Hydroponic Growers Group!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydroponic Growers Group!

Thought I’d start a feed specifically for the hydro growers of the GWE family. If you’re growing in any type of Hydroponic medium, or are interested in possibly getting your feet wet (pun intended), I encourage you to subscribe and post any questions you have about your systems, plants, PH, EC, water temperatures, feeding schedules, or anything else related to Hydroponic growing. My hope is to create a community of “like-minded” and “like-systemed” people that can openly discuss their questions, problems, mistakes, successes, and an awesome place to show off what you’re running.

Personally, I’m a Hydroponic farmer in the state of Hawaii. I grow all types of Hydroponic vegetables, as well as just recently began my journey through cannabis cultivation. I’m happy to help in any way I can!

Theres no rules to where conversation can go and no such thing as a highjack here! Let’s have some fun playing in the water!!!

I encourage the only other two full Hydroponic growers of GWE I know of join the discussion Obi-Wan Dr.Moggs as well as our coco king Campesino because as much as he thinks he’s special he’s still technically soilless and Hydroponic😜

if you’re new to GWE or been here for years and you grow in hydroponic mediums I encourage you to post and subscribe to this channel. Can’t wait to see what comes into discussion!!!
    Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

That's very nice of you, but if I lived in Hawaii, all my growing would be outside in that beautiful Hawaiian sunshine, and save my light and water bill for something else, But that's just me, no light compares to the sun,lol
    I know some folks are handicapped and can't get outside, though.
    But the sun does wonders ,
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that outdoor Hawaii grown is some of that dank dank! But there’s so much problems with bud rot growing outdoors here. We hold a 70% humidity most the time. And that’s not the muggy days!!!

Oh! You got that right! Electric over here is worse than anywhere in the country! We average I believe 31 cents a kilowatt hour!!! 400$ electric bills all year round!!!

Nice Initiative IslandColas !
    Hawaii sounds Amazing.

I grow indoors because of an privacy issue. I also have short summers and cold winters. (Down to -30°C) Summer gets as warm as max 35°C.
    I see hydroponics as the Real experience of growing since I am in total controll. Total controll have both pros and cons but I want to master the technique😁

Peace ! ☮

​​​​​​​

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Dr.Moogs, it is a little faster maybe, but it's not anything hard about it, I got twin 15year old boy grandchildren that grow that way, And if they can do it ,anyone can. Good Luck with yours.

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds great that your grandchild are taking an interest in growing.
      I'm just amazed over the hydroponic way to grow because of the level of controll you have. From plain water to an culture for my roots and plants to thrive in.

When I one day own an house/apartment with an yard I'll be sure to try my first sunfeed grow 🌞

As hydro growers, we all except the fact we’re people with control problems😂
    Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• abadtrip
      abadtrip commented
      Editing a comment
      Control problems I grow in hydro because I am a lazy pothead

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      abadtrip
      hahahaha LOL , just love your comment 😅

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Control, we don't need no stinking control.. Just a half case of 100ml beakers and gals of strange liquids occupying space.

I sat here chuckling - wondering how I should reply! Still am, but figured I'd write that!

Special!? I think Coco is special - but I just think that I have the aforementioned control problems!

I am absolutely soil-less and happy to be welcomed by the hydro group!

Cheers IslandColas

Comment

DWC is more convenient for me, I started in Coco and the constant fertigation was taxing without an auto feed setup. After weighing my options I decided to go DWC but I don’t believe DWC offers any advantages to the plants that aren’t also available in Coco when setup and executed properly.

Hydroponics in general requires a steep learning curve to effectively give the plants what they need, when they need it. I’ve seen and read a number of journals where growers have been able to “get by” in hydro with less than ideal conditions and dedication, but in the end their results were less than ideal as well. It’s one thing to do it, but doing it well takes knowledge, skill, and dedication.
      Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
        Dr.Moggs commented
        Editing a comment
        Very voice words. @Obi-Wan
        Not that I except anything other than just that from an old Jedi!
        I am one of those growers who had started an more advanced grow than what would fit a beginner. However, this have made me dedicate myself a lot to the plants. Maby it's not an optimal way to start, I would recommend other begginers to start easier but Oooh have i learnt a lot!

