X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faild to grow

Hello guys !
    VEry new to growing.
    I have make many mistakes cost me lot of money and pain.

I've always succeeded to germinate and sprout my seeds but after that when i put inside the soil things goes wrong.
    I got fungus 3 times and 3 other times the seed didn't grow up from the soil and died.

Fmthe first time i was using compost as soil later found out that i need potting soil to start with.
    This time I started with small plastic pots one you can rip off easily and used potting soil. I germinated my seeds then put it inside the pots but it didn't grow. There was no sign of fungus but the stem/root was long but looked very unhealthy and died.

I couldn't find any answer on internet what to do. This caused me lot of pain and money.

Now i want to do it right.
    I got potting soil and i am wondering what size of pot should use after I sprouted the seeds ? And the potting soil I am using have peat, pumice, compost, perlite and little compost.

I think i didn't water enough because i was afraid of overwatering.

I am new to this and don't know how to explain so ask me questions and feed me with knowledge i would appreciate it.
    ​​​​​​
    i don't have any lighting kit i have very good climate and condition for growing.
    also snother thing i noticed the amount of soil is shrinking from the pot any idea why ? I.e i filled the pot with soil sll the way to top but after few days it would shrink 2-4 cm
    Last edited by Johncena; 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM.

Hey Johncena . Best way to start growing weed is with bag seed, if you can get any.
    You mentioned a couple times about using compost. I don't know your mix but compost can have huge nitrogen. Even a little can be too much for sprouting. You also mentioned using potting soil. Depending on the brand, it can also be lousy with heavy, time release nutrients. Nutrient burn might be an issue. I killed a number of sprouts, as you have, until I started using depleted soil. Or, soil without so much nutrient content. Seeds have what they need to get going.
    There are rooting blocks you can use to get going. Once you have a bit more than the tap root going, you can plant directly to commercial soils.
    Check your water pH and check the GWE website for sprouting. That page is gold.
    Soil shrinks. If it shrinks too much, add more. Where there is soil around your trunk, roots will also grow.
    Last edited by Gingerbeard; 09-21-2021, 03:50 PM.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Johncena
      Johncena commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the advice i think i know what to do differently.

I will upload picture of the potting soil i am using.

I use paper towel method and get the seeds to sprout after the tap root is 10 mm ~0.5 inchb long i put it inside this potting soil.

I was thinking adding extra perlite to this potting soil i have because amount of perite in it is too little.
      The one that grew tallest and died i used 1 part perlite and 2 part compost and it survived but as you said and i believe as well she got nutrient burnt later because it was redworm casting with compost too strong for the seedling.

What's the idead ph for water snd ph for soil that have worked for you. I will check the website thanks again !

Comment

I can't get into the nitty gritty about which soils are the best because I've only used one and am about to use another brand and type of soil.
      I can give you what I've experienced. Mainly that sprouts just need a place to drop their tap roots without extra help. I grew a seed to the first set of single leaves in a medicine bottle with a paper towel. Didn't follow it through because I had others to deal with. Also sprouted seeds in straws with soil. Again, only as an experiment.
      Depending on your medium, pH can be between 6.0 and 6.8. It also depends who you ask.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Straws with soil and towel combinations.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• Johncena
          Johncena commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats cools i see on the first picture the stem is browish is that a problem or normal ?

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Really??

That's just they way they happened Johncena . It might be dirt as I didn't wash before showing. There's a little more to it.
        Really SoOrbudgal .
        Four made their way to the Solo Cup Challenge of two years agrow. There was talk at the time about horizontal grow. I decided to modify the rules of the challenge as well as the horizontal grow.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Less than viable way of helping a newbie learn to sprout an transplant was all i meant.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Should have put my 'Do not try this at home' disclaimer on it? Yeah, don't do what I do. I hooked up a battery to a plant, for godsake!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X