Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another question about lights (cmh in 3x3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question about lights (cmh in 3x3)

Hello all,

I'm new here and would like to ask a newbie question about lec (cmh) lights. I've been researching for a couple of months in preparation of setting up my first grow. I've studied different lights, different grow mediums, different training techniques, a lot of different things honestly.

While the information is easy to understand it is also overwhelming. So many different techniques and perspectives and variables, coupled with personal preference, make it a bit much. Also, my personality is as such that I always over think everything anyway, including buying things, especially buying things.

I intend to setup either a 3x3 or possibly 4x4 tent. I will be growing quality genetics, feminized seeds, most likely I will simply topping or FIMing then lst. Most likely in smart pots and non soil. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of growing but I also understand knowing and doing are two different things! But I feel okay to start and see how it goes and use the Internet to help along the way.

What I am utterly confused about, even after reading countless posts here and elsewhere, reading grow journals, watching youtube vids, etc is the light setup!!!

I am leaning towards a CMH (lec or other brand) or LED. But I would like to know if the yields are significantly less than hps? This is assuming good genetics and an optimal environment and good growing skills. Would the yields be significantly less? Or just moderately less? If LEC/LED is just moderately less I would be okay with that. If we are talking many ounces.... then... idk!

The cooler temps, no need to switch bulbs, longer life of bulbs seem appealing.

I feel I am rambling and I apologize but then comes the question of lec vs. led. I think I've read this same question countless times so I don't know what to gain by asking again but I'm frustrated and overwhelmed and over thinking it to a stupid degree!

Lastly would two lights (either lec or led) physically fit in a 3x3? My understanding is the larger 630 lec has glass and I don't want to limit the uv. A 3x3 is 450 sq ft. so the smaller one wouldn't seem to give ideal wattage for optimal performance (50-60 watts sq. ft). The same with the actual watts of LEDs. Even though they put off less heat would two lights be too much heat to control easily in a small 3x3?

I have other beginner questions (pertaining to best method for yield - less plants grown bigger or 3-4 plants grown medium-ish) but I think I'll stop now.

To recap

Is LEC/LED yield significantly less than hps if all other things are equal?

LEC vs. LED and why please.

Can two lights physically fit in a 3x3 tent and is this a bad idea?

Bonus question in a 3x3 would it be better to stick to 1 or 2 larger-ish plants or go for 3-4 small-ish medium plants. I understand there are variables such as training techniques and veg time plus preference, etc.

My goal is to get a lb. each harvest or more if realistic (once I'm good at growing etc). Setting up two smaller tents (2x2) and going for a somewhat perpetual setup could be an option as well and the yield from ea. could be less.

I am done rambling. Thanks for reading thus far if you've made it this far!

Sincerely,
    Overwhelmed and tired of analyzing lights but still wanting to make a good choice!

I didn't mean to say a 3x3 had 450 sq. ft. I meant to say ideally one should aim for 450 watts of light in a 3x3 based on min. of 50 watts per sq.ft. According to GWE.

*whoops* I'm clumsily messing up my first post lol.

Comment

Hey man, I like to ramble too! You ready? 😂
      Sounds like if I were in your shoes and with what I know now this would be my suggestion. First grow, keep it simple. One light, one plant, soil, 7 gallon grow bag or regular nursery pots, no lst, no topping, no nothing. Let her do her thing and let her teach you a few things before playing god.
      Lec 315 in a 3x3 is perfect, 18-24” from the top of the canopy and you’ll be golden. 3k bulb from seed to chop.
      some leds are great some not. Viparspectra has good prices and products.
      Nanolux carries a lec315 selling for $200 at my hydro shop. It rocks! Bulb not included though!
      Soil has nutrients in it so no need to mess with nutes right away, ocean forest will keep them going for a month easily. Coco requires a deeper understanding of fertilizers and nutes as it has none. Soil forgives.
      one plant. Plenty to fuss with in a 3x3 as a newbie.
      with a 1.5-2 months veg, 7 -10gallons is plenty. 5gallon for autos is sufficient. Airpots are the best though!
      When I started I started with complicated, real complicated like, starting simple, mistakes remain small ...and cheap!
      If you have experience growing fruits and vegetables you’ll be fine, otherwise take it slow and simple, it’ll pay off!
      easy strains like northern lights and the like...
      get your ph pen and ppm reader, some emerald harvest or Roots Organics and get growing!
      keep notes, get a grow journal!
      and ask questions!
      good luck man!
      x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

Hi lucky acres, thank you for your thoughts. Do you think one lec would be good enough to maximize the yield in a 3x3? If having two in there would bump up the yield I would certainly start off with two as it would pay for itself over time anyway. I understand it's a small space and one lec would probably do it but if the 630 or two of the 315s would yield more I'd rather just start with them!

I make no promises as to not topping lol! I've read so many journals and watched so many videos it feels like a crime to not put the info to use!

Comment

• LuckyAcres
          LuckyAcres commented
          Editing a comment
          I grew side by side the same strain last year, one side of the grow with lec, the other with led. Discarding the massive mohawk growth in the center where the lights were overlapping, in the end both sides delivered the same type of nugs, same size, dense af, tasty and smelly. Here’s the catch though. Led is 600w output, lec is only about 330w. Same results for half the power used, led new was $400, lec was $355 bulb included. Heat generated is about same as I bought the lec with detached ballast that I keep in the other room. That was simple math, I don’t use the viperspectra anymore and got 4 lecs now!

