Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you are dreaming of a BIG GROW are ya ? Here is my accidental big grow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you are dreaming of a BIG GROW are ya ? Here is my accidental big grow.

The place I finally decided on,is directly behind my chicken pen.I live on an island approximately 3 miles wide by seven miles long in a southern state.I have an acre of land that is very wooded and surrounded by a six foot tall wooden privacy fence.The small airport we have is located about two miles due south,being a resort area,their are banner planes flying all summer long,9 in the morning until seven at night,also an air ambulance(translation)Helicopter.I studied my spot for two years,before I decided to go for it.Clearing the trees last winter was a painstaking task as some had grown to over thirty feet.I had flagged the trees to cut during the summer,for maximum sunshine.Two were dangerously close to the chicken pen,and I had a cold sweat when I dropped them,by the shear grace of God,neither chickens,nor Paul Bunyon were harmed.Now,next I knew I was going to half to bury whatever was going to hold my potting mix,because the landscape was going to half to look as natural as possible,I finally decided to use plastic fish totes,these measure 4 feet long 2 feet wide x22"deep,I calculated that each tote would need three cubic feet of potting soil.I also wanted to restrict the height of the plants and I figured the relatively small containers would help with that WRONG ! So I dug my holes,broke up the soil underneath where the totes would sit.Next I applied a layer of small river rock about a foot deep,turned the bottoms into swisscheese sit then on top of the rock,added about two inches of rock in the bottom of the totes added growing medium,up to about an inch below the top,then covered the rest with the natural soil,covered the places with plastic a little more dirt,and when I went back,Hell evenI couldn't find em,stepped in one first.OK,second mistake on this grow,started seeds way to early.March had been unusually warm and I was itching to get started,so with every voice in my head saying "It's way to early"I planted anyway.I have a small green house,so I moved my seedlings out during the day then in at night.Third mistake,So many varieties which kind should I settle on.I had been like a kid in a candy store,at the various seed banks all winter and now had about two thousand,yes two thousand dollars worth of seeds.Well, I decided,10cherry hash,10 ghost train haze,OK,20 twenty plants,but wait,I really wanted to try this Indiana bubblegum,so five of them,but,dragon it,I wanted to try this blackberry Trainwreck,so five of them.Awww but I really wanted to grow some east coast cookie wreck,so five of those.More Later !!

Wow it sounds like you have access to everything you need to make your own living soil and a place to do an outdoor grow. I am envious. Be sure to compost that chicken manure at least one year; it is really "hot".

Comment

I can see how that happens!
      Team AutoMechanics

Comment

L-I-V-I-N, livin' ya know what I'm sayin' lol

Comment

Have a question???first time grower. Dried bud properly put into jars seems like the buds around to dry it's only been two days will they start to get moisture back in them .being in the jars???thank you for any insite.

Comment

• Wattze
            Wattze commented
            Editing a comment
            honestly, yes, they should have a little moisture left in them, however you should only check them about once a day at first, then once they start to dry up, check them about every 3-5 days to make sure everything is still going okay! Grow weed easy has a ton on this, hopefully this helped a little bit (:

Wow. Sounds like you're going with a jungle. Not a grow.

I'd grow what I like. Have you tried any of those strains you got seeds for? I would get some variety in there, meaning a few heavy sativa, sat dominant, 50/50, indica dom, indica heavy. Typically people are indica or sativa people. I'm right down the middle. I love em both.

Comment

Mike, still waiting on Chapter 2. Chapter 1 peaked my interest.

Comment

I just stick some seeds in the dirt and water.

Kidding, of course......You sound like quite the industrious individual. I also live in the South and am paranoid beyond Nixon. I don't want to become a law enforcement fund raiser. Let us know when the next installment is available. ;-).

Comment

go for it when soil gets some age on it you will stop growing bushes and start getting trees

Comment

Originally posted by Alumahead View Post
                  I just stick some seeds in the dirt and water.

