Led and cob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led and cob

So I just found out about cob LED lights. And I'm trying to figure out if they are better than the classic LED grow lights that have the RGB spectrum. Is cob LED the newest technology? I've only seen 1 cob LED in all my searching for grow lights .So I'm assuming they aren't very popular .Can anyone explain them to me? I get the fact that cob means chip on board though! ๐Ÿ’ก๐Ÿ”ฆ๐Ÿ˜

DrPhoton N is your man for this question, if you want specifics.

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha thanks dude I'll see what he says!

I use 4 55 w autocobs. They are easy to work around, no ballast needed, give off little heat, especially compared to hps, and they hardly affect my electric bill. If you're interested in them, go to afn.com. In the grow light companies forum, you will find everything you need to know about autocobs. talk to BigSmo to get one if you are interested. He's the guy that sells them.
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad man, I thought that was the name of the site lol. It's autoflower.net

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Here, I'll just copy the link here so it will bring you right to the page.

Yes, they are a little more pricey than some lights, but I know I have saved in the long run using these compared to any other lights. You can check out some of my grows in my signature to see them in action. I've used them since halfway through my first grow.

I grow only autos, generally 4 plants at a time. My average harvest has been 8 O's, but I've had some plants yielded 5 O's by themselves, and my last harvest of only 3 plants got me 14.67oz, one plant off that grow came in at 9.85 oz. I think they are worth it, but to each their own of course.

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      That's legit dude! I'll check that out thanks I'll also check out your grows!

I have 12 vero29 generation 7 and they rock the house. Don't look up
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower ๐ŸŒบ
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol I almost didn't get it when you said "don't look up" haha I bet! One thing I love about cobs is they don't give off purple light you can see the real green of the plant

COBs serve a purpose of their own. Which is primarely for DIY.

But they are less efficient compared to traditional surface mount diodes because of convection of heat and the concentration of that heat on the chips themselves. Alll of the best high end fixtures are made using surface mount diodes, which is the only way to go for maximum efficiency, which again is to do with heat dissipation.

Personally, based on my understanding on electronics, light physics and photobiology. I would not buy a COB led unless i was planning to DIY one myself.

RosettaStoned has a DIY kit which he assembled himself, its does perform pretty well.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systemsโ€‹
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

• RosettaStoned
      RosettaStoned commented
      Editing a comment
      If I do that I'll move them all and get those lens too.

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      Liking the new name Dan, much more appropriate

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      That's some good info dude thanks! Are you dangerdan? It's funny cause the cobs are way more expensive than the surface mounted LEDs when comparing the same amount of watts per light. I wonder why that is! Haha but I'll stick with my mars hydro 102w panels for now thanks so much again man! What do you think of mars hydro lights? DrPhoton

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X