Dry ice hash to concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry ice hash to concentrate

Received my 99.9% iso today! Using my dry ice hash from my first grow to make some wax....hopefully. I will be using 6.2 g of 73 micron, 17.7 g of 160 micron, and 21.5 g of 220 micron. The method of choice is qwiso. I put my jar of iso and jar of hash in the deep freezer tonight. Won't get to it until Sunday so should have plenty of time to chill. Doing a double wash and using a 25 micron screen to filter. I'll purchase a seed mat to help with the purge of the iso. And as UrbZ suggests, also getting a silicone baking vessel to do it in.

Anyone want to throw out a guess as to how much I'll get?
    I'll be happy if I get 10 g
    Attached Files
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

it seems to me that hash is just trics off the plant so you should get a good yield I was thinking about doing the same thing so I will be watching good luck
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Nice work on the dry ice hash. I was looking towards that direction with my current trim. I usually blast BHO with it.
      What's the advantages of turning keif into a solvent based concentrate? You already have the holy grail : a solventless concentrate. What more is there to gain?
      Its hard to imagine that 10gr of wax could get you more stoned than 45gr of keif?
      These are serious questions I seem to be missing a vital piece of the puzzle.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        Wax is easier to work with for one. That powder flies everywhere. I looked under my scope at the 73 and it looks like there's plant matter in there. So....this would remove everything but the resin. And that's what we are after, are we not? It will be stronger and cleaner than the ice hash basically

• KingKush
        KingKush commented
        Editing a comment
        Copy that! I was thinking along those lines... I'm totally on your side on making dank concentrates. Just wondering if making BHO from kief vs. trim would result in a different product. Let me know what it turns out like!

I enjoy regular butane hash oil. I got this quad coil pen for me and the wife and made some crazy good stuff for our thanksgiving trip about 4g from 4 bottles of butane. Now that's exhausted I was contemplating dry ice hash and if you could use that in an e-pen like you can hash oil or wax. I got the big one, ultra large x4coil head so I think it could power through some dry ice hash or kief. It's the plant matter that will probably gum it up?
        That's why I'm curious to all this. Thanks for fielding the comments!

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        I like a nice clean bho as well. I would rather not mess around with pressure and explosive gases so the iso is the way I will go. Want to try n-hexane wash next time with a second iso wash and see the difference.
        I am also going to just use my nectar collector on the 73 next time and see how much residue it leaves. I would be interested to see how the coils hold up to dry sift.
        Quad coil? That has to rip! Probably kills the battery too haha. I will keep this updated with my results on ease of procedure and smoking/vaping quality.

Howdy @Rosetta Stoned, I do not think that You should be using isopropyl alcohol!!! It is poisonous and NOT TO BE TAKEN internally! If You want to further concentrate the dry ice hash, use ONLY ethanol ! Isopropyl and methyl alcohols are deadly to take internally and at best can cause blindness.
      Last edited by DW2; 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: added tag
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        So if iso has 100% evaporation rate, what's the harm? I appreciate your concern and I'm not trying to argue. How can this be bad if it has been done before? I feel like something would have come up by now if there was any kind of issue.

• ZigZag
        ZigZag commented
        Editing a comment
        All I know is that I don't want any chemicals in my smokeble/edible products. So I tend to go with solvent less "extracts" like dry ice or bubble hash or rosin.
        I freeze the rosin and then use before it thaws cuz its so much easier. Also use the decreased hash and rosin in edibles and tinctures. Works for me and its always clean.

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        ZigZag I agree I am all about the natural. Question, do you grow organic, pH your water organically? If so more power to you, I am on my way there. It's hard to argue with proven extract solutions like iso. 100% evaporation rate sounds good to me. I respect your opinion, so don't think I am just disregarding
        I am trying all kinds of ways for extracts. My wife wants a new hair straightener so there's my rosin press 😉 to love the simplicity of rosin

RosettaStoned

I would suggest because you are using hash and not bud. fill your jar containing the hash 3/4 of the way up with alcohol. With bud you have less product to cover and wash so less alcohol is needed. The volume of hash you have would require more alcohol. Might even be easier to seperate in it 2 washes. Half the amount of hash and half a jar of alcohol each wash. You can also double wash each batch.

I can see you getting 5-10 grams of was from this.
      ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

I am intrested in how this goes good luck be safe have fun
        It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

I could not find a silicone bakeware anywhere and seed mats were pricey. So ordering online, will be here by Tues. I put another jar of iso in the freezer. More waiting.....should be used to it by now 😁
          "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
          600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

What you will get is OIL, which is just as good to dab, but it's going to be gooier. I evaporated the everclear out of my tincture and ended up with oil. I just did what you're doing with the alcohol, and you won't end up with wax: you have to use heat and compression to get wax. [correction posted below by RosettaStoned: rosin--not wax.]
          Last edited by alltatup; 01-30-2018, 05:17 AM.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            That's interesting, Jason. So I made TAR, not oil!

