Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello everybody! Following Nebula's Flowering Stage Defoliation Tutorial!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everybody! Following Nebula's Flowering Stage Defoliation Tutorial!

Hello and thanks for reading!

Have just joined this site and this is my first post so gona be a longish one!! (Sorry!)
    What ive got

80 cm (32") x 80 cm (32") x 160 cm (64") tent
    r900 Viparspector led
    6" extraction
    4" inlet
    2 X fan controllers 1 set to 25 degrees (day time) 1 set to 18 degrees (night time)
    6" tent fan
    6" rhino pro filter (set up outside of tent)
    2 X plants Were both brought from different shops and were both supposed to be Incredible Bulk by Dr Krippling (Now theyre grown thats obviously not the case!)
    Both topped once
    Each in their own 20 litre root nurse fabric pot with 20 litres of Gold Label Special Mix soil
    Feeding with old timer nutes (veg bloom bloom boost and magne-cal+)
    Feeding schedule feed water feed water
    Growing using the scrog method Net size 27" X 12"
    Started flowering stage 09/03

And now following "Nebula's Flowering Stage Defoliation Tutorial"!

So as per the tutorial I cut off just about every leaf under the net and almost all leafs above just before I flipped to flowering (09/03)
    I did not remove any bud sites (see pics)

It is now 3 days before the second defoliation is due as per tutorial (3 weeks after first defoliation) and this is what my pants look like today (see pics!)

As you can see ive had a lot of growth on both plants in the last 2 and a half weeks
    Plus the plant on the right is a lot more leafy than the one on the left! (as said am now thinking that they are 2 different types of plants as they no longer look the same!)

So now to my question (finally!)

In the tutorial it says

"After that, I'm done with the majority of defoliation! From week 3 and on, I only remove leaves if they're covering a bud site (and I can't tuck the leaf away) or if the plant starts getting too bushy through the middle and bottom. Each leaf provides energy to the plant, and I cherish them... unless they get in the way!

As you can see the plant on the right is very leafy and those leafs are covering the buds below
    So im guessing that judging by the growth ive had in the last 2 and a half weeks the plant on the right will need to be continuously defoliated to some extent to keep the bud sites open

Is it advisable to do this continuously ( every few days as needed) or would it be better to do this say once every week / 2 weeks / 3 weeks?!?

Im thinking that it would be best to do this continuously / as needed as this will keep the bud sites below the top level open at all times but thought it would be best to ask what others have done and found to work

The plant on the left is not as leafy so imagine this could be defoliated once every week or so?!?

Once again thank you for reading and for any answers / advice given!

Hey.
    I'd say you got it right. It's up to you to decide "eh, you're making too much shadow on the lower buds" and remove the leaf(s). As long as some remains to collect the light.
    Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

Hi Minoo96 !

Thank you for your reply

So take leafs as and when needed is what you're saying
      Jus as I first thought!
      Thank you!

Comment

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm only at my second grow, and I grow outside! So take what I say with a grain of salt But as long as you understand there's no real rule to abide by, that you should adapt because your situation might have slights differences, then it's all fine
        I started defoliating on mine last grow, I ended up doing it twice only during the flowering. It takes some time for the plant to regrow those huge fan leaves, if ever it tries to regrow it at all.

Hi Minoo96 !

Dont worry!?!
      If it all goes wrong I won't b blaming you!

This is actually my first grow but from all the advice I've seen and been given i realise that there is no 1 right way to do this!
      And as you can see from the pics the plant on the right is turning into a bit of a monster so I'm sure I'll be needed to get rid of quiet a few leaves between now n finish

Comment

Here's a idea of something similar in space and situation that you can see the amount of leaves left on before harvest. Main difference is this is one plant rather than two. But what the pics dont show is its base which is bare up to the point light didn't penetrate the canopy.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Tdh101jr
          Tdh101jr commented
          Editing a comment
          If its bare to the scrog its called lollipopping which youd be removing all growth underneath the trellis to focus all the plants energy on the canopy. But id do as you are tuck what you can and only cut whats blocking light which has been my approach on my current grow. My 1st grow i defoliated to much and suffered bc of it so dont go to crazy if decide to be clip away some foliage.

Hi GrowMeTrichomes !

Thank you for your reply

And thanks for the pics They really do help!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks really good so far, man, and welcome to the forum!!

HI Tdh101jr !

Thanks for your comment!
        Yeah gona follow the tutorial and do 1 more mass defoliation at week 3 n from then on jus tuck as much as pos n only remove what cant b tucked

Comment

HI alltatup !

Thanks for the comment n the welcome!

