Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need Tips for making cannabis infused coconut oil !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need Tips for making cannabis infused coconut oil !!

Hi guys ,

Im hoping i can maby get some help from some of you on this site (I know this is a growing site but i thought its still worth a try)....So i've been super keen to make cannabis infused coconut oil ever since my buddy gave me some to try. Gotta be pretty easy right? So after a bit of online searching I did some experiments....

Experiment#1:
    Well i put about 30ml of coconut oil into a cup, and added about 3g of cannabis bud in (which i had decarbed for 30min at 100 deg Celsius). I let this sit in the oven for 45min at 110 deg Celsius, then let it cool, and then once more let it sit for 45min at 110 deg Celsius. The end product was very weak and definitely not as strong as i had expected..It didn't even do much when I had a full teaspoon of it.

Experiment#2:
    This time I did the exact same as last time, adding 30ml of coconut oil and 3g of decarbed cannabis bud. Except this time i added a pinch of soy lecithin (Which i was told will make it stronger), and i left the mix in the oven at 120 deg Celsius for about 7 hours. This experiment worked way better and half a worked fairly well.

But both these experiments weren't nearly as strong as what i am looking for. So i have these questions that i hope someone could maby answer:

1. What is the best temperature to make oil at? I've been told 180 deg Celsius by some, and 100 deg by others...

2. How long should the oil be in the oven for to become the most potent?

3. Is there a maximum ratio of cannabis-to-oil? My next batch I make, I want to make 1g of bud for every 10ml of oil.

4. Is it really worth adding soy lecithin???

It would be really great if some of you could help me out. I really want to get this oil thing right and make something that really works well, and do you guys have any other tips maby?

Thanks!

Hi zerxeys, and welcome to the forum!!! I am very interested in the same issues. I ordered a decarb machine that should be here at the end of the month, and I am looking forward to making medicine. So I don't have any experience yet. My goal is to use minimal heat to prepare the medicine so that the terpenes remain intact--which is why I bought the decarb machine.

Here is one method I plan to try: https://www.growforagecookferment.co...d-infused-oil/

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by alltatup; 10-18-2017, 03:43 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      What advantage does the machine have over a digitally controlled oven? Thanks in advance for your elucidation.

• zerxeys
      zerxeys commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting method, i never actually considered extraction without heating the mixture in an over...

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      starramus zerxeys There is a lot of temperature fluctuation in an oven; I personally believe that this will be a much more precise method of preserving the terpenes. Which is exactly why I purchased it.

Of course, once the weed is decarbed, the THC is active and you don't need any more heat!!

1 good way to make it is, decarb at 100for 30mins then take dry ice and ur cannabis and shake softy for about 15-20mins till all the crystals are frozen off the buds then add the keif to ur coconut oil. If u want pure clearity then simmer ur infused oil for about 30mins (without boiling) then strain thro a coffee filter or pillow case.

Comment

I have not made edible coconut oil but I've made edible Butters and I'll suggest a couple things
      1) try making a bigger batch, excuse my conversions I use 28g+ to 2 cups of butter. Maybe up your cannabis amount a little.
      2) break you buds up really good before decarboxylation, I use a coffee bean grinder, the more exposed surface the faster/better that decarboxylation happens.
      3) for edibles I decarb @ 220F for 2 hrs.
      4) simmer in a pot on the stove (not in the oven)stirring occasionally at 180F degrees for a half hour to an hour. Do not let it boil.
      maybe this will help, maybe not. good luck though.

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Hi all. So made my first batch off coconut oil this weekend. Basically same process . Mine is pokent shit. Have made rso previously couple different ways . It seems to help my pain but not u o high. So ultimately that's what I'm after for meds. I'll just smoke for the other. Today's the first day I've done the coconut oil I put a teaspoon in my coffee at 6 this morning. Didn't smoke this morning so started feeling real good by 7 and still do. Good for pain and pretty high too.

Comment

I just use a rice cooker to make my oil. I measure out 250ml of oil and add 30g of clean flower. I use a potato masher to crush the flower into the oil and let the cooker heat it-the unit I have peaks at 250degF and then cycles back down to 170. I usually let this steep/cook for an hour, using the masher to expose all of the flower to the oil. After it cools I strain the oil and then place it in OO caps. Been doing this way for a couple of years now-it's my pain med.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            What strain/strains do you use, please?

I personally use the following recipe and it works great for me.

1/2 Cup Virgin Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
          1 1/2 teaspoon of Soy Lecithin
          7g of flower
          Size 00 Vegan Caps

Take Coconut Oil and Soy Lecithin and melt inside of a Quart sized crockpot using the warm or low setting.

While oil melts decarb the flower for 30 minutes at 225°F in the oven.

Add the decarbed flower to the oil and stir.

Continue to cook on warm setting for 4 hours stirrong every 30 minutes.

After 4 hours strain through cheesecloth and inject into capsules.

My local lab tested my pills at 750mg per 1g pill. I take 2 for about 6-8 hours worth of medication. I dont feel my pain as bad but I am definitely feeling better throughout the day.
          My Last Grows:
          1. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-forest-28-1g

2. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...s-platinum-gsc

My Current Grow:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/member/2395-alphaphoenix

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            What is your strain, please?

