Transplanting autos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplanting autos?

Is it safe to transplant autos or are they diffrent in that aspect from the photos?

Much more difficult to transplant I do it as early as possible! I don’t mean it’s hard to do,the plants just don’t respond well to it!
    stressed out and shocked is what I mean. Luck

Comment

If you have really good hands, and can remove your plant from the first cup without disturbing the root ball, you can have the benefit of a smaller vessel for your seedling without getting rootbound when it's time. But if you stress your plant, you will make it stop growing for a while, which means lower yield.

For soil, I like to set my sprout in a jiffy pellet in Happy Frog in a disposable container. I like the Korma and Vindaloo Sauce containers from Costco, you can see when the roots are appearing at the sides of the container, and know exactly when your plant is ready for a bigger pot, and you can VERY CAREFULLY slice down the sides of the cup with a utility knife and gently peel the cup away, leaving your root ball like a perfectly formed cranberry sauce out of a can, and then pot.

Or you could start them in a jiffy cup and then when it's ready, set the whole thing in the bigger pot of soil.
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Autos don't like to be transplanted.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• ToxicGrower
          ToxicGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends on how it's transplanted and when. I transplanted mine and it flourished like crazy. It loved it. And shot to the sky when I did it. Just have to be very careful.

I transplant auto's- timing is important- they should be transplanted when they are at 4-5 nodes and 1 week before the flowering stretch begins (they must be healthy and actively growing)- wait too long and they become root bound- too soon and they tend to be stressed and use valuable time to recover.

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...er-intentional

The last few I have done - I used 1 gal fabric bags for better horizontal root growth.
        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I use peat pots. When the roots start to poke out, bury the peat pot in the finale pot.

Comment

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, I do the same.

I started mine in solo cups hope it takes to the transplant
          what would happen if i transplanted it now while it is still small?

4'x 6' x 8' room
          2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
          sunshine mix #4
          mega crop nutes
          current grow
          cd-1
          jack herer
          afghan kush
          green doctor

Comment

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            ToxicGrower is right, but I think you could go a little longer before you transplant, like until the plant above the cup is about the size of the cup itself, which may take you 1 or 2 weeks depending on how well you treat all other conditions, like not overwatering, checking your pH, etc. That way, your roots have chance to grow big strong enough to hold the dirt ball together in a healthy chunk, and might not even notice that the cup they are in has been quietly slipped away and replaced by fresh, spacious, perfectly moistened soil.

It's not that autos don't like being transplanted, it's that they don't like being stressed.(by anything) because it makes them slow down when they facing a deadline.

Planting a teeny tiny seedling in a giant pot causes them to get overwatered and stressed.
            Transplanting a premature, weak root ball damages the roots and causes stress.
            Becoming rootbound in a small container causes stress.

The trick with autos is to eliminate stress, and make conditions optimal for the little guy through all of her phases, and not cause any hold ups in development. With a photoperiod in veg, you can make all the mistakes in the world, and if your plant doesn't die, and you have time to help it recover, you can grow indefinitely. But not so with autos.

• ToxicGrower
            ToxicGrower commented
            Editing a comment
            I had mine in a big pot from the beginning. What I did to not over water was made a circle of water around the plant and o my enough to get the tip couple inches wet. And as the plant got bigger I added more water to the circle. I never directly poured onto the plant or even very close to it. I still do it in just a circle and around it but now I use about a half gallon a watering. I never one time overwatered. You just gotta have a sense for exactly how much water your putting related to how much root there is.

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. It can totally be done. I think Greenie, the local Auto-Lord grows his monsters all in 1 pot, too.

ill give it a couple more days it should be fine
          4'x 6' x 8' room
          2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
          sunshine mix #4
          mega crop nutes
          current grow
          cd-1
          jack herer
          afghan kush
          green doctor

Comment

Speaking of not stressing autos, this little cutie is 2 1/2 weeks old, and I've spilled her twice. Somehow, she's not dead, but she is only starting to show her 2nd node. If she makes it to flower, I doubt her roots will reach the sides of the jiffy cup. She's not even taller than the sides of the cup. If she yields anything, I may press it in a book and frame it in a shadow-box.
            Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Dutchman1
              Dutchman1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Funny stuff.

Thanks for the responses, have clear solo cups I was going to use so I could watch for the roots, but this will be my first grow so I think I'll just use the final pot so I days as little stress as possible lol.

Comment

• ToxicGrower
              ToxicGrower commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah just water lightly and keep it close to the plant at the beginning. And only do a little at first.Like i said above try to envision the roots and only let the water go down as far as the roots are and u will do great.

I transplanted a couple of autos one time. They were probably 2 inches tall and had maybe 3 sets of true leaves. One slowed down a lot then the other started flowering like the next two days. I culled it. I also mainlines one and broke a mainline off and it went straight to flowering. I have seen people transplant autos all day long. I can’t.

Comment

Best indeed to plant your autos in their final resting place. 5gal works great!
              for the story, one of my mazar that’s finishing was started in a 3 gallon pot, cause why not right?
              ended up having to move her to a #7 airpot halfway thru flower she was getting so rootbound. Like having to water her every 12 hrs! I was super careful not to disturb her roots at all, pop her out, pop her back in, and she did not skip a beat, at all!
              x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X