Comment

well i think its all over?!?
            Its gone from bad to worse!
            wat started as yellow leaves 4 days ago has now turned into dead droopy yellow leaves
            no idea why
            temps are good
            humidity is good
            light isnt too hot / close
            held hand on top of plant under light for nearly a minute n hand didnt even get warm
            not over or under watered them
            i wait until soil is pretty dry n then water the next day as usual
            been following the feed water feed water schedule
            last water which was 2 days ago gave 5 litres water n 2 ml of calmag each

all i can think is gave them a good pruning 3 weeks after switch to flower as per defoliation tutorial when leaves were yellow n should of waited for leaves to go green again?!?

so what does everyone think?!?

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, that's really strange!! I hope Nebula chimes in. Really sorry, man!!!

• Minoo96
              Minoo96 commented
              Editing a comment
              And what about the pH? both before you add the water and the runoff pH? Could be a difference there that explains that?

NebulaHaze
            hey this is highly intriguing. Can you help us figure out why these plants in bloom died so suddenly?

man10101
            im sorry to see your loss. Thank you for sharing the pics and experience, perhaps we will get this figured out.
            Sad day, much growers love anyways...
            Last edited by KingKush; 04-03-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• PRIMO
              PRIMO commented
              Editing a comment
              You don't mention R.h. Now I'm just spitballing here but could bud rot set in that quickly and that wide spread? I've never had to deal with it so I don't know. Just a thought.

From what I was reading about the soil you could have gone wrong giving it any nutrients if your using the special mix. If it is special mix light then you can add nutes. Special mix is loaded with stuff to go almost a full cycle.. It also requires you to use substrates and certain nutes from their line. Also you need to add enzymes to the soil and overdoses with their nutes can be bad. Totally screws up your npk. My guess is the npk went out of wack and not knowing about the soils needs or dos and don'ts of nutes substrates and enzymes. Still they recommend using their products probably something to do with what you're experiencing.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

After reading the description of Gold Label Special Mix soil from their web site it sounds like the answer to your problem may be on their website . Their soil in sorta unique. But really it's hard to tell for sure. I use fox farm ocean forest and have had really good results. Hope you figure it out so you don't repeat the problem and have your next round of girls vegging .

Comment

When you switched to flower, did you change the nutrients? perhaps they need something you took away? Or don't like something you added. In the first pics. there seems to be the beginning of a deficiency. I don't know about the soil causing a problem,they seem to have been doing pretty well in it for quite awhile.
                Last edited by PRIMO; 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone who took the time to post!

So to answer you one by one...

alltatup Thank you for your comment! Much appreciated

Minoo96 As this is / was my first ever grow ive tried to keep it as simple as pos so ive not been measuring ph so you may be right?!? Looks like that will be something ill have to learn / do on the next grow!

KingKush Also thank you for your comment Much appreciated!

PRIMO My humidity was good going by my meters so i dont think that was the problem And when i switched to flower i did change their food Was feeding with old timer organic First veg feed n then went on to bloom feed

Chefbjy and GrowMeTrichomes The special mix soil does have nutes in it but only enough to see you through the first 2 - 3 weeks From their website "Special Mix contains nutrients for the first 2-3 weeks of your crop cycle." I didnt feed them anything but water for the first 3 - 4 weeks jus to be on the safe side and they had been in the soil since feb 2nd

Anyway thank you all again for your comments

Whatever may hav been the cause doesnt really matter now...

Unfortunately jus to really make sure my plants were dead it seams that when i was in the tent yesterday i must of knocked the plug in thermometer that controls the heater and switched it to "on" instead of it being controlled by the thermometer so when i went in the tent today i found that the heat had gone up to around 38 degrees and the plants are now pretty much dried out! Looks like this grow jus wasnt meant to be!?!

Altho one thing i must add is that altho the plants both now look dead and dried up the buds are still sticky and after touching them my fingers smell beautiful! Dont suppose its worth leaving them and seeing if they recover or maybe even smoking whats there?!?

Looks like i jus hav to chalk this one up to experience and now get myself ready for the next grow...

And here for the record is my final ever pic from my first ever grow...
                  Last edited by man10101; 04-04-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Minoo96
                    Minoo96 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look almost ready! You can smoke them i'm pretty sure!

You had this nailed Man, Just a little hiccup, we've all left the tent open or thought we were as smart as a timer,or shit I didn't think the fan would tip over and turn into a weed wacker. What i'm saying is we all screw up. Now cut those buds off trim em, hang em for a couple of days, and then jar em up. I think in a few weeks you'll be surprised. Order a ph meter, soak a couple of beans and use what you've learned in the last couple of months, and keep reading.
                  Last edited by PRIMO; 04-04-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
                    GreenhouseEffect commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Couldn't have said it better.

I think you can salvage that bud and at least get something, might be pretty decent to, a longer cure for whatever you don't sample right off the bat, may help, being it was "harvested" so early.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X