How much to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! How much to use?

Hello all. I would appreciate some advice from anyone experienced in using Canna Coco nutrients. I am totally confused by the Canna on-line feed schedule regarding quantity to use for a particular container size. I have a three week old Liberty Haze plant in a 14litre (3gal) capacity pot of coco coir substrate + perlite. My plant is showing signs of browning leaf tips. I have already received advice from others on the forum that this could likely be a potassium deficiency. My question here though is related specifically to what concentration of Canna coco to use for optimal results. I water/feed the plant with 5litres (1gal) which is plenty to saturate the soil and allow adequate run-off. The Canna on-line feeding schedule requires a "container" size to calculate concentration. If I nominate 14 litres (pot size) I'm going to get a different result in contrast to the 5 litres I use to water. Then again, the bottle directions recommend a straight 40ml per 10litres. Can anyone using Canna explain how I should read the schedule to suit my pot size? Thanks.

Il help you with the directions, i assume the following is what is written on your complex solution.
    • Shake bottle well before use
    • Fill nutrient reservoir with water
    • Add CANNA COCO A & B to the nutrient reservoir with the dilution ratio 1:25 (40 ml A and 40 ml B per 10 litre of water). Add CANNA COCO A to the nutrient reservoir Stir well, then add CANNA Coco B Again, stir well and let mixture stand for some hours
    • The EC of Coco dissolved in (tap) water varies between 1.2 - 2.3
    What this means is that a concentration ratio is recommended to be 1:25, this will give a EC rating of between 1.2-2.3 depending on how hard your water is.
    How this relates to the water used is simple. For every 40ml of nutrient solution mixed, 10 litres of water is required for the recommended concentraion ratio. So if you multiplied 0.40mls by 25 you get 10, which would be 10 litres of water. In other words ratio is a percentage ratio, relative between two amounts showing the number of times one value contains or is contained within the other.
    Canna coco recommend this ratio be calculated seperately and not together when mixing, so 40ml from one bottle is not added to 40ml from the other bottle to come to 80ml.
    For 5 litres you are going to halve the recommended dosage, 20ml from each bottle. This will give a 1:25 ratio for each complex nutrient solution.

Reading the listed EC values of the canna coco shows that this product is quite potent. If your water is hard, you can easily over fertilize with this dosage. 2 EC equates to about 1000ppm Hannah. This is really strong. A EC meter may be importent if you suspect your water is hard, if it is reversed osmosis then i would be not too worried then.

Any Q's feel free to aks, i got nothing but time.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

I don't use canna nutrients nor coco. But I know what they mean. It comes with that units cuz it's common in hydroponics big reservoirs. But you can divide by ten to get smaller doses. That would be 4ml per liter. You should always calculate with the amount of water you are going to use. When they say "container" they mean reservoir not pot

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I was confusing 'tank' size for pot capacity on the Canna grow guide but had a hunch that I could simply calculate proportionally. But here's the thing -- now I've gone back to the Canna site and entered my 5litres it returns a result of 11 ml (for the 'regular' feeding regime). That is exactly how much I calculated and used at last feeding before I noticed the browning leaf tips. So, if my problem is in fact potassium deficiency, does that mean my tap water is too hard (and should cut back on nutes?) I have not been able to determine this so far. Do not have a meter. Cheers.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bumble your growing Liberty Haze its a strain that does not like a lot of nutrients so I would cut it in half 6 ml and see, if the plant likes that go to 7 and so on, I've nute burned a lot of liberty hazes when I grow more that one strain at a time. they are worth the trouble though great smoke

I went to the website and run the calculator for 5L, making sure to select canna "coco". Using "standard" hardness water i got given results of 10ml A 10ml B, give or take 2mls. The variation comes from the time order of administration. Seedlings required a little less, but up to three weeks it suggested 11ml/11ml.
      Flowering suggests the max dosage of up to 20ml/20ml.

"20 ml/ 10 liters standard. Increase to a maximum of 40 ml/10 liters for extra flowering power."

Regarding what to do, i personally wouldnt use more than 11ml/11ml. The ppm level for that dosage is suggested to be 750ppm (hannah) which shoulf be more than enough for that age of plant. Especially if suggested by others that it is a fairly sensitive strain towards nutrients.
      what we are going to have to assume here is that it is possibly nutrient burn, burnt edges are not often common. But common enough that it does happen. So perhaps back off the feeding by half and feed 5ml/5ml, or even less. See how it goes from there, reasses after a couple of feeds.
      Last edited by DrPhoton; 06-08-2017, 03:18 AM.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

Danofdanger I wish I could be as articulate as you are, Iv'e always been blunt about things,but sometime fines is needed and Im more like a 5lb sledge than a finishing hammer lol
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, theres always a use for both

So nutrient burn now? Since I noticed the brown leaf tips and edges a week ago, the problem seemed to get a little worse on established leaves but then, happily, appeared to recede without any intervention. One or two new leaves that have grown in size since then bear only a tiny brown tip while surrounding leaves and new growth are unmarked. This Sunday was high time for re-watering so referring again to the Canna guide, added 9.5ml (A+B) according to their 'light' feeding schedule. This time, I remembered to supplement with the Cal/Mag solution. I'll be holding by breath (figuratively) to see what result ensues. If nutrient burn was the problem to start with, I assume that two consecutive dosings without a no-nute watering in between will make the problem recur -- even though I cut back slightly on concentration?

Comment

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          We can only assume at this point, a plant will suffer more quickly from nutrient toxcicity than a deficiency. So by backing off the nutrients and reassesing we can have a safer go at disgnosing the issue. If the plant responds from the underdosing, then you can continue from there. If not, then we might start thinking about an additional supplement.
          Not flushing with water between feedings can build up salts and cause additional stress.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X