Most report a drop off in yields from HPS to LED, but it is not significant enough to be the only or dominant factor
        There are a few things to consider.
        1. What is your climate? I choose LED in my set-up because I live in a hot dry climate. Running HPS would require venting outside and running AC and humidifier all the time. Running LEDs I can usually acheive the perfect climate by opening or closing a door.
        2. How much time and other resources are you willing/planning/hoping to invest? It doesn't sound like you are the type to forget about your plants for a few days, but do you want to have to check on them several times a day and can you avoid leaving them for more than 24 hours during the grow? This could impact light and grow medium decisions.
        3. If you use LEDs you can easily put two in a 3x3. I have 2 Viparspectra 450s in a 4x4. The same lights or similar would be ideal for a 3x3. Better to get 2 smaller than 1 larger LED in most situations.
        4. I am growing 6 plants in there, so I'll let you guess my answer to the bonus question

Comment

"but it is not significant enough to be the only or dominant factor" this is what I've been wanting to hear! People always talk of a drop in yield but its been hard for me to determine how much of a drop. I see those viparspectras are very highly related on amazon and if I do get LED likely I will go with them. No way I would consider any of the $1500+ lights (kind etc). I'm not bashing those lights because who am I? But nah... I'm good I think. I'm obviously willing to invest some $ but within reason. I had unofficially made up my mind to buy these but then started considering CMH lights... again... I always do this with expensive, or important, decisions.

Campesino may I ask about your yields in your 4x4 with the 2 lights and 6 plants? Any expectations on what you think you might get?

Comment

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            I will know pretty soon, but I am still about 5 weeks to harvest. I am hesitant to throw out a prediction at this point, because that could only lead to disaster, lol.
            I have a pretty complete grow journal though.

And I will certainly entertain your guestimates of the yield I will get.
            I can say that I am impressed with these lights. I was concerned that I would not have enough, but I am getting really even coverage across the tent. You can see in the time-lapse GIFs that I posted that all the plants and all the Colas are growing really evenly even at the edges and between the two lights. I don't grow in the first foot or so, so the effective growing area I am using is 4x3.

I just subscribed to your journal. Will read through it tomorrow. Gotta sign off for now. See ya around

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Morning 061, you want get a better answer than the ones Luckyacres gave you, keep it simple, autoflowers to start with, plenty strong smoke,
            Think about your heat, if it's even close to being a potential problem, go with LED, if heat is not going to be a problem definitely go with the 315cmh, I promise you will be glad you did,GrowersChoice has a great light ,315cmh, that has dimmable feature that you can turn it down to 190watts for seedlings.
            Try not to over think everything, make your choice ,and let's get to growing, keep it simple, is really the best way.
            Good Luck 061, and Welcome to GWE.

• LuckyAcres
            LuckyAcres commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the show!

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucky writes a kick ass journal, especially now that he's crossed over to the bubbles side.

I have a 3x3x6 tent with one 315 LEC light by Sun System.. Every two and half three months I harvest no less than a pound from four auto plants.. I have used mh/hps for tons of years.. This 315 is a game changer man.. if you want two bulbs..get a 630 LEC by Sun System...

Comment

• gbauto
            gbauto commented
            Editing a comment
            This guy KNOWS LEC...

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            What Green said, I got mine a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

@69 I could legit benefit from keeping it simple and just starting. I legit over think everything.

Green beautiful man. I would be so happy to get a pound ea. harvest with a 3x3 and one 315 cmh planting 4 trees. That sounds totally reasonable for my needs.

Has anyone ordered from grower choice seeds in Cali? I know lots of ppl order from overseas and all but I'd rather stay domestic for faster shipping and avoiding customs and all. Their website is top notch IMHO , better than some of the overseas guys imho. Customer service via live chat was helpful and friendly. They seem to be fairly discreet and the prices seem avg. Plus there were good Google reviews, albeit not a lot, but every one was good.

I think I will try through them and order other things on amazon.

I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts. Reading a billion posts and actually talking to someone about are two different things! So thanks.

Comment

I went back and forth between LED and LEC like you before deciding to go with single LEC. My grow space is 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5' with a 4" in-line exhaust fan. I have issues with heat when humidity is low during flower so I would diffently suggest a larger exhaust fan, with speed control. I just ordered a 6" fan (470 cfm) and hope that will be enough. I can't make my grow space any bigger but would recommend bigger tent. I can barely get everything in my space and that's with the carbon filter outside of space. I also think larger tent would help dissipate heat. I only have one grow with new LEC and it was my first auto grow so I don't have a good comparison but it sure is a sun cannon!
            DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
            315 LEC
            6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
            6" Carbon filter
            3- 6" fans
            humidifier
            temp and humidity gauge
            5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
            FF trio nutrients

Comment

For awhile I was thinking a 3x3 but I think I will go with a 4x4. For just a little more it would seem to be better than dealing with something that might end up being too frustrating. I'm concerned that a 315 lec wouldn't be powerful enough for the area though, in order to get optimal results. Idk... eventually I'll get tired of thinking and just buy something but I have to wait until I move which is rapidly approaching! I can't wait to move.

Comment

• Green75
                Green75 commented
                Editing a comment
                One 315 LEC has the best 3x3 coverage..

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X