Best way to adjust soil PH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to adjust soil PH?

Had high soil ph right out of the bag on last grow (FFOF) and tried to lower it gradually during grow without success. Got half a bag left and want to get ph right before I start next grow. I'm using fabric pots so do I mix soil and perlite, place in pot and flush the shit out of it with 6.0 PH'ed water until it is in right zone? Does that also flush out nutrients already in soil so that I need to start adding nutrients sooner?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

I always prewatered my s pots with same soil your using,keep flushing till it comes out good.
    Or ucould dunk and soak the pots in a bigger container ph’ed of course,and drain. Add your perlite
    1 lab. Per bag or a 1/2 per 1/2 bag. I don’t think it should be a problem with nutes i water normally without and with nutes.lol

Comment

Soil ph is not as important at first with super soil or good soil with nutrients like FFOF. The soil is designed and made to have everything you need to start and grow your plants for 1 1/2- 2 months. You just water just to the point where you get the tiniest bit of runoff. Water only as needed and don't overwater and you'll be fine. If you flush the soil before you start a grow you'll lose all the nutrients and the soil will be useless. I add a little coco and perlite in my mix with FFOF but it's not necessary.

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Despite what Fox Farm says, the last bag I bought had a ph in the High 7's to low 8's. Caused all kinds of problems with last grow.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey PuravidaC, you are right, you better check the ph of you soil first or you are asking for extremely slow growth, an trouble later, if it's not in the right ph, 6.0-7.0. Or a couple of points below 6.0.
        My ffof, both big sacks, were 5.0ph an lower, a seedling ain't gonna grow right in that.
        We always add stuff like lime,dolomite that's pulverized, buckets full of burned ashes out of your fireplace, or camp fire, a week or two early, before in the soil before we plant now.
        Regardless, you know plants don't grow right in soil that the ph is out of whack, they might grow a little, only nutrients they are getting though, is from the plant, it sure ain't the soil.
        I think I told you ,what we use for that, and it not only keeps your ph right, but feeds too.

I put one pound of super soil per gallon then top off with amended Coco. I water one time until there is runoff and weigh the pot. I water by weight from then on.
      Completed #1: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...dwc-apocalypse

My forever grow.

2x400w MH/HPS (veg 6/2 /flower 12/12)

100w t-5 (nursery)

6"can fan and filter 480cfm max set to 240cfm exhausted outside.

Blue Planet Nutrients Farmer's Pride Organic
      5gal. Eco Oganics pots.

Coco soil and pearl

Light cycle: 6/2 veg. 12/12 flower

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-well-sort-of

Friendly advice:
      If you want to grow top shelf weed, arm yourself with knowledge:
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

• Dutchman1
        Dutchman1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice...

Why don't you contact the people at Fox Farms? That's expensive, name-brand dirt you've got there, and I'm sure they'd have suggestions.

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad idea, DJ. They say it is neutral but my last bag was high 7's to low 8's!

• POKEDSMOT
        POKEDSMOT commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you purchase the soil from? Many outdoor nurseries will water the pallets and depending on the tap water could increase the pH.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        They gonna tell you it's not their fault, an they might be right, it all depends on who you bought it from, and how old it is, and like Pokedsmot said, I know what I bought ,had to have been old, cause it was 5.0ph and lower.

Add some sphagnum peat moss to your mix as it generally has a low Ph of around 4.

Comment

hmmm that could be why my autos didn't take off I never checked the PH before planting
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey PuravidaC, if you want super easy, use CoCo Loco, on top of your KindSoil, then all you need is water. Doesn't get any easier coco loco, has all kinds of good stuff in it.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          I found roots organic soil has 3 types original this is a good cover soil and there super soil was called green fields I have two plants side by side one in kind with original on top and one with green fields with original on top the plants are the same size growing at the same speed , I have a few more bags of kind and I'm going to keep doing side by sides but green fields is $14 and kind is $87 granted green fields is 1.5 cubic feet and kind is 25 lbs .but I think that when Im out of kind I will keep using green fields

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey OJH, I don't blame you a bit for switching, if it's better.
          If I had room like you do, I would make my own Supersoil, it aint, that hard to make, then you want ,never have to buy nutrients an stuff again.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X