I want to take my first grow to goal and than start the next one where I can avoid doing same mistakes that I have done now.
        Quote:
        "And these blast points, too accurate for sandpepole. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise"
        "And these exact values, to accurate for an uninteressted grower. Only a dedicated grower could be so precise."
        Thanks for being here Obi !

I started off with DWC being most convinient for stealth...
      Could have the entire set off a friend for very cheap.

First started off, just like that in Jan, but then I found GWE - wealth of info.
      tickles the imagination of how you what you could do with continuous measuring of pH & EC and right quantities of nutrients.
      naturally the plants need TLC as well.

subscribed to this feed
      GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
      2x CDMH 315W lights
      870m3/hr fan
      8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

I started growing indoors with DWC years ago, growing leafy greens, herbs and some pretty hot peppers (Carolina Reaper anyone? lol) because I couldn't get any decent sun where I currently reside. Wasn't until about 2 years ago that I started growing my own medicinal weed, basically utilizing the same techniques. I still buy oils and such, which is why I don't need to grow many plants. However, I consider the experience of growing cannabis in DWC much more challenging, soothing, and more enjoyable than any of my older veggie grows combined. This topic is a great idea. I'll sub. I might learn a thing or two... or three.
        Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
        White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

good group to follow. I tried hydro with an auto top feed in coco 4x per day on my current grow. I worked really well until my res temp go too high and I did not have sufficient oxygen to combat the slim growth. I dismantled it and went back to hand watering 2x per day which is kind of a pain in the ass. I guess technically you could say I was using hydro now but it;s more like a standard coco setup.

I plan to set up the auto drip system again this fall and get that nice General Hydroponics air pump in there. I think then it should work way better.

on my first grow I treated the coco like soil and hand watered only when the pots went dry. although I got a pretty good yield I feel I could have gotten much more had I watered every day, so I got interested in hydro. So far, 7 weeks into my second grow with autos, I can see the benefits of watering every day, or multiple times a day. I love how the coco retains water and oxygen and hold what the plants can use at all times, and that it;s seems impossible to over water given a good root ball.

I have no idea how any of the other types of hydro systems work or if I've chosen the right one for me so I'll be watching the thread, hopefully check out some great stuff. I'll be full hydro style soon

tanks
          complete beginner
          39" x 39" x 78" tent
          315 Watt CMH
          4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
          Automatic top feed into coco.
          Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Originally posted by Obi-Wan View Post
            DWC is more convenient for me, I started in Coco and the constant fertigation was taxing without an auto feed setup. After weighing my options I decided to go DWC but I don’t believe DWC offers any advantages to the plants that aren’t also available in Coco when setup and executed properly.

Hydroponics in general requires a steep learning curve to effectively give the plants what they need, when they need it. I’ve seen and read a number of journals where growers have been able to “get by” in hydro with less than ideal conditions and dedication, but in the end their results were less than ideal as well. It’s one thing to do it, but doing it well takes knowledge, skill, and dedication.
            Like a true wise Jedi master! Well said @Obi-Wan!

Perpetual harvest
            Sealed Room
            Full hydro
            Ebb and Flow
            Hydroton Media
            600w HPS
            GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

Originally posted by Cronk View Post
              good group to follow. I tried hydro with an auto top feed in coco 4x per day on my current grow. I worked really well until my res temp go too high and I did not have sufficient oxygen to combat the slim growth. I dismantled it and went back to hand watering 2x per day which is kind of a pain in the ass. I guess technically you could say I was using hydro now but it;s more like a standard coco setup.

I plan to set up the auto drip system again this fall and get that nice General Hydroponics air pump in there. I think then it should work way better.

on my first grow I treated the coco like soil and hand watered only when the pots went dry. although I got a pretty good yield I feel I could have gotten much more had I watered every day, so I got interested in hydro. So far, 7 weeks into my second grow with autos, I can see the benefits of watering every day, or multiple times a day. I love how the coco retains water and oxygen and hold what the plants can use at all times, and that it;s seems impossible to over water given a good root ball.

