Silly question about HID bulb alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly question about HID bulb alignment

Is there a difference between horizontal and vertical bulb alignment? Or is it just growers preference? Or growers space limitations?

I see even the CMH reflectors have both styles

I have a 4 foot parabolic (verticle bulb) - so 4ish foot footprint

I need another, and will likely end up with plain $35 wing, until I can set aside the pennies for a cool tube (5Ɨ5 footprint)

DrPhoton will kick in on this, but I liken vertical bulbs and horizontal alignment a bit like a radio carrier wave, vertical or horizontal polarization. Both offer differing results and are used for their unique qualities, for me I always prefer horizontal alignment as I feel the footprint is more natural, with vertical it is omnidirectional but seems limited in its coverage and seems more useful in small space environments to give lighting in areas of shadow. Iā€™m probably totally wrong on this and DrPhoton will give a far better and accurate science on your question.

Comment

DrPhoton there you go. He likes to talk lights.

Comment

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I'd like to hear what DrPhoton can tell us about this subject. šŸ˜‰

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol that was me cq ing for other ops and wondering if anyone got the ref.

Yes, the horizontal bulb sends light downward towards the floor (half the light is directly sent and the other half is weakened through reflection). Vertical bulbs send the light towards the walls (no losses through reflection if using a cool tube). Just remember that direct light is always much stronger than reflected light.
      Plant set up and arrangement is much different for each style, might want to consider that before making your final decision.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
        LurkingInTheGrass commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you - more food for thought

Yes when verticle bulbs are used with reflectors, they allow better light uniformity as it forces most of the light to bounce off the reflector. Where as horizontal bulbs have roughly half of their light directed away from the reflector. The horizontal system saves on reflection losses as half the light does not have to interact with the reflector and instead is directed towards the intended area. Which increases hotspots.

Parabolic hoods are common reflectors that use verticle systems as it more naturally distributes the light evenly.

So one must weigh up whether they want superior uniformity or reduced optical losses. Which can be quite substantial. A standard 600w HID bulb can loose around 18 percent of light with horizontal systems. Imagine what verticle would loose.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systemsā€‹
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

Vertical is the way to go! Vertical lights w/parabolic hoods grow AWESOME plants!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3732.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	247906

*sigh....
        H.I.D. Lighting is like cassette players or VHS: works great but the future is brighter. (LEDs)

šŸ˜ŒšŸŒ²šŸŒ³šŸ’š

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X