Death stench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death stench

Mother of Marijuana what have I come home too!!! I enter my grow room after a day of misadventures via errands. So after a long day of to and fro, and a dilapitating day nonetheless in the 100+ degree weather, I come back to a stench like road kill. Immediately, I assumed it was a dead mouse, I live pretty rural. So I then begin to investigate where it's coming from and of course it is in my grow room! I go in and tear the place apart looking for this dead mouse. Not a damn thing. Sweaty, frustrated, looking like a wreck gone HORRIBLY wrong, I finally sit and discouraged give in and open the tent to relax and spend some down time with the girls. The largest plant which is manifolded, thanks to nebula with her amazing skills and tutorials. I pick her pot up to examine, and no more than two inches off the ground and I get the largest waff of death I've ever personally experienced. Hit me, like a brick in the face man. My girl. My beautiful thick stemmed angel smelled like a rotting carcass. Someone, anyone tell me what is going on. PH is normal, nutrients on schedule, light great distance, 3 day watering with pure PhD tap water every other time to keep the coir flushed adequately. Great air movement also! So what gives? Is this normal? I've had stinky girls but this is a pervaded twist on my cannabis experience!
    Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Root rot maybe

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
      SinsemillaScientist commented
      Editing a comment
      I made the same assumption, all white and healthy though, I seriously think her aroma is just a pungent death scent. Although I've seen my fair share of plants, my own included, no girl has given me the gas like this.

When did you last check on her, this morning ,yesterday afternoon ? That's a bitch man ,I feel for you. What does the plant look like or does it stink so bad you can't near it. Never seen them rot that bad overnight.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

I can't tell u what the smell is but I did have one plant from kc brain strains and it Smelt like cat piss but not in a good skunky way it Smelt like ammonia I was hesitant to even smoke it cuz I still smelt it after cureing but other just told me it Smelt grassy idk but I do no tht others have experienced this death/shit/nasty Smell from a plant for no good reason hope other chim in soon

Comment

So I sat down and did a very thorough examination, with magnifiers, and pretty much sat for two hours just investigating, her roots healthy as a hog, leaves beautiful and dense! Coir is perfectly aired, she needs water once every three days, pH was a comfy 5.9, 750watt hps 27in away, temp a nice 78 degrees F, humidity resting at 45%. So with a heavy heart I declare her just a stinking brat.May the odds be ever in my favor? It's going to be a long 7+ weeks, thank you all for input and help, I'm still figuring how to load photographs but I wish I could send you your own waft! This is some Nasty smelling shit!
        Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          SSS, just remember: when you love someone, you love them farts, gas, stench and all.

So you're saying that the "aroma" does not come from her leaves, but from below around the roots? Something's going on down there if this happened suddenly. And you're sure a mouse didn't get into the coir and suffocate?

No Thankyou
        Cfls for a week or two
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

I REEEEEEEALLLY want to know what is causing the "aroma"!!!!!!!!!
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

hello, my name is IGH and im a new grower...

i would hold the roots suspect even if you see white roots around the outsides of the root mass. went thru the same stench chase on my first grow, didnt find any physical evidence of the rot until the ass stench had pretty much gone away, then feeling around my reservoir i felt a slimy patch of roots up under the center of the root mass. ur in soil so that thorough of examination probly damn near impossible.
            keep watching them, dont let your gaurd down. root rot may be a common problem, but it can be uncommonly difficult to detect early on.

good luck

Comment

Hello all its rainy today where I am! Her aroma is coming from her preflowers, in fact it's getting sickly sweet if that makes any sense, she still smells like a decaying carcass, but I gently probed the coir, nothing has infiltrated it, I can actually put my nose almost all the way to her coir and I smell earthy water, but as soon as I'm an inch above the coir her smell is overwhelming. This will be an interesting grow for sure. Her sister who seems to be more indica has a very fruity scent coming from her preflowers, between citrus and papaya and pineapple, very citrus like with hints of floral!

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

• intergalactic_harvester
                intergalactic_harvester commented
                Editing a comment
                thats interesting stuff. i want to spend some time learning more about terpenes. broad subject so probly wont get too deep into it until mid bloom here and things slow down. i have read other stories about phenos that give off a wide range of downright odd smells and gave very unique effects too. this one might turn out to be one you wanna keep around for a while!

Hi Scientist

What strain is she?

Maybe somebody made a Weed-Durian cross
              Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

Hello Scientist . I have got the same problem here , it's been going on for about 4 or 5 days an never really thought about it till reading your thread again. I've got a Nivana NLAUTO about ready to harvest in maybe 10 days and I've a Dr.Kripplin seed that 34 days old that started to flower about 10 days ago and I've been smelling something not good the last few days, when I took them out of the tent today to water that Dr.Kripplin plant stunk like sh-t an I mean bad ,it's not going back in the tent it's in the woods now. I have never smelled a flower that smelled so bad in all my life an don't know how to describe the smell any better than you already have it is really atrocious. Beach-Town-Brit what is a Weed -Durian cross?
                Cfls for a week or two
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

What brands and concentrations of nutrients are you using? Should probably compare that along with everything else you have listed. Stink usually comes from microorganisms, and those are at least as likely to be munching on whatever you are feeding your plants as on the plants themselves.

Edit: thinking back to those microbiology classes so long ago...

Many of the worst-smelling bacteria, particularly those which break down things like corpses, are anaerobes, meaning they live without Oxygen. Things like Clostridia (Botulism, Tetanus, Gangrene) and some types of Bacillus. If there is a closed-off place in your setup where all of the oxygen may have been used up by other organisms, you could have a culture of these growing. Start looking in places like the bottoms of pots which don't ever drain adequately or storage containers where something has been sitting at the bottom for too long with no circulation. If you find something like that, definitely avoid getting it in any sores or cuts while you work.
                Last edited by Zativa; 06-23-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Hey Zativa I grow in supersoil an don't use nutrients just PHed water , my NL smells good like it's supposed to. The Dr.Kripplin just plain smells bad .I've got good intake an out , Everything fine in my tent. Don't know about SinseScientist. But thanks for all the information.
                  Cfls for a week or two
                  36x36x63 inch tent.
                  Smart pots
                  Molasses
                  Autoflowers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	108396

This discussion reminds me of one of my favorite succulents: the carrion flower. Talk about some terpenes!!!
                    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

You mentioned smell was worse when you picked up container. Do you have container raised slightly off floor so you get air flow underneath container or is bottom of container trapping moisture?
                      DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
                      315 LEC
                      6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
                      6" Carbon filter
                      3- 6" fans
                      humidifier
                      temp and humidity gauge
                      5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
                      FF trio nutrients

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X