I've looked and looked but no answer to this:

Why coconut oil?

Why extra virgin coconut oil?

I haven't found any such magical substance in the local supermarkets. Wouldn't any vegetable oil do the same thing? Isn't the oil merely a vehicle and of no medicinal significance?

Also, can't the finished oil produced be stored in, say, a plastic squeeze bottle without the hassle of those capsules? Is there some storage problem with that?

Thanks for any thoughtful answers!
          First-time California outdoor medical backyard grower -- Aurora Indica Feminized plants in soil.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I personally wouldn't store in plastic; glass is gonna be much cleaner. If you put it in capsules in the fridge, you'll preserve maximum freshness.

Here's the answer to your questions about coconut oil: https://herb.co/2016/10/19/cannabis-...d-coconut-oil/

If you can't find it in the grocery store (WalMart grocery store carries organic cold-pressed unrefind coconut oil), try the local health food store.

I suggest you go here

BadKat's, BadKats, BadKittySmiles, CannaPharm, Cannabis, Edibles, Medibles, RSO, Summit, Tears, World, canna, hemp, oils, tinctures

Ive made her caps and oils.Hardweb to look at but she knows her oils.
          Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
          Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
          GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
          photoperiod feminized seeds
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that link, Tika!!

• zerxeys
            zerxeys commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, this site really helped!

extra virgin doesnt solidify..what do you want to make? caps? chocolate?
          And Soy OR Safflower Lecithin is very important to add. If soy allergic use sunflower.
          Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
          Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
          GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
          photoperiod feminized seeds
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Originally posted by Tika View Post
            extra virgin doesnt solidify.
            But...canola doesn't solidify under refrigeration, either, nor do most mundane food oils. There must be more to it than that.

what do you want to make? caps? chocolate?
            Just dispensable oil, "ten drops in a cup of cocoa" sort of application. Those caps look like a mess and a nuisance to try to get together (even without the cat's persistent attempts at "helping") and I don't see their necessity if all we're trying to do is get the stuff in me.

The object here is just to get the stuff rendered, stored and eventually into the animal with the most efficiency and least fuss and expense. This is not intended as a culinary, aesthetic or spiritual experience. I'm just a horrible old man who wants to get a decent night's sleep uninterrupted by chronic pain. This seems a modest goal.

And Soy OR Safflower Lecithin is very important to add. If soy allergic use sunflower.
            I'll have to find out about that part. I encountered references to that elsewhere, but no explanation.

I'm still trying to decide if butter or oil is the most efficient way to process my harvest.

Thanks for your input!
            First-time California outdoor medical backyard grower -- Aurora Indica Feminized plants in soil.

Comment

• Tika
              Tika commented
              Editing a comment
              Well...how about tincture? Much longer shelf life, sublingual or edible as in tea or coco.
              ?
              I understand your frustration. Been there.
              There is a coconut oil that does not solidify ( fractionated?) helthfood stores. The main issue is decarbing your plant material first and then as with Alcohol ( Bacardi 151 or Everclear 190 proof) you have to steep it and shake it and then strain it...I steep in Everclear for at least 11 days. With alcohol I put the bottle in the freezer, de arb the cannabis and then put it in the freezer too. Then combine. Shake the shit out of it at first-5 minutes then shake it every time I’m in the kitchen.i presume cool dark brown bottle place would work for oil.

Why coconut oil?
            In my opinion mostly personal preference, there are salts and other flavor additives in most oils that make them non usable for some people. Coconut oil is simply the one that has the least flavor added. Therefore easier to use for other things as well. Plus for those with gluten free or vegan diets its within their dietary restrictions.

Ive tried using vegetable oil and it tends to seperate when refrigerated.

Why capsules?
            Again ease of use for dosing. You very well can use it in dispenser form like I have it in 3 forms.
            1. Capsules for morning or before work
            2. Eye dropper and small glass vial to carry in
            3. Small cubed form for using as a topical ointment

Lastly why lecithin?
            Lecithin is very commonly used as a dietary supplement that help the body in absorbing vitamins more easily and quickly. By adding it to the oil it cuts down on how long it takes the body to take effect and also can increase strength and duration of effects. But everybody's body is different so results WILL vary.

600m I hope that helps out some. Ive been using the oil like this for about a year now so I can always comment on my experiences.
            My Last Grows:
            1. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-forest-28-1g

2. http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...s-platinum-gsc

My Current Grow:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/member/2395-alphaphoenix

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, you were all a massive help! I decided after checking some of the links to go with 1g for every 5ml of oil, and of course some soy lecithin @ 120 degrees for 6 hours. Did it this morning, and after straining the bud out I licked my fingers (covered in some oil) and one and a half hours later i was really high and talking complete rubbish to my room mate Definitely a very encouraging sign, and my first truly successful attempt!!

Comment

• AlphaPhoenix
                AlphaPhoenix commented
                Editing a comment
                Yay Always good to hear posotive news

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                zerxeys It's always good to talk rubbish to a room mate!! ;-} I'm sure it was deep rubbish.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X