Kidding, of course......You sound like quite the industrious individual. I also live in the South and am paranoid beyond Nixon. I don't want to become a law enforcement fund raiser. Let us know when the next installment is available. ;-).
                  I hear you. Damn backwards ass states.

Comment

• PuravidaC
                    PuravidaC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed Insomniaczzz, but DC is next door to me!!! My state will be one of the last to come around!!!

I am glad to see everyone having fun reading this,honestly,I couldn't make this stuff up.:Ok so,Now I have a sea of seedlings,I have all my varieties in color coded cups,except for the ghost,and cherry,they were started in those cheep break away trays .All ten cherries,and nine ghosts up and running after only five days germinating in the soil.So everything looking really good first set of leaves growing enormous after only a week,One particular evening was rather warm so I decided,to leave them out in the wild, Big Mistake.I went out to check on the babies the next morning before work,as I was walking up to them,something just didn't look quite right."Time for Pyscho Theme here"Mr or Mrs Rabbit had came during the night and helped themselves to four ghost trains,severely damaged one,then moved on to five cherries,what once looked like a very promising grow,now was just two trays of tiny stalks.Work sucked that day,So,here is where the accidental comes in,after pouting all day,(Thinking of all the ways I could kill that rabbit)"And no I never harm bunnies,but that one died a thousand deaths in my head"Ok so after this little set back,I decided what the hell,I will just replace the ones eaten with more,"Smart Right" ?So into the ground go five LSD,and five grapefruit.HAH,Take that, you Wascally Wabbit,eat my plants will ya,I GOT MORE,I roared.So now I have made a little compound that is rabbit proof,So after this little set back,I pick the 29th of March,as the target day to transplant seedlings into their permanent homes.Now March in the South,if warm at the start,usually turns cool in the end,but I knew better,This March was going to be warm all the way through I declared,So here it is,March 29th,it's go time Ladies and Gentlemen,I took all the color coded seedlings and transplanted them into their forever homes.But wait,now they are not in the color coded cups and trays anymore,Aww that's alright,I can remember where each and every variety is.(Stoned and Mermory don't quite go together)So everything nestled into their new homes,I decided to check the weather,Strong Cold Front,Predicted April Second,Won't get that cold I said,April Second,Started out Warm and Sunny,That night the temperature drooped from Seventy two,to thirty nine.Thirty seven degree drop.OMG.More Later.

Comment

• PuravidaC
                    PuravidaC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "When March comes in like a lamb, it will go out like a lion". I know... a little late!

• Mike143
                    Mike143 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right You are

get u some welded wire mine is 1/2 inch wide hole by 1 inch long cut high enough to step over then connect the ends

Comment

Mike, more story please!

Comment

This story is keep the suspense right up there with the shadow and shower curtain scene!
                      Team AutoMechanics

Comment

Well,they survived the temperature drop fine,I just knew they would be stunted,but it didn't hurt them in the least.OK,next hurdle,Chickens! I free range my chickens,I use them for eggs only,Wife has them all named,So anyway,the chickens had added the grow spot as one of their spots to hunt for bugs.Chickens love love love,potting soil, they can scratch a three gallon pot empty in a manner of minutes.Up to now,the potting soil had been covered,so the chickens never noticed the buried pots until. So the bunny was bad enough,the cold was scary,but the chickens nearly wiped out the entire grow.I went to work about two days after the cold snap,I went to check on my crop after I got home,only to find almost all my young plants dug up and discarded and most of the soil scratched out into a pile.AAAAHHHHH,how we did not eat chicken that night I'll never now.I ran into the house screaming I'm Gonna Kill -em,started out the door with the shotgun,my wife snatched the gun out of my hands and said calm down,she put the gun up,then she went with me and we replanted everything.More Tomorrow.

Comment

• Alumahead
                          Alumahead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would eat chicken every night until there's nothing left but feathers. Lol

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X