How should I train this tall plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I train this tall plant?

This plant is a Nirvana Maui Waui fem growing in organically amended soil in the ground. It is now around 63" tall and I am at ~33 degree latitude. It's on the corner of my property, so it can be tended to a couple times a week. What should I do to train it? I know there's many combinations. The following options are what I'm considering:
    • Should I top it, and if so, how many nodes down should I top it? The third node's a long way down.
    • Should I only super crop it?
    • Should I just bend it and LST without any topping or super cropping?
    I'm really leaning towards topping it, because I've done it to a plant(another Maui) repeatedly, starting when it was at ~5 nodes. But, if I top a couple nodes down from the top on this tall plant, then later top the new growth tips, will that cause weight balance issues for this plant? I want to support it with a trellis either way.

Btw, I can't seem to upload new photos, so these two are older. And yes, a deer stepped on the base several weeks ago and snapped the plant just above the ground and now she's got a loop at her base. lol

Are you legal? Are you trying to hide it?

Comment

Just bend her over and tie her down. If you want to top her, go ahead but I would just LST.

Comment

• Shade
        Shade commented
        Editing a comment
        It is very pliable, so I've tested bending it down and it could definitely work without super cropping the internal structure. I might do LST with some stakes and soft ties as it grows

I would supercrop, bend her over, put a stake in the ground and tie it to her.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

Either technique will work- I tend to supercrop-just squash the stem and fold her over.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X