What's new
GrowWeedEasy.com
You're browsing as a guest. Sign up to join the conversation, share your grows, and get help from thousands of fellow growers — it's free and takes less than a minute.

Inquiry On Leaf Tip Issue

Grownub

New member
Hello,

I have come quite a way from my initial post. Some of those desperate saplings turned around and came out to be quite good.

I am now back after reading some of the sites literature and want to see if you have an expert opinion based on these two photos and some context. Let me know any other questions.
Context:
(this is around week 6 of veg)
Medium - FFOF (1 bag ) + 12 Dry Quarts equivalent of EW castings & COCO Coir
Nutes - FF Bloom (not Tiger Bloom) And grow big diluted accordingly to their feeding schedule
Below is the most current parameters during light on 18/6 schedule
Watering - doing ~4 cups (1 liter) of water basically daily, the soil seems to dry up pretty quick as I have inlet air at the bottom via box fan, the clip fan hitting middle / canopy and the top 4" exhaust going. Nute watering occurs M & F weekly and is given the correct dilution based on FFOF nute schedule. I started misting the leaves with the same nute water when lights are turned off every Sat/SUN, not enough to deeply saturate but to "mist" the leaves.

I did observe that my clip fan wasn't occillating the entire tent, but was on "setting 4" which I consider the low "1" setting on a standard fan, and was oscilating maybe about 40 degrees of the 4X6 tent in the middle.

This probably seems obvious - but I couldn't decide between wind burn or excess nitrogen. Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
  • photo 3 parameters.jpg
    photo 3 parameters.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 4 parameters.jpg
    photo 4 parameters.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 20
  • feeding schedule.jpg
    feeding schedule.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I'm not an expert but I just wanted to say I think your plants look good so far.

For wind burn, I saw on the GWE website it says that if all the leaves are gently moving, you're good. It's only when you see the stems waving around that it's wind burn.

So if your fan was on a relatively low setting, I'd guess it's not that.

I know FFOF tends to come with a lot of nutrients, and if you're also adding Grow Big it's possible they are getting too much nitrogen.

Warering daily seems like a lot for their age, so perhaps there's a chance it's a sign of over watering? But if the pots are feeling light every day it could be that they're drinking a lot. Or possibly they might need more water at a time. I struggled with watering so I'm not the one to listen to anyway.

Just curious, are you checking the ph of your water? Not doing that at first bit me later lol

Overall I think you're doing a great job. Your plants look green and lush!
 
I'm not an expert but I just wanted to say I think your plants look good so far.

For wind burn, I saw on the GWE website it says that if all the leaves are gently moving, you're good. It's only when you see the stems waving around that it's wind burn.

So if your fan was on a relatively low setting, I'd guess it's not that.

I know FFOF tends to come with a lot of nutrients, and if you're also adding Grow Big it's possible they are getting too much nitrogen.

Warering daily seems like a lot for their age, so perhaps there's a chance it's a sign of over watering? But if the pots are feeling light every day it could be that they're drinking a lot. Or possibly they might need more water at a time. I struggled with watering so I'm not the one to listen to anyway.

Just curious, are you checking the ph of your water? Not doing that at first bit me later lol

Overall I think you're doing a great job. Your plants look green and lush!
Thanks so much - my first grow and of course nothing has been "ideal" but I have learned a lot from reading and videos. Everyone seems to have their own "#1 way to avoid X,Y,Z" and plenty of big opinions.

I am leaning towards too much Nitrogen as well based on the dark green leaves and clawing, so I think I was looking for the second opinion. I agree with the assessment that FFOF + FF Nutes are the cause, so I think I may just skip Nutes on this plant for a week and assess changes in the leaves. Will most likely keep the small foliar sprays in place just to keep some nutes minimally going thru.

I agree with the watering assessment as well. on paper, this is far too much water. However, I always check knuckle deep and lift the pot. Soil is bone dry and the pot is very easy to lift. I think that my environment may be running dryer with the added box fan wind and the exhaust going, However my temps / Humidity appear to be dialed in well with my secondary temp/humid sensor in the tent as well as the SF sensor. I'm going to keep going with 1 liter of water when lights flip on IF the soil is dry and pot is easy to lift. Also In my research helps "flush" salt crystallization in the coco I mixed in the FFOF medium.


REGARDING PH - I use tap water and try to let it offgas overnight in my watering jugs. Most of the time I run out of water and use tap water from the sink and water direct. I personally have not had any issues with the water this way. I do PH the water and I do find that it is a bit higher (usually around 7). I think for my first grow I am accepting this fate as I am already this far in. I think Grow #2 has opportunity for me to really dial in PH using PH down and getting another jug to allow it to sit and offgas. I just like fresh tap water due to the oxygen getting into the water, which I read is what roots like.

As always, I am open to any criticisms to improve! Thank you for your comment!
 
My 2 cents worth.. I think I see a little bit of ‘painted nails’ on the leaf tips might try cutting nutrients in half on each time you feed. Most nutrient instructions call for more than you need you can always add more . Also invest in a 5 gallon bucket you can fill with water and leave out to air out chlorine in the water. That way you should have plenty to water with..
 
My 2 cents worth.. I think I see a little bit of ‘painted nails’ on the leaf tips might try cutting nutrients in half on each time you feed. Most nutrient instructions call for more than you need you can always add more . Also invest in a 5 gallon bucket you can fill with water and leave out to air out chlorine in the water. That way you should have plenty to water with..
Thank you so much....your 2 cents were implemented tonight on todays nute schedule...So thank you for this!
 
Back
Top