This is what PH problems look like !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what PH problems look like !

So, I didnt realize some composted soil a friend made out of chicken manure,food scraps, leaves and some pine needles had lime in them also. When I heard oak leaves and pine needles I figured I better add a handful of lime. It didnt look like enough for 15 gallons of soil so I threw in a smaller second handful . The problems started the 5th of 6th week of growth (8 weeks old now). First 4 weeks or so plants were too small for runnoff ( autos planted in peat pots directly into 7 gallon pots) but on checking soil runnoff in week 5 I got a reading of 7.8. I flushed immediately with about 15 gallons of water (2, 7 gallon pots) and got PH down to about 7.4. I flushed the next two weeks in a row and still have only been able to get the PH down to 7.2. Not really much effect on the plants till this week. I think the two are finally fed up, ha.Its really slowed the growth. Anyway hoping I can get the PH down a little more when I flush this week and make it 4 more weeks to harvest. Hope this helps someone identify PH problems in the future. Classic symptoms. It also looks a little like light burn but its not. 2x Platinum 150 and a x 300 Watt LED light were 20 inches or more away the whole time. They were moved to 24 inches when I first noticed a problem. Light burn wouldnt be so concentrated in spots. It would be all over the leaves and mostly on the top nearest the lights.
    Last edited by Dutchman1; 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM.

Sorry to hear, Dutchman.I hope you can get a handle on it soon.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      May I suggest next water Ph down to 5.3 or even 5.0 and push the first 2.5gal or so till runoff happens, start checking ph and push a gallon or so more
      depending on how fast it's climbing. You can also adjust your second half depending on your target PH.
      I just had this problem the other Direction (4.0ph) and I haul water in and out too

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Dutchman. I stand by what I'm say from experience.
      I Stop checking ph for a couple of watering and all of a sudden in the 5third week fof flowering I was at 4.0-5.0. I pushed "8" gallon @ 6.3 ph and only raised.2 -.4, like I said I carry 28 gal. In and out per 3 watering and was not going to carry 32 gallon per plant multipled by 4 plants (128gallons in and out) over the next two or more weeks so I push in a 5 gallon pot PH 8.0-8.5 in 2 gallons and first runoff hit 6.ph. I did the rest of the plant that way and it was done, saved a lot of wasted water and time.
      I'm only repeating myself here because I was desperate and need a now fix for a extreme problem if you need a NOW solution I stand by what I have said with experience to back it up. If you have the time flushing at 6.ph will get you there after a couple more weeks or so.
      Don't give up and good luck.

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I need a " now " fix as you say Mr Furley. I think ill try it. I cant keep drowning the plant with 10-15 gallons of water every week anyway. The plant is having so much trouble right now it cant hurt much more. Ill let you know how it turns out. Cant water till tomorrow or Thursday.

Hello Dutch1, I sure hate that, that's lock-out city right there, she can't get the goods, at least you got it going your way. Nice plant too ,I sure hope you get her straightened out.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dutch1, you'll get her straightened out, hell, man shes to close now, your still gonna get some nice bud.

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words man.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your welcome, what your doing is gonna get em where they can eat them groceries again,it want take long, if I had to go upstairs like your doing, totten water , I'd have to hire me a couple of these kids in my neighborhood. That's 40 pounds a bucket.
      It would be well worth it though ,when them buds get ripe.

Hope they get to harvest for you, thanks for sharing the pics
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Somebody suggested Ph 5... Let me say nooooooooooo! 6. Best thing to flush with is bottled water. It's naturally Ph 5.8 but that's ok. If you ph your own water 6-

Comment

• LaughingBuddha
      LaughingBuddha commented
      Editing a comment
      Just tested three brands of water...all Ph 5.8 sorry crystal geyser was 6.5, still fine

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      What 3 brands did you check? Most all I've checked were well over 7.0 because that's where they are supposed to be high for your health,

• LaughingBuddha
      LaughingBuddha commented
      Editing a comment
      Crystal geyser and two generic brands. Bottled water is usually sight acidic.

Sorry about that, Dutchman!! I've experienced a little nute lockout in hydro, but this gives me more insight into soil growing. Harvest might be a bit smaller, but I hope you still get great bud.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Its humbling, you think you know what your doing and then.....

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's humbling to learn from our mistakes, but we don't repeat that mistake again!!

