First grow, 4x4 tent can’t decide which LEDs to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow, 4x4 tent can’t decide which LEDs to get

As already mentioned I can’t decide what LEDs to go for. Looking at kind led, advanced platinum led or optics led.. also thinking if I should go with 1 big one or 2 smaller ones

Any help would be high appreciated

Hey buddy,i was recently bombed with gum-flapping about using 2 lower sources to achieve the wanted wattage from my bro in law.He has never done indoor nor decent outdoors otger than a couple autos every may on the balcony but he was really trying to get me split my 600w hps into 2x 300 mars hydro or 2x 250 hps.Me myself and I, are not really into that since i velieve lower watts = lower lumens per source = doesn't seem right. Im not sure if its the same if you have XXX lumens or X times 3 lumens..

Did you check Viparspectra 1200w? It's legendary fir it's price! I would go for a 900w(not hps equivalent,real wattage) in the 4x4 though i have read 1200w with good venting and cooling.
    Last edited by Nartak; 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM.
    Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
    600W

LED
    2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
    BioBizzLight Mix
    Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
    Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
    Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
    CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
    Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

I use the Platinum LED p4-xml2 for a 3x3 tent and love it. I have two of them. I'd check out the big brother made for a 4x4, the p9-xml2.

Comment

Watts and lumens are just about useless when looking at LEDs. The numbers that matter are ppfd and foot print.
        Im not a fan of kind LEDs at all. They say that ppfd numbers can be messed with by manufacturers, but offer 0 hint at thier ppfd numbers or any measure of how good their lights perform anywhere I've seen, beside "trust us". Saying something isn't a good measure, but giving nothing but thier word doesn't go far with me personally. Sure they work, but without a metric to judge output, I'm not dropping $1000 on some marketing teams word.
        I use a bloomspect 600 and a viparspectra 600 in a 3x3 tent and I'm leaning towards the bloomspect being the better light. It's also much cheaper than the viparspectra.

Comment

• Waltermelon
          Waltermelon commented
          Editing a comment
          Check out the bloomspect, you won't be sorry. It's a great light.
          For venting both my 3'x3' flower tents I'm using a c.a.p. 435 cfm fan through 4" ducting into a 4"x4"-6" T connection Into 3' carbon filter. My temps are always under 76°f . I do run a small AC in the room constantly though.
          If you're having issues with heat, is there any hope of you running a small window rattler, or portable R2D2 AC in your room? I just use an 8000k btu unit and it says beautiful in the tents.

• Nartak
          Nartak commented
          Editing a comment
          Aah,im trying to keeo power cost at minimum,an AC would not assist in any way with that 😂️ I think i will have to wait and see until next year,atm my 250w is working well with me and i believe i will make it just around time for harvest in May before they hit 78-80

• Waltermelon
          Waltermelon commented
          Editing a comment
          It definitely does not help with the power usage, my AC averages 600w an hour. It doesn't break the bank, but does add to the rooms draw. But the added benefit of being able to run higher wattage lights, in my mind negates the extra money spent cooling. Pulling 1lb a month from a 3x3 tent I don't think can be done without adding an ac unless you live in Siberia.

Haha im running 600w for my lamps!Maybe in the future...
        Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
        600W

LED
        2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
        BioBizzLight Mix
        Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
        Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
        Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
        CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
        Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

Originally posted by iGrow420710 View Post
          As already mentioned I can’t decide what LEDs to go for. Looking at kind led, advanced platinum led or optics led.. also thinking if I should go with 1 big one or 2 smaller ones

Any help would be high appreciated
          As a relative newcomer compared to alot of others, here's my experience on using/buying led fixtures.
          It helps to work backwards-with the footprint of your tent space you will need at least 600 actual watts of power consumption to effectively illuminate that space. The advantage of using the best technology you can afford is that less of that 600W is converted to heat and more into usable photons that the plant can use to grow. Currently, the most economical is Samsung LM561c. It is available on light strips and Quantum Boards so a DIY fixture will be the best bang for the buck. If you are not comfortable building your own rig, at least do a little research on the different technologies-it will help to prevent throwing away an investment on equipment that isn't suited to what you want to achieve.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post

As a relative newcomer compared to alot of others, here's my experience on using/buying led fixtures.
            It helps to work backwards-with the footprint of your tent space you will need at least 600 actual watts of power consumption to effectively illuminate that space. The advantage of using the best technology you can afford is that less of that 600W is converted to heat and more into usable photons that the plant can use to grow. Currently, the most economical is Samsung LM561c. It is available on light strips and Quantum Boards so a DIY fixture will be the best bang for the buck. If you are not comfortable building your own rig, at least do a little research on the different technologies-it will help to prevent throwing away an investment on equipment that isn't suited to what you want to achieve.
            What do you think about starting with a HLG 550

Comment

Originally posted by iGrow420710 View Post

What do you think about starting with a HLG 550
              Excellent choice. Here's another- https://growerslights.com/products/h...-board-led-kit
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I like quality over high numbers. I use two platinum P150s and a 300 watt cheapo hydro with a lot of red for flower. Im doing a 3x4 area right now with 5 plants and there all smoking. The platinum 150's only draw 80 watts apiece so again I think you cant always go by that whole wattage thing when there quality lights.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
                  Whats the difference between 550 and 600h please

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman1 View Post
                    I like quality over high numbers. I use two platinum P150s and a 300 watt cheapo hydro with a lot of red for flower. Im doing a 3x4 area right now with 5 plants and there all smoking. The platinum 150's only draw 80 watts apiece so again I think you cant always go by that whole wattage thing when there quality lights.
                    Looks awesome!!

Comment

If I was doing this all over I think id buy. Or maybe next Christmas, hmmm.........

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-System-Em...70_&dpSrc=srch

Comment

Anyone heard of Enlite Sundisk?

Comment

PPFD is not the best metric for quantifying light sources, especially with smaller sample rates. PPF or band limited radiometry quantities such as radiant flux are best. Some manufacturers are now starting to supply these values. If values are not available it becomes difficult to quantify a lights capability. PPFD can vary quite a bit depending on the parameters used by the manufactures during testing. Although PPFD maps provide valuable information such as uniformity and light intensity. It cannot tell you accurately the full capacity of a light source and unless interpreted correctly, it can be misleading.
                          Written Articles:
                          Light Metric Systems
                          Using Light Efficiently
                          The Light Cycle Debate
                          Environment Conditions
                          Grow Light Technologies
                          How To Compare Grow Lights
                          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
                          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
                          Facebook
                          Twitter
                          Instagram

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X