24 or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 or not.

So is it worth the extra cost to run 24/0 in veg or does 18/6 do it? This is a simple question but does anybody truly know?

Well first are you talking photos or autos? And ask @dangerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Redwasp View Post
      Well first are you talking photos or autos? And ask @dangerdan
      Sorry man, photos in vegatative. Seems like an easy way to save 25% on the electric bill if the gain isn't 25% on the veg side for the additional 6 hours.

Comment

With photos it is not really worth the extra cost from my experience and from what I have read. Yes they grow faster but not enough to account for the cost.

Comment

Check my article on light cycles.
          Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systems
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies
          How To Compare Grow Lights
          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't know you had another alias DrPhoton. 😕

I did 24/0 for first three weeks of the plants life, then switched to 18/6 but these were photos, and honestly like others say such as Redwasp and DrPhoton, I can’t see the advantage for the amount of energy given, so I’d save on the power. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I agree with NG. I don't see much of a advantage except a bigger light bill. Besides, it doesn't seem natural. 18/6 for me.

Comment

I've always considered 24 hours of light too much light, even for autos. Plants, just like us, need a little break. 24 hours of pure, uninterrupted light just seems unnecessary and a bit stressful for the plants. Not to mention on your wallet. I understand some growers do just that with good results. Still, IMO, it just seems too harsh for me to try on my plants. So yea, I agree with the rest of the posters here; 18/6 all the way for your photos.
              Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
              White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• hycheese
                hycheese commented
                Editing a comment
                You have to channel KFC's methodology, using modified genetics they can grow a chicken from egg to table inside of 6 weeks. I equate this to be the same with Auto plants.

I only raise laying hens but did look into meat birds and if you let them go past 8 weeks of age they usually die from heart attacks or break their own legs from the fast weight they put on.

• Redwasp
                Redwasp commented
                Editing a comment
                We are talking about photo plants here

Well, I'm gonna be the only dissenter here, not because I know anything about growing but rather that I read it on the internet. Here is a blurb from my Sour60auto seed supplier;

"Indoors, with a light regiment of 18/6, or 12/12, she will do fantastic, but she excels under 24 hours of constant light"

My seedlings have been under 24/0 for the last 14 days and will continue that until harvest and use it as a comparison for my next batch which will be done at 18/6.
              For my 2 lights (200watt total), the difference between running 24 vs 18 is only $3.60 a month.
              Sour60 autos.
              3 gal grow bags 70/30 coco/perlite.
              26"x 44"x 78" tall grow area.
              2 - 300 watt HyberGrow full spectrum LEDs (actual 105watts).

Comment

• Smokesteve
                Smokesteve commented
                Editing a comment
                Right for autos not so for photos

• hycheese
                hycheese commented
                Editing a comment
                I see that now from post #3, I'm still gonna pretend I didn't see it.

Originally posted by Cannabliss View Post
              I've always considered 24 hours of light too much light, even for autos. Plants, just like us, need a little break. 24 hours of pure, uninterrupted light just seems unnecessary and a bit stressful for the plants. Not to mention on your wallet. I understand some growers do just that with good results. Still, IMO, it just seems too harsh for me to try on my plants. So yea, I agree with the rest of the posters here; 18/6 all the way for your photos.

Completely agree here, I have my plants on a 6/2 veg cycle three times a day to help encourage root development, check out my current perpetual grow
              Grow and good luck
              Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

• Cannabliss
                Cannabliss commented
                Editing a comment
                Just checked it out. Nice work! 6/2 veg cycle 3x a day. Interesting. Haven't tried a schedule like that before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boratnot.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	246502
              You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
                NAKEDGARDENER commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a friend looks just like him.

I say that the extra electricity you use, does not pay for itself in final product.
              completed 7 grows
              what I have learned so far:
              environment maters more than nutrients
              at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
              effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Anything over 17.5 hours a day, is not cost effective for the yield gains and the increased risk of stressing the plant.
                That said, cannabis does not need a break from the light cycle which is why 24hrs works for so many.

I take a middle of the road approach and start my seeds @ 24hrs of lights (mostly for wamth) until the 4-5 node and then reduce it to 20/4 through flower for auto's. (photo's flower @ 12/12).

Many seed companies will suggest 14-18 hours of light (auto's included) reducing the stress factor, too much light/heat may cause.

Any adjustments to my light schedule- has more to do with controling the enviroment- which in turn will provide a better grow overall.
                It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X