Tissue culture for the hobby grower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tissue culture for the hobby grower

Hello all. I wanted to open a discussion about storing genetics/phenos in the form of tissue culture.
    I am a small time medical/hobby grower that only provides for self and family. I was wondering if this was a new system I could possibly implement for my genetic/pheno storage for the strains I just can’t grow enough of! I need to know if this would be efficient from a management perspective. Financial and practicality are my main concerns, time spent and risk of losing genetics are another.
    Here is my issue, I like to have a bunch of genetics “on call” to use at my disposal, but I have limited available space. Typically I would keep these in seed form. This has worked for me in the past, but now I am developing my skills further and have a particular interest in keeping specific phenos for traits I desire. This makes seed storage less appealing and tissue culture storage seem more appealing to me.
    My questions are can I store genetics long term using tissue culture? What are the pros and cons?
    I am limited on space to keep mothers, but can keep 4 different strains going at one time. I would like to create a small tissue culture lab (using the word lab very loosely here), so I can store many more strains for use at a later date. Would this system work for my needs? What are the pros and cons?
    I don’t really have an interest in making thousands of replicas. Even thought that would be awesome! Lol I am more interested in the method of tissue culture to save specific genetics/ phenos long term for use at a later date.
    Please indicate if you currently use tissue culture in your grows. Thanks guys!! Looking forward to how this discussion goes.
    Cheers!!
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Welcome, Toker
    What you're discussing is one of the true challenges of hobby grows-keeping a particular strain/phenotype available to keep growing. I suspect that it would be possible to use a similar cloning method like used on orchids but in the end, it's probably easier to just keep a few mothers around.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah...I do keep mothers already. How do you combat genetic drift after long tine of cloning her? Or changes in the mother plant over time due to environmental stress? I’m looking for a method that is a bit more stable for the long term.

That's a question for Ed Rosenthal - I'm sure he has scientific friends in the know.

I'll stick with keeping my seed supply in the refrigerator - lasts for years.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, same here. The seeds in the refrigerator has worked for me in the past...but this doesn’t help when I am looking to store pheno types.

Thanks guys. So I have been keeping mothers. Been quite successful so far with only a hand full of problems. Lol
    I currently have 2 mimosa seeds I popped, and I grew out 2 amazing looking phenos. 1 tall with thinner leaves (probably related to the clementine genetics) and 1 short with fat leaves (probably the purple punch genetics). I want to mess with both, and if I want to keep them...eventually I have to make space in my mother room. If 2 of my 4 mothers are mimosa... I’m limited to 3 strains total available to use. And I still have more seeds to pop. :-/
    i guess this is a good problem to have, which is why I am exploring other options.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X