315 LEC Grow Journal w/ Coco Coir + 8 Autoflowering Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

315 LEC Grow Journal w/ Coco Coir + 8 Autoflowering Plants

Hello all! I have seen so many forum members get great results with their 315 LEC grow journals so I decided it was time to try this light out We decided to grow using the Sea of Green style with many smaller plants to try to maximize yields in the shortest amount of time. I was happy with the results I got with auto-flowering plants back in 2014 and I know the genetics have improved greatly since then. It's also hard to beat a 3-month harvest! So we decided to use auto-flowering strains as opposed to switching photoperiod plants to the flowering stage when they are 3-4 weeks old (which is typically how you would do a Sea of Green).

Autoflowering Strains:Grow Light: Sun System 315 LEC grow light using a 4200k colored bulb, on 18/6 light schedule

Grow Space: 2'x4'x5' grow tent with a standard 6"x16" carbon filter and Can Max 6-inch 334 CPM exhaust fan to control heat and smell. We initially tried using a smaller 6"x8" carbon filter because it fit in the small tent much easier, but by week 3 the plants were already smelling enough that the smaller filter wasn't cutting it. We switched to the standard 6"x16" filter we typically use in the 600W tent and that's been working great. I sort of knew the 6"x8" carbon filter was too good to be true because it weighed only a few pounds compared to the regular carbon filter which is heavy. It didn't seem like it had very much carbon in it. We are using a temperature/humidity monitor with a probe that hangs into the tent, sort of similar to this one.

Growing Medium: Coco coir mix (70% Coco/30% Perlite) I bought it premixed, and one 50L bag was able to fill 8 x 2-gallon smart pots with enough coco left over to fill one or two more pots

Click image for larger version  Name:	50l-of-pre-mixed-coco-about-to-go-into-eight-2-gallon-smart-pots.jpg Views:	1 Size:	216.4 KB ID:	230955

Started germinating seeds on June 28 via this germination method. In fact, if you click that link you can actually see the process of these particular seeds getting germinated, as I just updated the tutorial to use their pictures We saw roots on most seeds by June 30, 2018 (pictured below). We initially wanted to grow 8 different strains, so we germinated two seeds each of eight strains, thinking that we could choose one seedling from each set. However, the Mephisto, Barney's Farm and Royal Queen seeds didn't germinate nearly as fast as the rest! They all cracked open, but none of them had shown their taproot by day 2, while every single other seed had germinated and was going strong.

Click image for larger version  Name:	germinated-marijuana-seedlings-with-labels.jpg Views:	1 Size:	286.8 KB ID:	230956

We put all the seeds in Rapid Rooters on June 30, even the slow germinating ones. Here is what we saw on July 1, 2018, only a day after the germinated seeds were placed in Rapid Rooters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	germinated-seedlings-in-rapid-rooters.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.7 KB ID:	230947

The "good" ones were growing fast already! In fact, some of the seedlings were already getting too tall from lack of light, while the "duds" still hadn't shown their leaves. We opened the Rapid Rooters, and you could see the slow-germinating ones had very small taproots, and probably needed a few more days to finish germinating. We made the executive decision to abandon all the seeds by Mephisto, Barney's Farm and Royal Queen Seeds, and chose the eight sprouted seedlings we thought looked the best. We wanted all the plants to be fast-growing and at the same stage of life (auto-flowering plants are on a tight internal life schedule and they start flowering within 3 weeks of germination). And that's how we ended up with two unique strains and three sets of doubles instead of eight different strains.

Before inserting the seedlings, I watered the pots of coco coir so they'd be nice and moist all the way through. The pots are on trays that are on a slight incline, so runoff water always pools to the front. This makes it easy to use a wet vacuum to suck up runoff water.

Click image for larger version  Name:	watering-the-coco-coir-before-inserting-plants.jpg Views:	1 Size:	312.1 KB ID:	230948

I inserted the Rapid Rooters with the seedlings that we'd chosen

Click image for larger version  Name:	make-a-hole-in-the-coco-coir-to-insert-rapid-rooter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	400.6 KB ID:	230949

Click image for larger version  Name:	insert-rapid-rooter-into-hole.jpg Views:	1 Size:	253.2 KB ID:	230950

Click image for larger version  Name:	just-planted-in-coco-coir-with-rapid-rooter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	357.6 KB ID:	230952

Three done, five more to go!

Click image for larger version  Name:	three-seeds-planted-five-left-to-go.jpg Views:	1 Size:	286.5 KB ID:	230951

Here they are two days later on July 3, about to get watered with seedling-strength nutrients at 5.8 pH

Click image for larger version  Name:	three-day-old-seedlings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	364.2 KB ID:	230953

This is just the first installment. I'm out of time now, but I have many more updates coming soon for you!

Great start and very detailed. Definitely stubbing in on this one.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Very nice, this is gonna be a good one to follow,
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Hi Nebula, I'm in. Hope you enjoy the same great results I've had with a Sun 315.

Comment

I gave nutrients every watering for the first three weeks to help "charge" the coco with nutrients. After that I switched to giving plain pH'ed water every other watering.

Week 1 - July 1-7, 2018

Seedling strength nutrients: 1/4 tsp/gallon each of Flora Micro, Gro, and Bloom. 1 tsp/gallon of CaliMagic, and 1 tsp/gallon Hydroguard (optional, for root health)

I watered them every other day or so with seedling strength nutrients. I didn't want to overwater them, so I only watered a little around the seedlings at first (about 2 gallons for all eight plants per watering). The 315 LEC is about 18" away. Some of the seedlings got a little too tall before they were installed into the tent, when they were only getting the light from a window, and you can see some seedlings are falling over a little. Don't worry, they'll do a "push-up" and straighten themselves out soon.

