When to begin LST on an auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to begin LST on an auto?

Ok the little one is a critical auto flower started in that little NK seeds starter pot with FFHF soil mixed 50/50 with extra perlite. No soak, just moist soil, popped seed in and placed on a heating pad under a cut in 1\2 mt dew 2 liter bottle for a humidity dome. Planted Feb 14th, sprouted Feb 20th. Yes, that little plant is now 12 days old... I put it in a larger solo cup type pot with FFHF, COCO and perlite mixed at 1\3 each and tore the starter pot away before it got root bound. I would like to know when I should start with the LST on this one... And am I correct when my understanding is to just gently bend it over like at a 45 degree angle or maybe a little more?

How about some high-stress training? When it gets to node 5, pinch off the top and watch the little growth sites turn into colas. Then just LST to keep the branches pulled out for even light and air circulation.

Comment

Too short to bend yet, you'll just stunt the growth.
      After it grows five nodes, top it down to the third node and after it recovers for a few days and begins to spread its new growth - then you LST.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I would start gently bending leaves to open up the plant .I would let it get a little bigger then start tying down every gently .A little at a time make sure not to bend stem near bottom where it comes out of the dirt it will cut off main stem no good I usually th a small stick down low so that don't happen good luck

Comment

• Pyro1711
          Pyro1711 commented
          Editing a comment
          By doing this lst..and bending it, what exactly happens to the plant? Do the leaves become new branches so to speak??? Wish I would have gone to school for horticulture instead of becoming a grease monkey.

> By doing this lst..and bending it, what exactly happens to the plant? Do the leaves become new branches so to speak???
        There is absolutely nothing mysterious about low-stress training. You're just bending the plant to be shaped the way you like. By doing so existing growth sites may be exposed and so grow more, but all you're doing is bending one part of the plant to expose other parts or favor that part.

The best way to learn about LST is by actually doing it. Get some pipe cleaners or whatever and try moving a leave out of the way or a stem where you think it would be better. Very quickly you will get a feel for it.

(Same goes for "defoliation"--leaf removal. The first time you pluck off a leaf, it feels like a capital offense, but after you see that it doesn't hurt anything and actually helps the parts that were in the shade or were choked by too much bushiness, you start plucking with the reckless disregard of a serial killer. )
        Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 03-03-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X