Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COB LED light suggestions?

Hi,

Planning ahead for the next grow and thinking of upgrading to LED COBs.
    Which manufacturers are good?
    Google didn't seem to give a definitive answer.
    First journal: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...th-drip-system

I know nothing of leds or cobs.

Comment

Hey there Bartholomew ! I currently have 4 55w auto cobs. They are LED and they work great! I have one over each plant and my electric bill increased about $20-30 for my entire setup compared to not growing at all.

If you go to the auto flower network, talk to bigsmo. He will tell you how to place an order for them, and he is great with shipping time. I always got mine in 3 days.

You get a discount if you buy 4 at once I believe, but I just bought one every time I got paid until I had enough. When I bought them they were $134 a light. A little expensive to get set up initially, but way cheaper in the long run.

With my 4 plant setup in my 3*3*6 tent, I average 8 oz per harvest, using autos. I keep my lights on 24/7.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Have a great day!
      Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Doubledealing72
        Doubledealing72 commented
        Editing a comment
        I should also say I'm only on my 4th grow, so I plan to get better yields as time goes on :-)

Hey Bartholomew, if I was gonna buy some cobs, I would get the same kind Mcubed476 uses. He grows some fine plants with his.
      I'm pretty sure he uses the kind of cobs, that BigSmo, sells on the Autoflower .Net, site.
      Check those out.
      And good luck, you want see anything bad written about those lights.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Hey, cool! Thanks!

I was eyeing the MaxBloom Cree 800W Cob 500 dollars a piece. A few reviews online rate it high.

It's pretty hard to find a general consensus on which lights are the best.

Are the auto Cobs better or worse than MaxBloom?

Comment

The Auto Cobs look interesting. What about UV and IR?

Comment

D.A.A.S.69 Thanks for the suggestion. Tbh I'm looking for the biggest baddest of them all because I have a small dick.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Bartholomew, damn man, we might be kin folks, Same problem here. Lol
              Just kidn,

If it's not in this article, you could message bigsmo. He's pretty good at getting back to people quickly
            Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Doubledealing72
              Doubledealing72 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure about how it compares to the one you posted. I haven't heard of that one. The autocobs are white light, so it's a very natural color. Way easier to see the true look of the plants than the blurple lights.

I wouldnt choose COBs unless for one reason, price. Other than that they offer no real advantage and most respectable manufacturers stick with traditional diodes. Read my article on comparing grow lights and grow light technologies.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

• Inuart88
              Inuart88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think i have seen a read my article post every post i look at lol ! keep writing them =D

• DrPhoton
              DrPhoton commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha yea, only way to advertise

• Inuart88
              Inuart88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew it that will .003 cents for that ad mr.!

DrPhoton but why are they so valued and hailed as THE alternative to HID then? I was thinking about viparspectra 1200W equivalents. Sick of the heat management with HID. But after stumbling on COBs, I’m really interested.
            The plan is to run multiple tent RDWC for the next run. Huge 9 x 42L RDWC modules which fit in a 3m x 2m tents.
            Plus I knowingly go for the more expensive premium type of products because i like to be the coolest dude on the block.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!

Just to clarify! It was a joke. My dick is as huge as my colas.
            Pics coming soon. Rofl.

Comment

• DrPhoton
              DrPhoton commented
              Editing a comment
              Manufactureres claim all sorts of things that are not true, but the evidence is clear when you look at the data. If you look at all the best commercial fixtures on the market right now, they are all SMD diodes. Not COB.

You want the best of the best then get one of these. But you are talking about prices in the thousands.

Fluence
              Spectrum King
              Kind LED
              Black Dog
              Chil LED
              Nextlight
              California Lights

Electrical efficiency is what determines heat loss from a fixture, most cheap fixtures put out less heat simply because they are less powerful and throw their heat to the side or upwards. Not because they are more efficient, because most are actually still less efficient than gas discharge.

In my article on comparing light sources i state a rule where you should not choose light fixtures based on their diode models or power values. Theres more information there as well regarding why COB is inferior.

Bartholomew I sent you a message came through a visitor message please read before you buy a light!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartholomew View Post
              Quick question-are you in the US?
              Reason I'm asking is the easy access to all types of light strips, boards or cob's. Please do a little research before you lay down your cash on ANY of the garbage fixtures you've listed so far.
              It makes NO sense to use a fixture like that one because it isn't any more efficient than a typical HID rig-they both create the same amount of heat for the same amount of photons.
              A collection of DIY projects and articles for the aspiring LED gardener, from selecting COBs and matching drivers to building space buckets and grow tents.
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Not in US. EU.

I wouldn't say Viparspectra is garbage. I mean, the grow journals speak for themselves. Plus they are really cheap.
                LED creating same heat as a HID??? I call bs.

Comment

Thanks for the link though, but I won't DIY a led light.

Look guys, thanks for the ads, sales pitches and suggestions but I'm just trying to find THE led that would replace my 1000W HPS. I don't know how realistic it is, but I'm looking for something that would give me equal yields or better. Hence the plan to upgrade. Or at least something that comes close. IR and UV are a must I assume.
                  It shouldn't be more expensive than my life.

Aghh, whatever. Giving up.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X