds, I use an old Aero Garden that germinates my seeds in 3-4 days. Then I use Root Organics soil from start to finish. No suppliments or Cal meg or anything like that. As for Nutes. I use only Fox Farm Trio. with a little Molasses at the end of flowering. PHd water. That is all I use. I don't use any of the snake oil that is on the market. One more thing. I use 3 gal. pots. Now you know my secret. LOL
              I do the same and my first crop was better than anything my local shop sells. But those products contain the stuff the plant can't produce so no surprise they work as advertised.
              SSD

Comment

• kingfish
                kingfish commented
                Editing a comment
                One thing to keep in mind. Only use half strength on the Nuts, If it calls for 2 tbls, only give it 1. Always half of everything.

• South Sierra Dude
                South Sierra Dude commented
                Editing a comment
                I started using full strength nutes early and often. My plants are eaters.

Originally posted by Royal Nugs View Post

This has not been my experience. I've grown basil straight from seed into FFOF with no problems. I also sprouted a Nirvana freebie .
              not tying to be argumentative but my statement is accepted by weed circles. It burned the shit out of my plants, all of them. One free seedling and some basil won't6change that. I stand by my statement. Straight Ocean Forest will burn your seedlings.

SSD

Comment

Snake oils...lol

Geesh....to funny

Comment

Hey Green, I did 2 grows with nothing but Roots Organics soil. No Nutes, just water. You will be amazed of the harvest and the quality. Mind you they did turn a bit yellow towards the end. But it can be done.

Comment

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure...your microbes were provided for you...I can see how they would run out towards end. But to call additives ...Snake oil is just not accurate to say. If you are not familiar with any additives other than what you use...don't knock'em...

You as well Will be amazed at what is out there and the difference it can make.

Don't get in a grow groove and acquire blinders

Plenty of good products out there...

• kingfish
                    kingfish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can see your point Green, and maybe snake oil wasn't the correct words. I just don't like spending money on stuff I don't I need. I don't think I need it.

So in my noobness, a place I call last August, I planted a free seed in ten gallons of cocoa coir and super fed them at time of transplant. I gave them six times the amount of the fox farms trio at transplant. Short story, three ounces of kind Blue Mystic and 8 grams of dab from the sugar leaves.
                  Attached Files
                  SSD

Comment

Thanks for al the replies. Great information. I'm not going to get in the fox farm ocean forest will burn my seedlings. I would problem err on the side of caution and use a different soil in the solo cups. We don't have access, other than online to Fox farm or roots organic soil. We used a soil from our local garden shop called Baccto, so maybe I will just use that again. LOL We went from solo cups to 2 gal buckets thinking they would be big enough for final pot. Became root bound and ended up transferring to 5 gal buckets. Since we did not use any supplements or nutrients, I am assuming the Baccto was good stuff. I only mentions Fox Farm ocean because from reading the forum its seems to be highly recommended and the fox farm trio was a brand I was already considering, so I figured it made sense to stick to the same family.

@veg dude1 , you are right, a soil that I have to make myself is not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.

So it does sound like I may be on the right track. I used T5's for veg......love them. I don't know the specifics but we have two 15" square LED's that put out the white, red and blue light. Hubby could probably hook up some cfl's to target special spots. I think though if I can avoid that lovely Christmas tree shape and do more defoliation, that will increase my yield substantially.

Dagmar I will go and read your thread. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X