I have no idea how any of the other types of hydro systems work or if I've chosen the right one for me so I'll be watching the thread, hopefully check out some great stuff. I'll be full hydro style soon

tanks
              Thanks for joining! If you’re interested in getting really serious in the coco game, get in contact with Campesino. He’s got all types of journals, guides, and “how to” write ups on growing in coco.
              Perpetual harvest
              Sealed Room
              Full hydro
              Ebb and Flow
              Hydroton Media
              600w HPS
              GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• Cronk
                Cronk commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, Campesino got some good info for sure

• Campesino
                Campesino commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks guys!

Yes, I am happy to help all coco growers!

#Cocolove

Hey great to see this open up! I'm using a current culture undercurrent system or its using me one of the two. First grow and all the troubles! I'm currently trying to save my grow from root rot.
              Team AutoMechanics

Comment

So, reading Dr.Moggs thread got me thinking about electrolysis again for O2.

Obi-Wan and I briefly discussed these earlier, but never really found out what he thought of them in other types of systems. I am still tempted by the idea, but I wouldn't stand to benefit as much as DWC or RDWC could. I don't know... But I thought this would be a good thread to get some thoughts on it

Last edited by Campesino; 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM. Reason: sometimes there are missing words

Comment

• Campesino
                  Campesino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK, then I don't understand. What do you mean by "sludge"?

In 1-3 hours the water becomes super-saturated with O2 with the emitter. It doesn't need to be run constantly to maintain high levels of O2.

• Cronk
                  Cronk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I meant the bacteria slime. didn't know O2 would stay dissolved at high levels for very long @ high 70's low 80's F

• Campesino
                  Campesino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you are running temps in that range you would probably want to cycle it more frequently. They seem to be the type of company that would offer advice about this.

The bacteria really couldn't grow though... It wouldn't have enough time even if O2 levels dropped for a couple hours.

Originally posted by Sonnyhad View Post
                Hey great to see this open up! I'm using a current culture undercurrent system or its using me one of the two. First grow and all the troubles! I'm currently trying to save my grow from root rot.
                Post a spread on your system, your nutrients, and your problems and I’m sure everyone here could lend a hand hate to see another grower struggling!!
                Perpetual harvest
                Sealed Room
                Full hydro
                Ebb and Flow
                Hydroton Media
                600w HPS
                GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• Obi-Wan
                  Obi-Wan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t think you’re over estimating the cost. The initial investment would be comparable, and the energy load of the chiller would be comparable to a small ac unit. Larger chiller equals more upfront cost and a higher energy load.

• Sonnyhad
                  Sonnyhad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm using the whole cultured solutions line, UC Roots and all, trying to do a sterile system. The whole learning curve is a B I T C H ! I changed my timer and when the lights came back on, it popped a gfi breaker that I did not know was there! No bubbles for 14 hours! This was Friday. I would have never put those on a GFI .I don't know if I can recover from this one, so I'm about to start some clones and start again. While trying to revive these and chalk it up to a learning experience!

Originally posted by Obi-Wan View Post
                It’s an expensive solution to be sure, but I imagine they would work like a dream in warmer water temps. It would definitely be overkill for a grower that keeps water temps cooler.
                Agreed! seems a little spendy especially for someone with more than 20 gallons of nutrients.
                Perpetual harvest
                Sealed Room
                Full hydro
                Ebb and Flow
                Hydroton Media
                600w HPS
                GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• Campesino
                  Campesino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Am I really over-estimating the cost of buying and running a chiller?
                  I ask sincerely... I don't really know... How much do they cost to run?

Say, for hypothetical grower with 20 gallon Res dealing with Res temps at say 75F
                  The electrolysis would be $300, but then basically free to run (tiny draw)
                  What would chilling costs be? buying the chiller and then cost per month to run?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X