Here they are July 6, at almost a week old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-week-old-seedlings-in-smart-pots.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	231357

Week 2 - July 8-14, 2018

In week two I watered with vegetative strength nutrients at 5.9 pH until the smart pots felt wet at the bottom, but not enough to get runoff. That took about 3 gallons of nutrient water in total for all eight plants per watering. At this point, they're still getting nutrients with every watering. I continued watering them every 2-3 days. In addition to feeling the topsoil to see if it's still wet, I have been picking up the pots to see when they start feeling light, which indicates they're relatively low on water. The plants that feel more light end up getting more water.

Vegetative strength nutrients: 1/2 tsp/gallon each of Flora Micro, Gro, and Bloom. 1 tsp/gallon of CaliMagic, and 1 tsp Hydroguard (optional, for root health)

July 8 (beginning of week 2)

Name:	beginning-week-2-seedlings.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	231358

Week 3- July 15-21, 2018

Continued watering the plants with vegetative strength nutrients every 2-3 days. Now I'm watering until they got about 10% runoff water out the bottom, which took a little over 3 gallons of water in total for all eight plants.

All plants had 4-5 nodes by this point, which means these auto-flowering plants are growing fast enough to be topped (when auto-flowering plants are growing slowly to start, it can be a bad idea to top them because you risk stunting them further).

July 15 (beginning of week 3) - Plants get topped (removed top node and top fan leaves from all plants)

Name:	plant-about-to-be-topped.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	231359

Name:	plant-just-topped.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	231360

If you look closely, you can see pistils on that plant, indicating it is female. All of the seeds were feminized, which means all plants should become bud-bearing female plants, but it's always a good idea to double-check and make sure A male plant can accidentally pollinate your grow room. By this point, nearly all the plants have put out a few pistils or at least pre-flowers.

This plant has a female pre-flower, but the pistil hasn't emerged yet. Female pre-flowers tend to be pointy, while male preflowers are more rounded. The green growths are called "stipules" and don't have anything to do with gender. Here's a diagram that helps indicate the difference between male and female pre-flowers.

Name:	female-pre-flower-no-pistil-yet.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	231361

Here are all eight plants post-topping on July 15.

Name:	3-week-old-auto-flowers-post-topping.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	231362

Here they are at the end of week 3 on July 21. I was pretty shocked at how fast they are growing. They're definitely developing faster than when I grew auto-flowering plants under the 250W HPS in 2014. I don't know if it's the LEC grow light, improved genetics, or some other environmental factor, but so far I'm impressed!

Name:	bushy-monsters-3-weeks-old.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	231363

More updates coming soon!

Comment

Looking great Nebula! When you say you are giving them nutes every 2-3 days, are you using plain water on the days in between or just watering them every 2-3 days? I generally go no longer than 2 days when they are that age, but eventually I go to watering every day (with nutes). Just curious!

Can't wait to see how you do!
            Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              We've been watering them every 2-3 days, depending on how wet they feel. For the first 3 weeks we gave them nutrients every watering to help "charge" the coco (since it naturally has zero nutrients) but starting the beginning of week 4, we began giving plain pH'ed water every other watering.

Looking great! How are your temps with 315? My grow area is about the same size as yours (1 foot taller) and my 6" exhaust fan pulls the same cfm but heat has been a challenge for me. I have to use one 12" oscillating fan and two 6" stationary fans to keep temps at optimal levels.
            DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
            315 LEC
            6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
            6" Carbon filter
            3- 6" fans
            humidifier
            temp and humidity gauge
            5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
            FF trio nutrients

Comment

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              I've found the inside of the tent to be about 2°F hotter than the outside of the tent with the setup we have. So the temp inside has depended on the temperature in the room. What exhaust fan are you using? I've found that the CFM rating isn't necessarily the best indicator of strength. Some of those cheap metal "ducting fans" are extremely weak despite a high official CFM. When the tent is way hotter than the room, there might be a way to improve the exhaust system and get the temperatures closer together. I have noticed that running the light with the exhaust does bring up the temperature in the room 2-3 degrees unless we've got a window open.

Subbed...it's too bad about the Mephisto seeds, great genetics. I've been interested in using lec too. Looking forward to following along 😉.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too! I wonder if we got duds. The seeds from Mephisto appeared mature but they were both smaller than any seeds I've seen, which seemed weird. Although they cracked open by the third day, they were taking so long compared to the other plants (which were already putting out leaves) that we chose to abandon them and focus on the fastest-growing plants. I have seen some really impressive results with Mephisto genetics, so I was definitely a little disappointed we didn't get to try one of their strains this run.

NebulaHaze ,wow, your plants are beautiful, are you using a Phillips bulb-lamp,in your 315cmh?
            And also are you using your lux meter ?
            And if you are what are your readings at 18inches?
            My lux readings at 18inches were low, with my 315cmh, and was told to use the same readings you get from a 600watt hps, don't know if thats right or not, just wondering what kind of lux readings, you are getting.
            Beautiful, healthy looking plants.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a "CDM-T 315 Watt LEC brand lamp" in 4200k color. It came with the Sun System. We purchased it via this Amazon listing

I got out the lux meter and at about 18" from the bulb, I was reading around 50,000 lux. The system puts out the most light on the middle four plants, and the plants on the outer edges of the 2'x4' tent are getting between 25,000 lux-40,000 lux.

Beautiful nebula! I’m actually starting to grow again for my grandma and I’m so glad I got to see such a great example of a journal so I can start up right!
            Grow and good luck
            Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X