What kind of dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of dirt

I want to do a soil grow, but there's so many different makers it's kinda confusing, I was leaning toward fox farm but as I research things some say ff dirt is on the hot side, being I'm doing autos I'm kinda concerned with this,, any suggestions??? Thanks

Dirt....... Im on my second grow autos outside in 3 gal. pots. I too did alot of reading on soil, and seeing that all the commercial soil are not in my area, i made my own. I used 40% worm castings, 60% bagged organic soil, 1 cup of dolomite ( sweet lime ) , a medium bag of perilite to lighten the soil, and 3 Tblsp. of soil bacteria ( bio-tone starter plus ). Mixed it up thourghly, gave it a good soaking, filled the pots and let it sit for a week to let the bacteria multiply. Bacteria helps break down the nutrients making it easier for the roots to use. I grow 2 Short stuff #1 they grow 24 inches tall and got 50 grams dry after 77 days. Not bad for a first grow.

Comment

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      This is quite good, making good soil is not always easy.

Thanks everyone,

Comment

I dilute the fox farms soil with one third of perlite and give plain water until flowering. Right now I'm testing 2 little clones around week 5 of flowering without any nutes whatsoever and they look just as good as the other clones I've grown before adding nutes. Same clones obviously. Young seedlings may get a little burnt but if you transplant into solo cups right after germination you can just grab some dirt from outside and dilute half a cup of soil with that dirt. Once they're rooted and growing just transplant into full fox farms soil. I've done this too with great success. Even young seedlings that get burnt get only a few days behind and recover as they grow into vegetative stage. It is a great soil in my opinion

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        By the way there's no dirt at all in those fox farms soils.

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Organics is soil but it may not contain some aspects such as large quantities of silt, clay or sand. Which are large compositions making up soil.

Thanks for all the advise,, nice seeing nice people on here

Comment

I've used the FFOF before and it produced pretty well. I love using the worm castings too. You don't need any nutrients if you put your sprouts directly into the FFOF. The thing with soil is you need to be very careful about adding nutrients cuz if you start to get burn or lockout then Its a big PITA to flush_ if you're using 3-5 gallon pots you have to run 2X as much water through as the size of the pot. So if you go with the FFOF (or similar) then mix that with about 20% worm castings and at least 25% perlite and I'd add about 10% of some other neutral aerator like pumice or grow stones or boiled rice hulls. You want something that holds more air than water so it provides the drainage you need to provide enough oxygen for the roots to be happy. Take 9fingerleafs advise to heart_ don't ad nutrients unless you see signs that they need something more. Just use water with a PH of about 6.5. Your plants may also benefit from using slightly different PH ranges between 5.5-7.0 occasionally because some nutrients are absorbed better at different PH levels. Nebula and Sirius have a good chart that explains that in one of the tutorials. Check it out and get growing!
        Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
        liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

I like KindSoil ,you don't need nutrients or anything but PHed water ,really simple. Plus when you order it , it's here in 2 days ,or 3 max . Good Luck Joe Dirt on whatever kind you choose.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

I havn't done too much reading into soil science, its one aspect i should read into. I do know that soil is made up of silt, clay, sand, water, minerals, organics and air. A soils texture is defined by the ratio of silt, clay and sand. The texture of the soil is important for water retention, drainage, nutrient bonding and air space.
            A soils structure is defined by its texture type but also its environmental characterisitcs. Which affects water drainage, friability and air space characteristics.

The easiest option is probably something like a soilless mix such as coco coir and perlite. Allowing a friable structure and provide good water holding capacity, drainage and air space for root developement to thrive. It however is quite inert and holds practically no nutrient bonding capacity. So constant feeding is required with little room for error.

Adding good textured soil or organics, allows for a buffer so that a plants soil environment contains enough nutrients for longer durations between feedings. It also creates a more healthy ecosystem by providing roots with decomposed byproducts from micro organisims. Plants provide nutrients via their roots for these organisms and organisms feed the roots. Together helping each other in a symbiosis.

Any other type of combination of soil or soilless products, attempt to provide a type of structure, texture and nutrient bonding quality.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

Danofdanger hit it right out of the park. I add dolomite and it keeps my soil at 5,9- 6.0. Im also lucky to have public water from lake Erie that comes to my home at 6.2. I dont have to mess with the water. Last year i emptied the pots and the roots were snow white and tap root 8 in. long

Comment

I agree that's easy 2 , but still KindSoil has already got everything you need but water and that's real easy ,especially if it's your first grow.
                Cfls for a week or two
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

Cant wait to start my first grow with KindSoil. They were really helpful answering any questions, well every thing except about watering....

Comment

Xcardplayer the watering is on you , just use very little to start with , Mr Kind and the folks that work there are very nice and helpful people, and they are proud of their product. You will get used to watering with a little practice. Good Luck DAAS69
                    Cfls for a week or two
                    36x36x63 inch tent.
                    Smart pots
                    Molasses
                    Autoflowers

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
                      Xcardplayer the watering is on you , just use very little to start with , Mr Kind and the folks that work there are very nice and helpful people, and they are proud of their product. You will get used to watering with a little practice. Good Luck DAAS69
                      Yup they were awesome!!!!

Comment

I use Roots Organic Original: I like the results-ease of use and will carry the plant to flower without adding anything. (of course, you can nute it lightly to keep it charged, if you prefer).
                        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X