New Indoor Grow Room Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Indoor Grow Room Question

First time planning to grow. Let alone build an indoor grow room. My situation at home doesn't allow me to set up a tent.
    I'm closing off the back end of my walk in closet. Plan is to take a 10x10 panda film and close it off with a zipper I'd glue on down the middle for access to the grow. The flooring is carpet. Wife absolutely will not allow me to rip up the carpet to get a complete seal. The walls and ceiling that the panda film will be attached to will be sealed but the carpet flooring can't be 100% sealed, obviously. Could this be an issue?
    I will have a 6" exhaust fan with a cfm rating higher than the square feet of the room. With a 8" sponge type filter inlet, possibly 2 if the negative pressure is too high (not sure yet or even the math to figure that out is).
    Could there be an issue with not having a near 100% air tight room that only allows intake through a filter?
    Thanks for any feedback you have!

I'm new to growing but here's what I have to say
    Why don't you cover the carpet in panda too? I would cut a piece about six inches longer each way to run up the sides a touch then tape it to the wall plastic and walls. Maybe behind the wall plastic, then tape wall plastic over it in case of water spillage. Or if you foliar spray. You'll get a little upward light too. Better than light reflecting off of carpet. I'd cover all the walls in panda too but that's just me.

Length x width x height = your cubic feet of space. Now divide that total by the cfm of your fan and that will give how many minutes it takes to replace the air. Assuming you have the right intake size and ideal conditions for the inline. Anything before or after can reduce the cfm drastically....like a carbon filter, or a lot of bends in a long run of pipe, wrong size cfm for filter, etc...
    And I think, don't quote me, but from my memory you need one square foot of intake/hole size per 300 cfm. There is a more sophisticated equation for figuring out how much cfm you need. It accounts for all lights and if you want to reduce the temperature of the room (assuming your intake temp is lower than your room) by any number of degrees you want.
    Then, where are you going to vent the air? Think about the hot humid air before you go cutting holes into an attic or wherever. Don't need that build over a winter then end up with water damage or mold. If you don't have cold winters, then probably less of a problem. Just a thought. Sorry for rambling on

Good luck!
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• Zomb
      Zomb commented
      Editing a comment
      Rambling is good! Lots of stuff I didn't take into consideration so thanks.
      I'm gonna have about 2 feet of extra panda film on the bottom which I thought about laying something heavy across the bottom to try to hold a tighter seal. But that still wouldn't be air tight as compared to a tent. I've read that having a completely filtered intake, as simple as a sponge material can help deter pests. Will be doing a DWC grow.
      I'll be lining the walls in mylar for some reflection!
      My square footage is around 330 roughly and my exhaust fan is rated 390 cfm. Carbon filter, and maybe 10 - 13 feet of vent hose. All 6". Going into the attic and out the attic vent. My idea anyways. Any thoughts? Winters are very mild. I'm in the desert.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Zomb, welcome to the forum and I can't wait to see pictures of your grow space!!

Really good considerations from you, Rosetta!!!

• Zomb
      Zomb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks alltatup

good Morning Zomb good advise from Rosetta I built a new room last summer and I did my best to make it air tight but that was because I wanted to use co2 if you are pulling air in its not going to hurt anything .but this might make your life a little easier why not buy a tent the same size as you closet and put it in there. then you won.t have to damage the house
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great advice OJH.

• Zomb
      Zomb commented
      Editing a comment
      A tent is what I originally planned to get but with the odd shape of the closet, I'd have to actually do more damage to the room to fit a tent. Atleast one within out budget. The prices of tents in our budget on Amazon were fine but the square shapes wouldn't work. Plus the extra height to work with will be nice.

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Zomb the tents come with a tray like thing that goes on floor and keeps water from spilling onto the floor maybe that would help, they are water proof they reflect and they have 3 or 4 inch lip around it just an idea

I built a new stealth grow room for this grow too. For fresh air intake I simply used the cavity between the studs of the wall for duct and eliminate light penetration. Since I built the wall I painted the wall cavity flat black but that may be overkill. I cut one hole high on the wall (6"X14") that can be seen and covered it with a standard HVAC grille. If anyone asks, it just the return air for the house HVAC system. I cut another hole in the wall inside the grow space near the floor. Seems to work pretty well and not difficult. Good luck!
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Comment

• Zomb
      Zomb commented
      Editing a comment
      I may be confused with a different company, but I could have sworn AT&T had told me they would never show up unannounced.
      Once had some crooks running around town claiming to work for them and later ripping the home owners off. After hearing of this, I never let anyone in unless I'm contacted by that company prior from a verified number.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      They left a note on the door a week earlier they were coming, but I threw the note away,but it was alot of them all over the neighborhood, and it was cable optic stuff wtf, that is.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Prolly tryin to switch everyone to cable optic... at&t claims it makes everything faster n more reliable. I hate at&t where I live...

Building has commenced!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      yay, Zomb!! I can't wait to see it!!!

Had to come up with a new way to hang my hang my lights. Original plan was to use a tension rod but that was a lot weaker than I had imagined. Ended up using a wooden closet rod and it's holding them up with ease. Ventilation and electrical tomorrow! Merry Christmas to all

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy building, get it like you want it, an it will be there, Merry Christmas Zomb

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      If you build it, they will grow!!!

Zomb have a great time building your room I know I did ,I sent you a message . I had not seen this thread or I would of put it here
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Just waiting on a plenum box I ordered. The seals on the air cooled hoods were ruined after sliding the glass out. Adding this plenum box will ensure the neighbors don't get a wiff of the crop. Other than that, I'm all set.

Comment

Well.......get to growin then haha
        "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
        5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
        600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
        Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
        400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
        ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
        13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• Zomb
          Zomb commented
          Editing a comment
          Forgot to add my seeds are still 2 weeks out at the latest. I'm anxious to get started for sure!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X