Water pools on top of soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pools on top of soil

Just started latest grow and haven't had this issue before. Growing some autos this time so I planted seeds in final container with FFOF soil. When I water, the water pools on top of soil and takes a long time to absorb. The seedlings are just a couple of days old so I am using very little water but trying to correct issue before I need to soak entire container. I have read to put a couple of drops of dishwashers soap in water to help break surface tension but worry about fragrances and other additives harming the little ones. Anybody got some other suggestions?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

I agree with you PuravidaC, 100 percent, that's one reason I quit using FFOF, the other reason is the last 2 big sacks of it I bought the PH of both sacks was 5.0 or lower. People think it's to hot for seedlings but the PH is so low no wonder you can't get a seedling to grow very well in it. I'm not saying its all bad i don't know that, just saying mine was.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Dude I cannot think of a reason this is happening..........maybe you packed it in too tight?....but don't add any dishwasher products dude
      The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

I was going to check soil PH before planting but guy at hydro store assured me Fox Farm ph was neutral. Gonna have to check it soon! Also, growing in fabric pots this time so I guess I can soak pots in neutral ph water to break surface tension of soil and hopefully balance PH. First time growing autos and everything I've read says they need to grow stress free from the beginning due to their short grow time.
        DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
        315 LEC
        6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
        6" Carbon filter
        3- 6" fans
        humidifier
        temp and humidity gauge
        5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
        FF trio nutrients

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I was told to it was neutral, I might have got a bad batch, I don't know.
          You might want to get a little lime, just in case, anyway good luck with it.
          You will do great with the autos, they are pretty hardy, an tough, and fun to grow.

Dish washing liquid works. Also works for killing lawn beetle haha. If only young id not be too stressed about smell. I have used that method on normal lawns thst have bad drainage. Esentually its a wettasoil agent like spray on wettasoil would work as well though ive never tested on mull plants
        Current grow

4x bubbas gift
        4gal fabric pots..
        coca using nutrafield coca a/b and go green.
        600w how in 1x1x2m tent. 150mm grofan extraction

Comment

I had an issue where the soil wouldn't take any water and it was a solid mass. I ended up using yucca supplement and after a day or two watering the soil started holding water and softening up alot.
          1.5x3x5 virtual sun grow tent
          Oppolite 315 LEC
          4" 190 cft. Exhaust with carbon filter.
          1 candy kush express using general hydroponics and botanicare
          1 candy kush express using advanced nutriants iguana line.

Both will be using hydrogaurd and botanicare sweet.

Comment

hey Pura I just watered my baby autos and water pooled up a little ,we are only giving them a little water at a time ,the water does not weigh enough to break the surface tension so it does take a little longer to be absorbed ,
            quite often a plant that drys out won't take alot of water the first time that you water it(IE hanging flower baskets if dried out the water runs right though the pot the first time you water with the hose but when you go back it will take alot of water) thats what I thought was going on when I watered my autos.
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              What soil are you using this grow?

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm just using soil I dug up next to the Ms.River, it's rich Delta soil. And my FFOF always puddles up on top, even till harvest, the soil I'm using now doesn't puddle up at all. Did you check your ph runoff? ?
              Using that little water it's not supposed to puddle up like that, it's supposed to run right thru.
              Good Luck PuravidaC

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Got too anxious to start grow with new LEC light and did not saturate entire pot to check PH run off before planting. Was planning to but had to take a short break from growing because of planned trip out of town. That's been my one draw back of growing... planning grows around out of town trips! Hoping that won't be an issue as I am growing autos this time and everything I have read is they need optimal conditions throughout grow because their lifespan is too short to make a full recovery from difiencies.

I use sunshine mix #4 it seems to work very well wets good and drains good with no or very little pooling for maybe half a minute
            4'x 6' x 8' room
            2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
            sunshine mix #4
            mega crop nutes
            current grow
            cd-1
            jack herer
            afghan kush
            green doctor

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've always heard that was good stuff, never tried it, but will one day.

Try taking a chop stick or pencil and braking up the soil by inserting to the bottom of pot all around the plant it worked for me. Lol

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Will give that a try too. I didn't compact FFOF much at all when filling pot but with the surface tension on top and fabric pots I worry there will be a dry ball of soil in middle of pots.

As long as you water till it drains, you'll be fine. I get the same crust on top, grab a 3 in 1 moisture, light & ph meter. They are about $10 at your local hardware store.

angle it to the base of your roots. It'll let you know.
            general rule with the crust, let it soak, water till drain.
            Last edited by Euroaznscotty; 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Poked some holes around seedling when I watered this morning and soil absorbed water fine. This is my first grow with fabric pots and the guy at hydro store said they will leak like crazy out the sides when watering. Just gonna have to get used to fabric pots. Everyone that has used them raves about them!

U should try a full watering , the dry stuff will take away the water from the plant. I’ve even dunked the whole s.p. in phed water to make sure there are no dry spots. Overkill maybe but it worked. Lol

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Seedlings will be 1 week old tomorrow. Not saturating entire pot yet but will be soon. If saturation is still an issue that is what I plan to do!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X