Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you are dreaming of a BIG GROW are ya ? Here is my accidental big grow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmm...chicken...
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Well by now,I was about ready to just say "I give up,we got everything replanted,but my poor babies looked like they had been in a war,and they had lost,broken stems,leaves missing,man I was sick.But low and behold,after about a week "New Growth,I was still having a battle with the chickens,but they were visiting that part of the yard less and less.The last of April,and Thankfully May,were uneventful.By now everything was going fine except the explosive growth,I was trying to keep down,I was pinching constantly,and they we're responding by growing more.June came with a large rain event,six inches overnight on The Second.The land we have is some of the highest on the island,very sandy and drains well.After that massive amount of rain,I expected to see broken limbs and bent stalkes but they were all upright and beautiful a few days,well it was probably a week after that hard rain,I started to notice a little yellowing around the bottom leaves,not overly concerned by this,a natural occurrence with cannabis,but then the yellowing begin to spread upward,the cherry hash showed the signs first then,the ghost train,and then the rest."Oh My God"Here we go again.So searching the Internet for what could be the cause.Now,Natural conclusion?Atleast for me!Dump massive amount of nitrogen on em,I did and the yellowing started to accelerate.Ahhh,OK so that wasn't it,got to be fungus gnats,searched natural remedies for fungus gnats.more later

Comment

Ah o! More trouble!
        Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Mike143
          Mike143 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wouldn't,t you know it?But a smooth sea,never made a salty sailor.

Ok,quick note here,being that the chickens free range and my wife sells the egg overage,I cannot use any kind of chemical poison.So after Very Little research,concluded gnats,dumped h2o2 mix twice,Nothing,still yellowing at an alarming rate.So genius here concluded peroxide don't work.can't use yellow fly paper to confirm gnats paranoid planes might spot the bright yellow,so on to mosquito dunks,nope growth is slowing down,laterals are starting to look like(for lack of a better analogy)plucked chickens.Second week of July I counted ten planes flying overhead,plants are near death,hot and humid,humidity range in the 90s-70s and 80s at night.and paranoid as hell,I headed out with the shears,my wife asked where I was going I said out to put those plants out of their misery and drop my stress level down by 10 points",Oh Hell No You're not"She said,If it is the paranoia then by all means go and cut,and I will not say a word,but if you are admitting defeat,I won't let you.You're grouchy enough as it is,your defeat will just make you more so.I live with Oscar as it is."So GET UP USE THAT MANSIZE BRAIN OF YOURS AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM. OK,so I researched and I came across a site I previously hadn't seen!Grow Weed Easy,hmmm well let's check this one out,I like easy!After looking at all the bug ailments,I had a few culprits in mind,then I looked at nute under feeding to nute over feeding.Then a light went came on inside the brain.Remember the massive rain back at the start of June,well I didn't even think about the growing medium,I was using Home Depot brand of Miricle Grow,now when that rain came back in June It melted a massive amount of nitrogen pellets,and then I dumped more on top of that.Death by love.Now,in the section on nitrogen toxicity I red the description about super dark green leaves with a waxy look to the leaves.Now the cherry hash nor the ghost train or the bubble gum,showed any of those signs, just yellowing leaves.But over in bed no.two I had a small(about two feet tall) cookie wreck,super dark green leaves with ?(Yep you guessed it,waxy looking leaves.)Ureaka,and Thank You GWE,I signed up for the News Letter Pronto."Honey,I found the problem,and that problem was Me all along"So nothing but ph water until first week of Aug.Yellowing stopped, growth resumed back on track.So strutting around like a peacock,plants rebounding nicely,my wife was inspecting the bubblegum,when she said"Hey Professor Struts A lot,what's this grey colored stuff on these leaves"?OooooooooHhhhhhhhh Noooooooooo,(do the oh no in slow mo,for the correct affect). More later

Comment

I can see you strutting around with the chickens!!! Grey colored stuff on the leaves?? Camouflage?
          Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Mike143
            Mike143 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mold.powdery mold

White powdery mold?

Comment

• Mike143
            Mike143 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct.

• Green75
            Green75 commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn man....

Spider mites?

Comment

I'm the kind of person who half way through a book, goes and reads the last chapter. Dammit, I want to know what your final yield was............okay, sort of just kidding, I'm enjoying your story.

Comment

• Mike143
              Mike143 commented
              Editing a comment
              I promise to show the final yield.

OK after some research,I had three remedies to choose,baking soda,peroxide or vinegar.The plants were in their second week of flower,It is recommended that you not use baking soda after third week of flower.So I chose baking soda,it did scorch the flowers,but the mold disappeared,and didn't come back.The flowers rebounded very quickly,Now moving this along,I harvested the first plant Aug 29th,a very trichome laden cherry hash.All the plants seemed to be maturing at a perfect rate,I would cut one down get it trimmed and dried and another one was ready.Great Right? Yep,except for a storm named Hermine.

Comment

Ah shit!!!! What next man? Hermies?
              Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Mike143
                Mike143 commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL,just about the only ailment,I didn't get

Ok so I went out, secured my plants the best I could against 70+ mph wind.And hoped for the best,after the storm I went to check on them,everything was blown down and broken Except,and go figure,the Ghost Haze,these were the tallest plants being the only Sativa's I grew.The tallest was 12'6"and two were 11'4and11'5.Well,nothing to do now except take all the broken ones and butcher them up,luckily all but one needed to be cut anyway.But now I have roughly ten plants that need trimming an hanging,kinda hard to keep the smell down with that much bud drying.Took me two solid days of trimming to get everything hung up and drying.But Hey I still have three Sativa's about three weeks into flower,I decided to just let them grow and see what happens.Well about two weeks after the storm,I started to see brown patches appearing on the buds,first thought was botryis,but it wasn't damp and had no mold smell.It turned out to be a onslaught of green catapillars and they were hungry,I bent the tops down everyday and picked em off,one by one,fed the little varmints to the chickens,I did this for about a week until I gave up,wouldn't spray cause I would ruin what bud I had left.

Comment

• Green75
                Green75 commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, what a story....I am not sure I would of made it through all that....kudos ....wow what could happen next

Ok, the catapillars would have done it for me. No way I'd pick them off.

Comment

Mike, don't feel pressured to finish your story because of me. Take you time, but take it as a compliment that we are anxious to here more. I'm going to try to get to sleep now, but I really do live up to my moniker.

Since I'm a real lightweight, I am really anxious to use our trim for come edibles. A nice bedtime treat to help me sleep.

Comment

• Mike143
                  Mike143 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I know you all are just having a little fun.No offense taken,and this story must have an ending.

Oh man! Caterpillars? Isn't there something that would take them out organically! Huge plants!
                Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Mike143
                  Mike143 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Neem oil maybe,but not enough time for it to break down,buds would have tasted terrible,probably would have to trash em.

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. They're called BT insecticides they have a bacteria that fucks up the caterpillar digestive system. They die within 24 hours. And no harm to other plants or animals.

Ok well,this is it,I was burping my jars and I took a few pictures of the finished product,I ended up with 22 quarts,But they are not full by any means.I have only had experience with three jars at a time,before this and now I have 7 times that many,plus I am still learning the fine art of drying and curing.Still not that good at it.Mastering this skill,is just as important,if not more than Mastering the Grow.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X