extreme variation in strain phenotypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extreme variation in strain phenotypes

Having in the past only grown one plant of a strain this year I grew more than one. I noticed the extreme variation that can occur. As an example the photo is of two plants from Blueberry seeds. It seems that one plant takes after the Afghani side of its parentage while the other after the Thai and Purple Thai side of the family. These were seeds from not a premium breeder. However I saw variation between two Nirvana Aurora Indicas, and two Master Kush plants. I guess every plant has its own personality. Doing a little further research I discovered this individuals study of ten Master Kush plants. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=74849 What diversity in the multicultural world of cannabis!

Both very nice plants

Comment

Although I've only got a few seasons behind me, I have experienced having identical strains producing multiple phenotypes. I had a Money Maker(one of 5 girls) that exhibited a very Sativa dominant trait and she grew into a monster. Even the really serious breeders admit that it's almost impossible to produce a dead bang sure thing every time so Forrest was right-ya never know what you're going to get....
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Life IS like a cannabis cultivation!!!!

• Doubledealing72
        Doubledealing72 commented
        Editing a comment
        And from that moment on...wherever I was going....I was SMOKING!

Phenotype expression is the ability to present multiple genetic expressions based on environmental influence. This is for the same reason why feminized plants can go hermie, although the plant is still technically female but presents male genetic components.
      Two plants with different phenotypic expressions have the exact same DNA and if you take clones from each or make feminized seeds, the DNA goes unchanged. Only through sexual reproduction does the reordering of chromosomes take place.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X