FF Bat Guano
    Molasses
    GroTek Monster Grow and Bloom
    Cal-mag

Fan
    desk fan with front guard removed
    2 wired pc case fans as intake

Hello All,
    My first day and first post on the forum. I have learned a lot from GWE and wanted to contribute. I am a beginner and thought maybe other people could learn from my mistakes. These popped at the end of September. The seeds were started in yogurt containers and transplanted to the fabric pots after 2 weeks. The smaller plant was topped at 3 weeks and the larger was fimmed. Why did I do it this way? There was no reason behind it other than comparing. However there are reasons for the size difference other than the pot size. I traumatized the smaller plant when transplanting, the soil was very dry and furthermore, the final pot did not have as much soil as it could have held. The smaller plant is sitting on an egg carton to level the canopy of both plants.

Vegging
    I vegged with the Mars 300 and also the T5. The T5 was on a seperate timer because I have had heat problems in my box previous to adding the stacked computer fans. Also, to try to keep temps low, I had the LED unit off for one 30 minute period in the middle of the 18/6 cycle. I know this might seem strange but it makes sense to me. During this time I made sure the T5 came on but even if I didn't the benefit of a cooler box temp outweighed the stress it might cause. Length from popped to switch light cycle was about 7 weeks total. I really wanted the smaller plant to somehow catch up to the larger one. As I thought it was only a few days behind in growth but it never happened. In comparison to the past, I eased up watering. In the past plants, I would water almost every other day. With the extra ventilation these plants look happy 2-3 waterings a week rather than 3-4. I only watered with Grotek nutes twice during this period, and used bio bizz sparingly, I was quite liberal with cal-mag and molasses though.

Flowering

This is the beginning of the third week of 12/12 for the plants. They stretched more than I anticipated so this is a good example of one of my mistakes. Firstly, the space is very small, 10 inches deep and about 2 feet wide. I wanted to try maximizing the space as a wide and not-so deep space I thought having two plants wouldn't hurt. I figured I could dump one worst case scenario. If I were to do this again I would use two containers of the same size - likely two 2 gallon pots. There are branches that are stretching to the sides and are almost undergrowth but I think they will be worth keeping. So really, the space is overcrowded. My powerbar is squished in the corner and plants were growing really close to the desk fan before today. Leaves were about 2 cm from getting clipped.

Thank you for reading this far! I am looking forward to comments or criticisms of what I am doing just happy to be part of this all.

Cheers!
    QB
    Last edited by quietlybinary; 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM.

Subbed! And welcome!
    My first grow

Comment

Same as above ,they look fine to me, but MJ always looks fine to me.
      Nice job QB.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Subscribed ! But ive always been a sucker for intelligent, well structured writing. Bravo on several fronts quietlybinary !!!
        Organic only soil grower
        Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
        Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Welcome to the forum ......well presented dude....im subbed
          Last edited by Vapo69; 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: Too many "dudes"
          The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

Happy Wednesday,
            I hope everyone's week is going well. I took some time to relax and dabble with the DSLR this evening, I usually only use it for special occasions. These photos are more for pleasure than to show any progress It was only since my last post that I reincorporated the T5 since the beginning of flowering and I can tell the difference. like the option of having the light coming from the side and hitting some of the areas that would be shaded otherwise. My friend asked about how flowers actually grow and it was hard for me to answer. I actually answered them wrong. In the past the early stages of flowering moves so fast and is hard for me to describe. As I look at the photos it is strange how they got to this stage. The correct answer would have been 'magically'.
            Thank you Aloner , D.A.A.S.69 , Canyon Grower and Vapo69 for being welcoming and for subscribing! Hope everyone out there is able to find a moment to decompress and reflect today.
            Warm Regards,
            QB
            Last edited by quietlybinary; 11-22-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Aloner
              Aloner commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice plants, nice pics!

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              The unexpected benefit of growing plants that are taller than you initially intended is you often get bigger yields from bigger plants Buds appear to be developing very nicely!

Coming along nicely QB
            The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

QB - gotta like those initials - plants look very nice.
              And they grow by the process of photosynthesize. They flower cuz they want to look the best around to attract the male pollen. Their terpenes (gland that produces the odor) also work to attract and to detract pests.
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Evening QB, man you are doing a great job, keep up the good work, and you will be rewarded nicely. They look fine.
                Happy Thanksgiving my friend.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

Great write up QB very detailed , I think I write like that then I reread it and wonder what the hell I meant lol welcome to the forum
                  new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                  current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Lovely plants indeed. Nice training. Are you thinking of defoliating at some point? Looks like you could lose a few larger fan leaves. Again, thanks for the thoughtful posts QB.
                    Organic only soil grower
                    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

• quietlybinary
                      quietlybinary commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for the suggestion Canyon. I have never defoliated in the past and just let the plant take its course until harvest time. Can you please offer me some pointers? I am just starting week 4 of 12/12 right now. The smaller plant is looking a little lighter in comparison to the bigger one and its development is also slower.
                      Edit: I just put my hand in the plants and many of the lower leaves looked healthy but they fell off with the touch. I cleared most of the leaves that were halfway and lower between the soils and canopy! I am refraining from posting pictures too often and I will post an update closer to the weekend Thanks Canyon!
                      Last edited by quietlybinary; 11-28-2017, 08:47 PM.

Hey QB, the Grow Weed Easy site (link above under the HOME tab) has an excellent tutorial on defoliation. Its a technique to increase yields by removing lower growth and large fan leaves. It can be overdone so easy does it.
                    Organic only soil grower

Comment

quietlybinary Here is a link to what I mention above.

by Nebula Haze Introduction to Bud-Based Defoliation What is cannabis defoliation, and why/how does removing leaves from a cannabis plant increase yields?
                      Organic only soil grower

Comment

Hello Everybody,
                        Thank you for the kind words and encouragement with this grow. It feels like a positive change to be doing something privately and then connecting with people to follow along with it. Thank you Canyon Grower for the suggestion of defoliating. You also caught it just in time to be in line with the schedule outlined on the GWE tutorial by NebulaHaze .
                        Earlier in the week I was curious as to why my plant in the smaller pot had larger spaces between the nodes. I thought perhaps it was lacking something which was making the foliage more sparse. But, then I remembered that I had removed the egg carton that was holding it closer to the light and as a result the plant stretched quite a bit. I removed the riser shortly after I posted for the first time. In comparison, after defoliating both plants, the leaf to light ration when looking into the plant looks more similar.
                        One point that I wanted to include is for newer growers who have multiple sized pots in their hutch: My two pots are only a gallon apart, 2 and 3 gallon pots. I have been trying to simplify things and watering both at the same time, but the smaller pot dries out and starts to limp about a whole day before the larger plant will start to show signs of dehydration. I actually thought that this may have been one of the reasons for the differences but probably not. If I wanted to run a tight ship I would have a schedule (watering and feeding) for both plants. As I enter the last 4 to 5 weeks of flowering I may consider it so that there is a bit less stress toward the end.
                        Here are some photos I took with my tablet this morning with the LED turned off. This is approaching the end of week 4 of 12/12. Some frost is forming on the larger plant which makes me happy and I expect the smaller plant to show some of the same development in 4-5 days.
                        I hope everyone is having a great week!
                        Yours,
                        QB

Comment

Looking real nice QB. Good to hear a newbie letting their soil dry out before watering, in the long run your plant will reward you for it.
                          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                          Mars Hydro
                          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X