First grow, humidity questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow, humidity questions

I looked for this topic specifically and didn’t find what I wanted (though perhaps I didn’t look enough), so I’m asking.

I live in FL and I’m going to do my first grow soon, outdoors. I have all the other details worked out, but humidity and temperature are stumping me a bit. Where I live, our rainy season is from May to October. Our temps vary a lot during that time, anywhere from 70-95 in recent years. My grow spot is quite open, gets lots of sunlight, and has good airflow.

I know high humidity can cause a variety of issues or be good, so I’m not sure what to think or plan for. I’m starting with an auto so I can get a feel for the process, and if all goes well I’ll begin some photoperiods when the weather gets consistent.

I guess basically my question is should I be concerned with our state's humidity? I know people grow successfully here but I’m not sure what they’re doing to help their plants. Thoughts?

High humidity will be an issue closer to harvest. Lower humidity is good for flowering in general plus the higher the humidity, the greater the chance of bud rot and/or mildew. At least your temps will be up! (I got screwed by cool, wet weather at the end of my grow.)
    My first grow

Comment

Have a fan blowing on them.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• BelleTigresse
        BelleTigresse commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be a great idea but the area isn’t exactly near an electrical source. Fortunately it’s well ventilated though and we get a decent breeze most days.

Belle, I wouldnt worry at all until late in flowering when your buds fatten up. The worry then is powdery mildew, whos spores are everywhere. However if you have reasonably good airflow and the weather stays warm and sunny between rainy periods, you shouldnt have any serious problems.
      Organic only soil grower
      Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
      Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Hi Belle,
        If you have a part of the season that tends to be dryer, try to time the end of flowering then. That last couple weeks is when gray mold can be a big problem in your densest collas.
        A breeze is your friend all the way around with cannabis.
        Some outdoor growers shake the the moisture off there buds after a rain or heavy dew. Water on Buds is bad.
        Also look for Mold resistant variety's, the quality seed company's that GWE recommends, have some that do better than others in high humidity.

Best of luck with your grow!!
        Organic Soil,
        with molasses,
        In a Greenhouse with,
        Redneck engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
          Have a fan blowing on them.
          He will-they're called hurricanes...
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Welcome, Belle.
            I grew up in central Florida-growing random plants in the boggy flats down by my local stream. Didn't know jack about pH or nutrients-just planted them and hoped for the best-this was in the early 80's. This was the first time I realized how hardy these plants can be-they grew like, well, weeds.
            Getting back to the original question-Based on my experience growing in the 'Smokies', if you don't have standing fog in the AM it'll be fine. I would be more concerned with the possibility of tropical storms/hurricanes coming through during the peak of flowering-that would really blow.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X