Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First grow advice please regarding harvest time and strain type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow advice please regarding harvest time and strain type.

Hi there - this is my very first grow. I dont really know what I'm doing but have followed the advice on this fantastic site . I've grown my plants from two clones I was gifted from a group of people who grow for medicinal purposes. They didn't know the strain. Here in NZ we have a lot of White Widow, but I really dont know what it is. The plants are 13 weeks old now. It's aroma is quite a bit like citrus/pine/floral. My questions are 1. An ideas about the strain (I know thats a hard one but thought I'd ask just in case) and 2. I'm puzzled about whether they are ready to harvest. They are 13 weeks old now, no further fattening or growth on the buds. They dont have a lot of amber happening on the pistols, but looking at the trichome's they are looking more milky than glassy to me. I dont want a total couch lock but need to feel relaxed and slightly sleepy. Some euphoria would be good but no racing thoughts. Because this is my first grow, I really am not sure if I should flush now ready to harvest next week? I'm growing in coco coir. Thanks for your wisdom and experience in advance

Hey Kimmy88 welcome to this forum. I'm not going to try and guess the strain - definitely not a blueberry or blackberry genotype - but if its for medical purposes I would guess it might be higher on the CBD percentage than most sativas.

First tip I can give you is check the trichomes on the calyxes. Those sac-like looking thingies underneath the buds. As it ripens up those calyxes swell up to make it easier to see them. You want to see just a hint of amber on those trichomes before you begin to swing your ax.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Kimmy88
      Kimmy88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks Canuck147.....I'll check the calyxes as soon as they are awake again tonight....I appreciate your advice.

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes it's hard to get at em. I take mine out of the tent and sometimes have to bend the branch over to get at em. Although got a Colorado Cookies ripening now which I started outside and her stem is firm, no bending over any branches - so I take her outside put er up on something so I can look underneath her............hehehe sounds almost lewd.

Regarding harvest time I airways refer to this. Click image for larger version

Name:	when-to-harvest-cannabis-diagram.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	242760 they look yummy btw 😉 great job!
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• Kimmy88
      Kimmy88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chefbjy....I'm not sure how well I'm actually doing as I've not done this before...very helpful feedback.

Hi Kimmy, maybe this will help you get a good look at trichomes: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...chomes-clearly
    Last edited by alltatup; 08-31-2018, 03:55 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s not his problem he doesn’t know the strain name, he guesses it’s a white widow because it’s common

• Kimmy88
      Kimmy88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi alltatup, yeah, just guessing, but the whole strain thing really interests me. Trouble is that it's totally illegal here in NZ, so getting seeds of any kind is really impossible, and I'm already dealing with enough in terms of being unwell to risk getting caught trying to bring in seeds too. I'd love to get some Northern Lights, as thats been recommended for my particular disease, or Northern Wreck, but no luck via word of mouth here in kiwi-land.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Kimmy88 Strains and chemovars really interest me, too. Here's another discussion I started on that issue:

(Not trying to promote myself, just trying to help! ;-}

So it's illegal to possess seeds in NZ: that is too bad!! Not that there's much difference in US: the seeds aren't illegal, but the moment I germinate them, I'm in outlaw land. If you have a friend who lives elsewhere, perhaps they could send you some NL seeds, very carefully.

To me, it appears that there are a lot of white hairs left on it, which tells me it still has a little bit longer to go. I can't vouch for the trichomes because I can't really see them, but generally all your hairs should turn orangish before it's time to chop. Of course, the trichomes will always tell the story better!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Kimmy88
      Kimmy88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks so much mcubed476

The strain is a sativa dominant strain- as evident by the leaves and the slight foxtail type bud pattern.

They are not ready to harvest and sativas often take a breather for a 7-10 days before putting on the final weight (my guess is you are in this phase)- don't chop, lol

Most pistols will need to darken a lot more before they are done.- don't chop.
    The trichomes are cloudy, but I didn't see any ambers when I enlarged the pics- don't chop now, lol
    The trichomes will eventually topple from the weight and once you begin to see ambers- then it's time to begin water only and let them rippen.
    Once you begin water the harvest window begins and usually lasts 1 week or more. chop anytime after a first couple of days water only.

The plant will slow down/halt drinking- as it gets to the very end of life and trichomes may turn grey- but this is not what you want for your desired effects.

Do not start the flush yet- as you have the last growth spurt which puts on weight coming soon!
    THEN CHOP!!
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Fantastic Weed Pharma, thanks so much for that info

Comment

Just a footnote to the above thread started by me....I took all advice offered, waited for another fortnight then harvested when I noted a few more amber and all cloudy trichomes. I only use edibles, as my lungs are compromised by my disease so I cannot vape, smoke etc. I cured for another three weeks. The resulting canna butter was perfect for what I wanted. A nice euphoric yet relaxing high, followed by the slow leisurely onset of a mild to medium couch lock, and consequently a great sleep. My pain levels are excellent compared to normal, and thats what I consume cannabis for for the most part, so I'm very pleased with my first effort. Two more ladies are two weeks into flowering just now, so here's hoping for another excellent result. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

• Doubledealing72
          Doubledealing72 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad we could help! That's wonderful to hear it turned out so well for you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X