Morning Dutchman last time I flushed I flushed until my run off ph was where I wanted it I have found that if my soil ph is high that I will use something like flora clean first then flush, it doesn't take as much water to finish the flush..

I also fill 5 gallon buckets but I have a cellar door to toss it outside. two summers ago we had a brook dry up on us and we had to carry 30 gallons of water up a hill 6 tenths of a mile, we did this twice then I asked a buddy with a 4 wheeler to trailer it up the hill(much much easier lol)
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks OJH, I might just try that floraclean. Im getting desperate. One flush a week for three weeks and the PH is still high. About 30-40 gallons of water so far. I cant understand why it hasnt all been flushed out unless he used ag lime.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Just hang in there, Dutchman.

So I followed Mr Furleys and OJH's recommendations. I flushed with floraclean at PH 5.1-5.3 . It was at a point where the plants were dieing and it was no loss trying. I have to say it was pretty successful. I had put 30 gallons or so through one plant over 3 weeks and it had little effect. Once I did what was recommended they started to come back within a few days. They actually have some new growth on both plants and will easily make it to harvest. ( did I just jinx myself)?). Many Thanks to My Furley and OJH. Ill post pics tomorrow.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Go, babies, go!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great comeback story DM, So stoked that you got her back under control. A bit sad a first, but this is a great tutorial for the rest of us who have yet to deal with that type of soil issue. Soil is awesome for buffering and way less maintenance when compared to coco, however when things go south, not an overly easy fix, yet you have shown the group that it can be done.. GREAT JOB..
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
    ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow thanks alot for the kind words Socks but I have to admit I was ready to throw in the towel on this grow. I was just so disgusted after many "easy" grows in a row. I got cocky and thought I knew it all., lol. Thanks to Mr Furley and OJH for there suggestions. The PH is still around 7 after just running 7 gallons thru each plant again today but there is new growth as evidenced by theses pics below. Two to three weeks to harvest.

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dutch, had to laugh at your "knew it all" comment because I went through the same lesson on my last grow! I guess we all have at some point but looks like you are on the road to recovery!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Dutchman, this brings to mind my second grow last year. I got the worst case of root rot imaginable: my plants totally stalled, I thought I was gonna have to junk the entire grow, and everyone on here told me to keep fighting and not give up. Ultimately I learned more than I ever wanted to learn about root rot, the plants survived although they were stunted in their growth, but the bud turned out good. Cannabis loves humans, and it's so generous to us...

• Sockfilter
      Sockfilter commented
      Editing a comment
      A little rough around the edges..lol.. However a great save, even though it sucks when we make mistakes, all is not lost as that is when we REALLY LEARN by pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone. You didnt give up on her and she didnt give up on you.. I am sure she will give you finest meds she can muster and likewise I am sure you will be grateful despite the nerve racking learning curve..

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Dutchman, Great save! Glad your back.

Hey Ducthman good save I just reread the thread again , and it made me think about Lime I add lime to my soil mix I use for out door grows, I think that practice stops today lol.
    Also I wish I had taken a picture of it but I had a auto that was a runt got to about 5 inches tall went into bloom and grew one very small bud ,it was on my patio I think I got a joint out of it real harsh lol
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Sockfilter
      Sockfilter commented
      Editing a comment
      DM1, "three stooges", nuk, nuk. nuk, wise guy eh? Don't get me started on the Little Rascals...lol..

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      On my gosh , the little rascals, don't get me going, loved that show when I was a little kid! My parents would alternate between not letting us watch the three stooges because with two older brothers we would all mimic the stooges and hurt each other. My parents would ban us but we'd whine so much they would relent till the next incident, lol.

• Sockfilter
      Sockfilter commented
      Editing a comment
      The good ole days when all seemed RIGHT with the world and all that mattered was school/food/fun (not in that order)...lol

Where Im at . Not happy with yield but for all the problems ive had ill take it. Im expecting a couple of OZ from this one plant. One more week to harvest.
    Last edited by Dutchman1; 12-13-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Very nice DM1, you did well even with all the issues, I love that style of training, I train to try and get about 1ft of horizontal branch growth then let the tips go vertical for stretch in flower 12/12. Lots of air space for the buds to build up.

I have mine on final flush now for a couple more days and much like you, I hit some learning curve issues with my coco and proper pH, however recovered and her clone babies are kicking ass, just wish I knew the genetics..lol

Great Job DM1..

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
      ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

Sorry to hear that !!
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
        12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X