newbees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbees

as I scroll though all the threads I have been noticing alot of untopped plants , I know its hard to get to a point that you feel comfortable to cut the tops when you start growing but it really is necessary for the plant to spread out . Read up on topping and training plants, it will make you a better grower and increase your yields good luck and welcome
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

I second this, when I was younger I did two experiments. First is a christmas tree, second was a topping (just one, i regret not doing more!)

It was outdoors, and short summer season.

Result: Xmas tree aprox 2oz.
    Topped: Over 4 oz

Amazing the results just from one little snip

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

I have to respectfully disagree. Just look at my current grow.

Comment

• MrGreenGenes
        MrGreenGenes commented
        Editing a comment
        pictures?

• kingfish
        kingfish commented
        Editing a comment
        It's currently ongoing. Look for "Started new grow"
        Last edited by kingfish; 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM.

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        kingfish your not a newbie lol in the last week I've seen a bunch of little spindly plants that if topped would grow way more ,

I beat the apical dominance by making sure that the MAIN top is never the tallest part of the plant. Just keep bending her.

Comment

• Qwertywill
        Qwertywill commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like that idea, grow it in a spiral maybe?

I have to agree with oldjarhead100 and kingfish topping or just watching them grow naturally is one's own preference. I have topped in the past and will again but just sometimes I let them grow naturally just for differences. To me it's all an experiment.
      But the trick using a tent is what you do to one - you should do to all that you are currently growing. Just easier.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• kingfish
        kingfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Canuck147 I may not top them, but I always bend the crap out of them. I never let them grow naturally.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with @kingfish,, with autoflowers if you want big plants, with lots an lots of colas-heads ,, bending is the way to go, plus it doesn't slow them down one bit.

No xmas trees here. I've learned that topping and training is almost a necessity using a T5/florescent fixture. I enjoy it that way. Maybe someday I'll get an HPS and grow some tall ones, too.
      FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
      Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
      Flower 600w HPS
      alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
      1st grow White Widow
      Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

I agree there needs to be some form of training done in order to create more flowers. Topping fimmimg suppercropping and lst all help break apical dominance and promote more budsites. Doing a side by side with autos right now in my shop grow. I have 2 strains each with one topped plant. Keeping the canopy even is the ultimate goal, for me anyways. 8 colas on the one I topped that's flowering and 8 on the one that isn't topped. They sure aren't Christmas trees 😆. Pics in my signature (shop grow).
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

You're right about the trepidation by new growers on topping plants. My first grow I followed GWE exactly and waited for 6 nodes(looked like it to me) and topped down to the third node. It was great, but probably would've overwhelmed my tiny grow box.

On my other 3 grows I haven't topped at all scared the plants would not be able to recover for whatever reason.

Comment

• MrGreenGenes
            MrGreenGenes commented
            Editing a comment
            Likewise, I followed GWE exactly and waited for 6 nodes and topped down to 3rd. Worked great. I kept doing this topping up until 2 weeks before flower. I had a long 9 week vegetative period in 3 gallon pots. One of the plants had over 40 bud sites. Which I think is low? But they are in 3 gallon pots and only 2' feet tall.

To take the fear out, I think about what nature throws at a wild plant. Spend a little time looking closely at weeds, brush, and trees in a natural landscape and you'll see that they do some amazing things to survive. Deer and rabbits eat the tops and lower leaves off of many plants yet most of them just grow new leaves and bloom anyway. It's their survival "instinct". I think of rabbits when I'm plucking unwanted fan leaves. I never go too far, though... I want it to not only survive, but thrive.
          FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
          Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
          Flower 600w HPS
          alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
          1st grow White Widow
          Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

I started this thread to tell new growers not to be afraid maybe I didn't make that clear enough I do have a way of rambling myself right off point lol I have had grows where I didn't top and others I topped this grow I have manifolded plants and topped plants both are big and healthy ,so do what you feel comfortable with just dont be afraid to experiment .

I have this plant in an outdoor grow that got absolutely destroyed all the branches were broken off ,so bad I didn't water it I came back on the next watering and there was new growth ,now the only way you can tell is the branches laying beside it lol
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I'm very much a rookie at this. This is my first grow. We had a rough start but now we are finally seeing some results from all the hard work..This site has been an absolute life saver. You can ask questions without risk of having someone call u a dumb dumb for asking it. Is it to late for us to top our plants,,would it be beneficial to them at this point? Thanks for all the help..

Comment

• Canuck147
                Canuck147 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just bend them over if you have to.

• oldjarhead100
                oldjarhead100 commented
                Editing a comment
                for a first grow you are doing fantastic are they still in veg if so you can top but as big as they are I think canuks right just bend them over and tie them

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X