• RosettaStoned
            RosettaStoned commented
            Editing a comment
            Heat and compression is rosin. There should be a way to stabilize it more, but I will have to read a little more about it.
            The green is chlorophyll and you shouldn't get too much in there from iso because it's polar. Chlorophyll is mostly non polar but it sounds like it depends on ionic charge as to how much can be absorbed by the solvent. I think I have this right
            The extract should also come out a pristine amber/golden color. The texture and consistency are determined by the temperature and speed in which it is extracted and purged.
            Last edited by RosettaStoned; 01-30-2018, 12:30 AM.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the correction, RosettaStoned that is rosin.

All my stuff came and I got to it right after work. I tried to work in the freezer as much as possible. First had to rig up my screen (25 micron) in my funnel, used two pinch clips for paper to hold it in place. Put on latex gloves then an insulated glove on the shaking hand. Poured the iso into the hash jar and shook for 25 seconds. Put funnel on iso jar. Poured as much as I could without going over screen. One problem I see so far is, although the plant matter won't go through the screen it is fine enough that it slows the draining process down......alot. so I took a spoon and stirred the goop around so it can drain. Did this until I finished the jar and closed the freezer lid. Came back 20 minutes later and it was basically drained. It has a slight tint of green. Problem two I see is it takes so long to drain I am picking up some chlorophyll. I poured the iso into the clean silicone baking pan, put some cheese cloth over it for dust, plugged in the seed mat, and put the fan on low blowing over the pan.
          That was Tuesday, almost all the iso has evaporated as of today
          ​ ​​​​
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a question which I hope is germane to the conversation: I just made RSO with Everclear (which I think is what alltatup made and simply called 'oil'). Is there an easy way to make something vape-able from that, or is dabbing the way to go?

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Mh, I have vaped the oil on the oil pad that comes with my vaporizer. It's quite nice. I tried dabbing some, but I think that was too much heat for the oil.

I'm not the person ask, sorry. I've only ever done rosin, live resin, and wax like bho, pho, CO2, etc. This is my first try at making anything concentrate other than butter, which come to find out does zero for me.

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Does zero? How did you take it? You gotta experiment and find the right method of delivery and the right amount. Unless it plain old don't work.....

• RosettaStoned
              RosettaStoned commented
              Editing a comment
              I've tried several times over the years, even double strength batches, eating four times as much, your leaf cooking experiment.....nothing. the only time was when I was 17ish and me and a buddy ate a whole pan with an oz of shwag in it. I felt like I was extremely exhausted while trying to walk around an amusement park.

alltatup What kind of vaporizer do you have? Never heard of an oil pad...

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the Storz and Bickel Plenty, and I think it's an excellent little machine. It has a really big space to pack with herb, so you can share with 3 other people and all get high.

I stopped even trying edibles. They affect different receptors in the body than smoking/vaping , and, if they work, the high I get just isn't as nice. To add to that, it's affected by 'way too many variables-- the strain (usually unknown), the strength (even if correctly made and measured, it can affect me differently than someone else), and how much food I ate and how recently I ate it. Consuming an edible and then finally coming onto it three hours later can be a problem...

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you. The only way I want to mess with edibles is early in the morning in small amounts. I'm learning how to do it right with the leaves, cuz I had a real negative experience some years back. I don't want to be surprised in 3 hours, either.

Completely forgot about this! So my wax is a failure but learned a little something for next time. Since it drained so slow it picked up some chlorophyll but other than that, it is a dark brown color. No iso smell though. Next time I will resift the 160 and 220 through the 73 to remove as much plant matter as possible. Also thinking probably should split it. Then wash one with previous method and one where I pour the iso over the sift through the screen.
            alltatup what ethanol do you use? I read something about cleaning up iso extracts with ethanol to percipitate the unwanteds out of the frozen solution.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_154009.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	172075

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I use Everclear PGA. I'm fortunate that they sell the 190 proof where I live. And I'm so thrilled to discover that the RSO I made from evaporating some tincture kicks butt when taken sublingually. I dabbed some right after I first made it, but the effects are so superior from just eating it.

So I tried a quick wash with iso and got this. It’s almost flavourless. A bit like hash, smells like hash. Gave me a nice high and very easy on lungs. I used trimmed bud and only washed for about 15-20sec. First time I have tried anything like it and it’s actually decent
            Setup
            4’x4’x6.6’
            600W MH
            2x innova 19w full spec led
            175cfm fan, can 33 filter
            8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

• abadtrip
              abadtrip commented
              Editing a comment
              Can u detail the wash part for me

• BlueBudz
              BlueBudz commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t really know anything bout this stuff. Just had a jar of well cured outdoor larfy buds and gave it a try. Everything was at room temp I used a half (open) bottle of (91% 🤭) iso dumped enough to cover material (mostly. Placed a 25 micron screen over jar, put lid ring on to secure screen agitated it a bit and turned it over draining into a glass dish covered with another screen. Put it on the bar in the basement directly under a heat vent in the ceiling and I actually forgot about it until the next week.

• abadtrip
              abadtrip commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks mate that's enough info to make me dangerous I am off to find a screen

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X