light burn or fertilizer burn or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light burn or fertilizer burn or ?

These plants are all about 6 weeks old , GF put a little fertilizer ( Dyna Grow ) on them about 10 days ago , is this fertilizer burn due to young plants not needing anything ? Blackgold potting soil , topped about two weeks ago , t5 light . Thoughts ?

I'd rule out light burn, because it's on the bottom leaves and the top ones look good. Doesn't really look like nute burn to me, more like deficiency? but not certain, I'll let someone with more grow experience than me answer that one.
    Be careful not to vedge that Blue dream for to long, Humbolts version is supposed to double in size during the stretch, and can get to 3 meters outdoors! The freebie Blue Dream I am growing is making me believe it, kinda a little scared of her. Recovered from early problems, and looks like a solid strain!!
    Organic Soil,
    with molasses,
    In a Greenhouse with,
    Redneck engineering.

Comment

Forgot ... have 12 plants total all started at the same time , one is all green , the rest have some brown leaves or light discoloration . , not thinking light burn either as it would be more on the top leaves .

Comment

That soil has slow release nutrients I believe. There should be enough nutrients for awhile. Its odd because it looks like your plants are nutrient deficient. Since there is enough nutrients at this stage for young plants Im going to guess your overwatering them. It will also cause leaves to yellow and look deficient. Also at 6 weeks old you need alot more light than T5's.

Comment

The over-watering could be possible, we've since re- potted to five gallon pots and have them under Viperspectra led's .

Comment

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            What viparspectra and how far away? The new growth looks much better. It may have been overwatering early on and youll be fine now that your in a 5 gallon pot. I dont know that soil specifically but I know it has nutrients. Hopefully its not like miracle grow. You shouldnt need to feed your plants for the veg period at least I believe. But Like I said. I dont lknow that soil.
            Last edited by Dutchman1; 04-03-2018, 09:27 PM.

Reflector series , a 450 and a 900 watt , about 28 inches away . These plants were just moved to this tent from the tent with the t5's ( 4 bulb )

Comment

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            You have both those lights in that tent right now? How many plants, how big a tent? 28 inches is a good distance for those plants at that stage, you could even go to 22-24 inches away but no rush. Bring em down gradually to the minimum the manufacturer recommends. I thinks its like 20 inches for flower on the 900 watt. Oh and if they were just moved there from a tent with t5's then ya, you want to be higher so they can adjust to the LEDs. Then bring em down gradually.
            Last edited by Dutchman1; 04-03-2018, 09:47 PM.

Correct , both lights with 12 plants , 4 x 8 ft tent , using 6 ft for these plants and the end 2 ft. for flowering a couple plants that I have 900 watt Viperspectra on them . When there done I'll use the whole tent and all 3 lights .

Comment

That looks like mobile nutrients leaving older leaves, a classic deficiency symptom, and the easy money is on nitrogen. (Also, plants that are getting plenty of N have deep green leaves and yours don't.)

Don't be too quick to buy into grower folklore, like "young plants don't need anything." If they're growing, they're eating. Tell the GF to give them more Dyna Gro, and look into a premium cannabis-grade fertilizer for better results. General Hydroponics FloraSeries is one that Nebula recommends and that has worked well for me.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/nitrogen...iency-cannabis
            Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 04-03-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman1
              Dutchman1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Im not so sure about adding nutes. Even though I agree thats what it might look like. He said hes in black gold potting soil. That has slow release fertilizer like miracle grow. I think its good for a few months. So he shouldnt need any nutes at this stage Doc.

• Dutchman1
              Dutchman1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Just looked up that soil, says it feeds for 6 months. Hes less than two months in and he just repotted. Unless they havent had a chance to get any goodies from the new soil yet. Like he just transplanted yesterday or something.

Black Gold
              Black Gold 1310102 16-Quart All Purpose Potting Soil With Control
              4.3 out of 5 stars 12 customer reviews | 3 answered questions
              Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers (see all offers).
              Available from these sellers.
              Great for both indoor and outdoor container plants
              Superior moisture retention and drainage
              Slow release fertilizer feeds plants up to 6 months
              Contains silicon enriching Resilience for stronger stems and roots
              16 quart bag
              Now with MultiCote controlled release fertilizer
              A multi purpose, nutrient rich mix that's ideal for all plants
              For house plants
              Hanging baskets
              Patio containers
              Pot Plants

I added the pot plants......couldnt resist.....lol

> Im not so sure about adding nutes. Even though I agree thats what it might look like. He said hes in black gold potting soil. That has slow release fertilizer like miracle grow. I think its good for a few months. So he shouldnt need any nutes at this stage Doc.

Good point and thanks for pointing that out, but clearly that plant is not getting enough nitrogen from just the slow release. Maybe hit it with a dose of high-N fertilizer like Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1 and stinky) to get it back on track?

Comment

• Dutchman1
              Dutchman1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe, I wonder if it might be something else but your right, its not getting nitrogen.

Whats the ph of water coming out of pots? Have you been using cal/mag?

Comment

isn't slow release not supposed to be used with weed plants it doesn't give the plants what they need when they need it . when you repotted did you use the black gold again
              new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
              current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
                GreenhouseEffect commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my understanding to OJH.
                Think either Cannabis specific Super Soil, or a good organic potting soil without any slow release nutes added are what Nebula recomends for soil. The Super soil you wouldn't add any Nutes till maybe the very end, the organic potting soil you would add nutes based on how your plant is responding.
                My understanding at least.

• GreenhouseEffect
                GreenhouseEffect commented
                Editing a comment
                I think your life might be easier for the rest of the grow, if you could transplant into something without any slow release nutes, it may be a Pita for you, trying to fix the (most likely incorrect) nutrients in the Black Gold, without getting something to high. Definitely check the PH like people have said, that could be a certainly cause a deficiency.
                Best of luck to you!

• Campesino
                Campesino commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with comments here. Time release soil can be literally deadly to cannabis plants. When they continue getting such high doses of N at the end of the flowering stretch it can be toxic, even if it doesn't seem to be a problem at all up to that point.
                It remains an open question however, why his plants are clearly suffering a lack of N at this point... I agree with that too.

My first nutrients were DynaGro (I still use it for mother plants and cacti), and they work well when- you dose it once a week.
              Test #6 and feeding schedule: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/...er-seen.73074/
              It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

If your plants look like they may not be getting enough nitrogen try adding silica which will help your roots absorb the nitrogen. This won't change your ppm . Also try adding enzymes and microbes . Helps with root health and breaking down of organic matter.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply , been on the run since 3 this morning ... yes i check the ph on all the water , bring down to about 6.2 - 6.5 range . We finished re-potting last night and used Black Gold again . So the general consensus is to add some nitrogen ?

Comment

• Dutchman1
                    Dutchman1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If your going to repot Id use Fox Farm Ocean forest soil or kind soil. Not Black Gold. That soil is not good for cannabis.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X