Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about an outdoor grow in a Canadian Climate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about an outdoor grow in a Canadian Climate.

I would like to grow my plants outdoors. I am live in the border of Western New Brunswick, Canada. I am in The U.S, but I use Canada as a reference for the climate. My question is this: is this my best choice for an outdoor grow? I am in a toss up between these two: Mendocino Skunk or

Dwarf Ryder Auto ?

Any auto could be a good choice, since their rapid maturation works well in (and from what I've read, evolved in) northern climes.

When I grew my Dwarf Low Flyer (close relative of Dwarf Ryder) outdoors last summer near the Canadian border, I timed it so it got maximum sun, which here on the coast means not just day length but cloudless days. But basically six weeks before solstice to six weeks after for a 12 week grow. You are farther inland, so it's colder in early May, so you might want to plant a little later to get a little more heat early in the grow. Maybe May 15th to 20th?

What's really important, I have learned, is to get the plant where it gets as many hours of light around solar noon as possible. Mine got mostly morning sun, and it was pretty but not very potent (not a lot of trichomes). (The same strain grown under bright lights indoors was very sticky.)

Unless you need to grow a dwarf to stay under the neighborhood radar, I think a bigger plant would be a better choice.

My .02. Have fun.

Comment

• Flowerpower71
      Flowerpower71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fortunately, in Maine, one can get a caregiver card and you can grow marijuana for medical. I can grow it outdoors it just needs to be enclosed, not visible from the road, or with binoculars.

I grew some purple haze years back in NB, it was just the standard feminized seeds, didnt know about autos at the time. I started aprox a month ahead of last frost, tossed it outside and it grew amazingly. Gorilla grow style. Just depends on the last frost and first frost... autos will work for sure, but you should be good with a photoperiod with shorter flowering time!

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

• Flowerpower71
      Flowerpower71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Purple haze looks interesting. Can you suggest a good seed bank?

A guy on another forum lives in Alberta--I don't know how far north--but he posted a tragic photo of his big Christmas-tree-size plant under a blanket of snow about a month before it was done. I would think you would definitely want to get a photoperiod plant in right after the last frost, and maybe even start it indoors...

Comment

• Flowerpower71
      Flowerpower71 commented
      Editing a comment
      How, absolutely, awful! Can you do anything with it after that?

Yes, Definitly start the photo indoors, many of the people I know who grow outdoors start at least a month ahead to ensure its done before winter hits! ( We dont have a fall lol)

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

• Flowerpower71
      Flowerpower71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Certainly will. I need to get some healthy strong plants before putting them out there. The elements can be challenging around here.

Thank-you, for helping. I I guess I will do one of those grow journals with pictures.

Comment

Hello, folks. Checking back in. I am in contact with Kalashnikov seeds. They are prompt in responding to my inquiries about their strains growing where I am. I informed them I am a first time grower, I live in a Canadian climate, and my interest was in their strains Black Bubushka and Amenesia Molotov. They said, if I do a grow journal, with their seeds, I can get some freebies next year.

I imagine if something grows in Russia it, almost certainly, will grow here. I like the responses I am getting from Seeds Supreme, because I had some issues with payment and how to change my order, they got back to me and were polite.

Comment

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cannabis Ruderalis was developed by a Russian botanist in Siberia. A true Ruderalis grows about a foot tall and will produce about an ounce of bud. Flowers in about three weeks and takes a couple of months to grow.
        Cross a Ruderalis with an indica/sativa plant and you have an autoflower.

Autos are the way to go. This will be my 3rd grow outdoors . Last year a friend grow starryder.... amazing. Do not transplant !!! Sets them back big time. Plant in the final pot ( 3 gal or larger) when the nights stay above 50 degrees in as much sun possible. Use a soil 1/2 hummus, 1/4 perilite, 1/4 worm castings. There will be plenty of nutes for the life of the auto. Just keep it nice and moist. You should get a oz. or better

Comment

• Flowerpower71
        Flowerpower71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Extremely important information. i appreciate it, and reading on how to make a red wiggler bin out of a styrofoam cooler...

Soil that's half mashed chick peas? That's a new one.

Comment

OOOOPS Im a chef not a farmer I meant compost That was good

Comment

Autos are good for northern climate but seedsman has a fast photos that are designed to finish in mid September ,I am trying these this year . I live in Mass. and its not so much the frost that a problem its the warm days and cold nights this promotes bud rot so I'm going for something thats going to be done before that
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Flowerpower71
          Flowerpower71 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am no expert, but if your weather is anything like Rhode Island or CT, mold and fungal resistance is a must. It is so darn humid in southern New England.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          I know right it absolutely destroyed our harvest last year and most of the bud rot was during Oct. so if the girls are already curing in Sept. then that solves the problem

I bought my seeds from Herbies Head Shop. I had a lot of dialogue Kalashnikov seeds. I bought Kalashnikov Kalashnikov Original , 3 seeds. The reason for that is the description said the plant is not bothered by hot, cold, humid, or dry conditions. I thank-you, for responding to my thread. I am so, so, looking forward to spring and being outside.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          FP how about that I just got some Kalashnikov seeds in yesterday when I read the description I had to try them, are you going to be able to grow in your yard we grow in woods, Im thinking about building the enclosure to grow in the yard

Right on Oldjarhead100! Some of their breeds appear to be suited for hot and cold, other seeds are more suited for warmer areas. I thought if I tried to see what parallel I share with Russian cities it would help. Not the case! Are you going to start a grow journal? I can barely wait for Spring!

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          yes I will do a journal on them if I grow them inside they sound really cool

• Flowerpower71
          Flowerpower71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you going to plant according to the moon? I guess there is a science to it, and you can get killer weed by finagling things. So much to learn!

I cannot stress enough how phenomenal the customer service at Herbies is. They have been so helpful.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X