New grower questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to growing and have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

I read the new shoppers list, and purchased everything on there that they listed. I have a grow tent that is 2x4x5, and I plan on doing a dwc hydroponic setup. I bought the led that the new shopping list recommended, a 600w galaxyhydro led light.

After doing some research (which I should have done more of before purchasing), I'm afraid the grow tent might not be tall enough to accommodate a 600 watt LED light, so I would need to upgrade my grow tent or downgrade my light if this is true. Anyone have any experience with this model led, and if so, how far away does the light have to be from the plant? I'm getting autos so im hoping they will stay shorter, and I plan to train them with lst so they don't grow as tall. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Im still waiting for everything I need, so I have to time to change things up.
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Buy short strains, Indica dominant.

Comment

Hello 476 Welcome. It sounds like your almost ready to get growing ,your tent is bigger than mine so no problem. Nebula has good information on LEDs and heights.Go to GWE and it will say start here an click on lights it will take you to the LED part. A lot of people start with cfls for the first couple of weeks ,then they turn on the LEDs ,some folks use cfls for the whole grow. Normally 22 to 24 inches for couple weeks ,then lower them to about 18 inches, you have to find the right spot.Hope this helps some an good luck.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Welcome to the form. I have a fair amount of exsperince with autos. And I can tell u they grow usualy between 20-40 inchs from the top of ur pots and a 600w led isn't a true 600watt. Ur gunna wanna find out ur actual wattage. I have a 1200w 1000w and 600w and I used all 3 on 3 autos at 6-12inchs away. All models are made different but if ur around the 200-300 true watt range u can possibly keep ur light at 10-12 inchs just monitor ur plant for the tips curling down (light stress) if this happens move ur light up 6inchs and it should take around 2-3days to fully come back. 24/0 lights with autos also get ur self a exhale co2 bag. There about 40bucks and it provides 500ppm for a 4x4x8 space plus air co2 levels at 300ppm. Now u want ur co2 around 1000-1500ppm so buy the bags acordinly to ur tent size. Trust me u will want extra co2 it massivly helps protect the plant from light stress heat stress and also increases growth by 20-30percent. U are also gunna want a good nutrient like fox farm trio or emerald harvest or something that u dnt have to use much and is easy to use. Do u have a ph meter and temp/rh meter? I recomend acuweather it's like 10bucks on ebay and works great just dnt get it wet. I hope I helped. And if u have any questions feel free to ask

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! D.A.A.S.69, I agree, nebula's articles are extremely informative. I have been all over that website the past week lol. That's actually where I got the new growers shopping list. Tyler, I bought the pH up and down with the testing solution, but are you referring to an electronic pH tester? I'll have to invest in one​ of those as well.

I have a carbon filter and a fan to hook up to it, but I can't vent it outside of the home. It's in a corner room in my basement. There is a small plywood door on the wall that leads to a crawl space area under the kitchen, and I was thinking of cutting a hole in the plywood door to fit the ductwork through it so it blows in there, and putting a screen over the hole to protect the ductwork from getting any bugs in it. Would it be okay to just vent it out of the tent into the actual room the tent is in instead? With LEDs I'm not so worried about heating issues, I just wasn't sure about humidity in the room affecting the humidity in the tent. I could get a dehumidifier in there if that is the case and it would be easier to do than cutting a hole in the plywood door. The room is about 4x10 maybe. I seriously have a million questions, I'm just really excited to get started. Thanks again everyone!
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Hey 476 , I believe I would go by what Nebula says about light distance at about 22 to 24 inches to start with ,then lower later if you need to after they get growing. And for CO2 I would read what she says about it . It is a waste of time and money unless your plants already have more light than they can use. This is a really good place to learn 476. On your first grow just keep it simple. And when you need help someone here will be glad to help you. Good luck and keep reading GWE and you will grow some good bud.
            Cfls for a week or two
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

476 venting in the crawl space will work but at some point you will smell pot in your house . I grow in my cellar and have tried discharging into the cellar it works but not well and the carbon filter will work to remove the smell until your plants are in late bloom then I think the smell is more than the filter can handle I have a 6 inch inline filter with two inline fans and Im vented outside and if you open the back cellar you can smell weed .I'm starting week 10 today and will be harvesting soon but it really smells I would try any ideas you have but dont get frustrated if it doesn't work .I think your finale solution will be to punch a hole in and outer wall vent outside. some old houses have vents in the cellar already it might be capped off so take a look to see if you have a capped off pipe going though the foundation good luck and keep us posted
              new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
              current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Thanks for the info again everyone! Jarhead, I may have a problem with the smell. I live in a state where it is legal as long you have your card, but my wife would appreciate it if I could make it smell free. I do have a small basement window in the room I'm in, so I may be able to try venting it outside, but my window would have to open the whole time to do this wouldn't it? Winters are cold over here so that would dangerously reduce the temperature in that room to the point where I wouldn't be able to grow in there. I have read up on how to make a stealthy window with foam and wicker curtains, so I suppose I could try that. The other thing about venting outside is that I literally live next door to the police (we share a 7 ft concrete wall). While it's legal here, I would really prefer not to have them smelling it lol. The police are on the opposite side if the house that I would be venting on, but I'm sure it might make its way over there.

​​​​has anyone here grown and had a completely smell free grow(other than in the tent itself), and if so, how did you do it?

I love this site, there are so many good topics and everyone seems to be happy to help. So greatly appreciated everyone!
                Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Your welcome. Northern Lights autos have very little smell.I am on day 56 and I have to squeeze them lightly to even smell them.
                  Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 06-12-2017, 07:14 AM.
                  Cfls for a week or two
                  36x36x63 inch tent.
                  Smart pots
                  Molasses
                  Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks D.A.A.S, I will keep that in mind for next time. I ordered jock horror autos from Nirvana. I still haven't gotten them yet, but I'm not worried. I still have about 15 more things that are on their way in the mail.
                    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Keep it simple and you will do fine .
                      Cfls for a week or two
                      36x36x63 inch tent.
                      Smart pots
                      Molasses
                      Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X