Decarb CBD plants: Turning CBDA into CBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarb CBD plants: Turning CBDA into CBC

I have a CBD Chronic and a Harlequin plant that has just been harvested. The primary use of these plants are to make healing salves. I have had 100% success decarbing THC-A to THC by baking at 240F for 60 minutes. This has been confirmed a number of times through SC Lab tests. I have never decarbed CBD though. To reduce waste, does anyone have experience decarbing CBD plants? I am looking for complete decarb of the THC-A and CBD-A. For the THC decarb process I have been following the work written in the article "Decarboxylating Cannabis: Turning THCA into THC" by Rambo, August 14, 2012. (Sorry, I meant CBD in the Post title, not CBC, but cant fix it now)
    Last edited by kingkola1; 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM.

Have no experience but am about ready to try to make some salve for arthritis. If u don't mind me askin what are u using it for and what's ur process. Thnx

Comment

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      hey red beard get and try some nettle make a tea with it and drink a couple of cups a day it has been proven to reduce arthritis meds by half in europe so even if you are not on meds it will help

Oh good question.

I have a Candida, high CBD strain, going for next grow, this would be very helpful information.
    The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
    Water Curing Experiment
    My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

What makes you think you are not removing the carboxyl group, the two main properties that does so is time and heat. CBD is at a much lower concentration compared to THC.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

I am certain about the carboxyl group DrPhoton based on test analysis of my oils with SCLabs.

Comment

I found these articles but have no actual experience with cbd plants:

Decarboxylation 101 Guide: Why decarboxylation of marijuana matters, what happens during CBD and THC decarboxylation, as well as effective decarb methods.

From the last link: "

Different cannabinoids require slightly different temperatures and heating times (CBD, for instance, requires a slightly higher temperature and longer decarb time than THC). There are also various opinions on what decarboxylation temperature is best. This is a general guide for decarboxylating flower, kief, or oil. Achieving the best results will depend on experimenting with various materials, times, and temperatures.

Keep in mind that taking the temperature above 300 degrees F will begin to destroy cannabinoids, as well as the terpenes that give marijuana strains their signature scents and flavors."

Comment

If you are using a standard house hold oven to decarb., temperature fluctuates heavily. I believe in some cases +\- 15F. That’s a huge differential with a large variability in this process. How do you plan to control temp flux?
            4x4 600w HID empty for summer
            3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
            2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
            running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I decarb at 225 for 60 minutes. I tried higher temps and I watched the temps in the oven non stop. As Toker says if I set it to 225 it will hit 240 and then drop to 200 then back to 240. If you set it at 240 it will probably hit 260 or higher losing many of the terpenes. Now for salves I dont think this would be an issue but for edibles with you will lose many benefits.

That being said eating raw cannabis will have a much higher success at inflammation. Just look up the research on eating raw cannabis. So for the best of both worlds eat what you defoliate while growing and then decarb the rest.
              You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Find all the answers you need to know about Cannabis, with helpful guides, legal news, recipes and more. Full step-by-step walkthroughs on all tried and tested methods, setup and genetics.

Comment

From my understanding the cbda conversion to CBD happens at 245f-266f for 60 to 90 mins.
                  You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Spidermite
                    Spidermite commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have yet to find a definitive answer after hours of research. Basically what I've found is that CBDA does not decarboxylate at the same temps as THCA. It requires higher temps or longer times but I cant find the answer to that either? Toker1 you are better at research and scientific crap than me. Maybe you can find a definitive answer. But good luck as no one can agree on how to decarboxylate THCA.

The big issue is keeping the terpenes while at the same time decarboxylating the cannaboids.
                    Last edited by Spidermite; 11-06-2019, 05:44 PM.

• Mr.furley
                    Mr.furley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spidermite
                    Boiling points
                    THCA CBG (from cbga)
                    248f
                    Cbda beta-Caryophyllene
                    266f
                    Cbca beta-Sitosterol
                    278f
                    THC beta-pinene
                    311f
                    CBD beta-myrcene, 3 carene
                    342f
                    THC eucalyptol, limonene, beta-Cymene, apigenin
                    351f
                    CBN cannaflavin A
                    365f
                    CBE (degraded CBD) linalool
                    384f
                    Benzene Terpinen-4-ol, borneol
                    401f
                    THCV beta-Terpinen
                    CBC pulegone, quercetin
                    428f
                    Maybe this will help.

• Spidermite
                    Spidermite commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. That does help.

By the way kingkola1 awesome question. Maybe we can find someone with answers.

Comment

Haha. Thanks Spidermite. But I don’t believe I have a single trusted source on this one yet. I can say, I know there is a decarb interaction between heat and time. Meaning less heat for longer time or more heat for lesser time could potentially give the same desired results. There are many variables involved. Like are are we at sea level decarbing or way up in the mountains of Colorado? I suppose a good design of engineering study could produce some benchmark results.
                    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Spidermite
                      Spidermite commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm assuming those studies will be coming as cannabis becomes legal. There are still states that you cant posses hemp. What's ironic is that you can grow it but it is illegal for a person to posses the flower unless they have a permit to grow it. Go figure

Spidermite In the report it says raw cannabis Raw weed to me is wet after cutting or can you use dried buds , how would you keep raw weed
                    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Spidermite
                      Spidermite commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In the study on consuming raw cannabis I assume they refer to any cannabis that has not been cooked, heated, or decarboxylated. Now that being said I think it's only feasible to eat wet un dried cannabis. I do eat the leaves here quiet alot in salads. I will have to find out the answer to that question though. Im.sure you could find a way to grind dried cannabis and add it to things but I have not tried that.

The reading I have done describes JUICING the fresh organic leaves with other things like apple, carrot Ginger and a few others to camouflage the taste... the picture looks appetizing. Also mentions this needs to be done daily for something like 45 days and in most households it is not feasible due to lack of supply

Comment

I just done all my trimmings for the first time and I found this helpful

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X