Temp humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp humidity

My room was at 81 temp and 56 hum. Dropping the temp to 79 dropped the humidity to 46! Any hvac folks who know the formula for this. Gonna leave it and put a bucket of water to up the humidity for now.
    I find it easier to get more humid than less but I live in the swamp.πŸ˜€ thanks in advance and have great Sunday!
    Bubbleponics
    Advanced platinum 450w
    Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
    hydroguard

​​​​​​​

I'm right in the middle of flowering and would kill to get my humidity down that low my dehumidifier runs 24/7 makes a lot of heat. 79 + 46 sounds good to me I don't live in the swamp but I do live in the south it's so freaking humid here anyhow good luck. πŸ’¨

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in the South too, and when I use the dehumidifier, I set it in the doorway of the grow room with the warm air blowing into the hall. It works well for my setup.

Thanks for the info. The drop kind of freaked me out. I'm just 5 days sprouted so you know the worry game is going on πŸ˜€
    what do shoot for as far as temp and humidity?
    Bubbleponics
    Advanced platinum 450w
    hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you know that seedlings and sprouts like more humidity. I generally go by this for humidity (cool chart right at the top of the page): http://www.growweedeasy.com/humidity

And I keep the temp in grow room at around 74. It all depends on what kind of set up you have: I'm hydroponics with a chiller installed into my reservoir, plus I'm growing a sativa right now that can tolerate more heat and humidity.

Thanks funny. Just saw that chart. I'm having issues getting my temp below 79. I'm pulling ac off a vent in the ceiling. I'm gonna try an inline fan to pull more are from the vent. Plus it's hot as hell here. I'm using a hillbilly chiller, just put in my frozen water bottles.
    Bubbleponics
    Advanced platinum 450w
    hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I was using frozen water bottles--big ones--but they melted too fast. What's your set up? Soil? Hydro?

• Capncanna
      Capncanna commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hydro

I hung wet towels to increase RH, worked like a charm!!! Having the opposite issue now, wish I could put my dehumidifier in doorway like alltatup but with nosy kids and pets I'm restricted to the bedroom.
    Hillbilly chiller..... have to google that! Good luck Capncanna!!!!
    FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
    Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
    2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Comment

• Capncanna
      Capncanna commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks momma bear, same thing here cats and dogs would be in there in a shot.

I'm doing Dwc with drip . Bubbleponics I. 10 gallon containers with 6 pots in each. My water temp is 78 and I use hydroguard religiously. I think I need a bigger exhaust as well. Hoping to get through this grow then do some construction. I'm thinking of finding a used ventahood for kitchens.πŸ˜€ha ha. It was 98 with 89% humidity outside yesterday , so I kind of have to take what I can get. How much heat does your chiller put out?
    Bubbleponics
    Advanced platinum 450w
    hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

The proper temp is honestly more determined by the amount of light the plants are getting, there is a certain sweet spot where a combination of a few things really fall in together... If you are growing under things like CFL's, etc... with a low light penetration, then I'd say mid 70's, they say for powerful lightings you want high 70's and if you are running CO2 then they say mid 80's. Then again it also depends on the plant strain too, some like it warmer and others like it cooler depending on their origin. If the plant is too warm or too cold it will influence its growth rate, as you well know being in the south in the swamp the hotter you get the slower you move and less you do, the same goes for a plant, and if you are to cold you again are much more likely to do less because its too cold, again same for a plant. Adding CO2 with bright lighting can really make a huge difference in being able to raise the air temps higher without hurting the plants or slowing them down, in fact they want to take off when you find their sweet spot. Sorry I can't be a better help, personal experience has taught it that it's something you will need to find for yourself in your grow room based off from how your equipment and how you have it all set up.
      The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

GT thanks so much! I have lots of hibiscus outside and they are a constant batlle until rainy season the. It's on. It took me a long time to not freak when they turned yellow or had afids , this is my first hydro grow so your reasoning makes me feel better. Their gonna due what they do. My room is semi sealed I.e. Not airtight . How is the best way to do co2 in a small room. 6x6x8 I'm only growing in a 4x4 area. Have it vented into the ceiling.. I'm using led 450 raises temp by 5 degrees .
        thanks again
        Bubbleponics
        Advanced platinum 450w
        hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

Well there is three main basic ways of doing CO2 in a garden... the first is the DIY recipes from making beer, to using yeast, sugar, and there are some other one's too... in the end DIY CO2 is the most expensive way of doing it, unless you are that small grower with plants under your kitchen sink. For smaller area's such as yours the next more cost effective way is to run a CO2 bottle of compressed CO2 gas, a bottle (CO2-Gas) will cost you about $120 brand new + shipping, $25-35 to fill each time, and then you'll need a CO2 regulator will set you can about another $100, and then you'll either need to run a CO2 timer or CO2 controller. Personally I like the Sentinel DEC-4 Environmental Controller because it will do all kinds of things including regulate your CO2 between 1300-1500 ppm and you can set it for Day-On, Day Regulate to make it control the CO2 levels for you, or CO2 Night for those growing mushrooms and it'll set you back about $300.

As far as needing to seal your room for CO2 goes, it can be rather straight forward and simple, just buy some heavy plastic at a big box store type of store and seal the seams together with a plastic glue meant for sealing it together, they refer to it as a "vapor barrier" for when you are blowing in insulation so there is a barrier between the sheetrock and the insulation. Otherwise you can use some really strong type of duct tape, but the glue meant to seal that stuff together is by far cheaper to seal the seams. For the doorway, that is where I tell people just to use good quality duct tape and make an "L" door to keep the doorway small to lessen the chances of leaks.

When you seal a room for CO2 the humidity is going to skyrocket and your 5-degree temp rise will be able to build up to a lot more... so you will have both temps and humidity to deal with, on the plus side CO2 gas drops the humidity down by a bit most of the time, and since CO2 is a very cold gas, it also helps to knock down the temps slightly when its going. Another plus side to CO2 is that the plants take off at faster speeds, love higher heat and as long as your LED's have good light penetration you'll really enjoy the benefits.

The third way of doing CO2 is to do a CO2 generator they come in Natural Gas and in Propane and the short of it is simply this, they are said to be for larger spaces because they burn the gas to make the CO2, but are not recommended for living spaces or places where humans or pets would live and sleep because of the danger of CO2 poisoning if they malfunction. Greenhouses if you ever go to one in the summer to buy plants will have these big garage heaters up by the ceiling and while it is hot in there you'll hear it kick on and blow more hot air at you, that is the CO2 burner.

If you are going to run CO2 it's really best to seal the room air tight, unless you are on natural gas for pennies and using a CO2 burner in a building used for growing plants then I can see how they get away with it, When running CO2 bottles or a generator you want the CO2 to come from above the plants because it settles to the floor as it is a heavier gas than air, thus why people put fans on the floor pointing up towards the plant canopy to kick up and stir up the CO2 on the floor so you don't waste it. Its also smart to put the CO2 on a timer as well as a regulator in my thought, let the controller regulate it up until the last hour of light, then shut off the CO2 completely, the plants don't use it when they sleep so why flood the area to 1500 ppm, 5-minutes before the light shuts off just seems like a waste of CO2 that you have to pay for.

Recently with the new Oregon rules on the commercial cannabis industry saying they can not use any pesticides or fungicides on their cannabis plants its entire life cycle, got people talking of how to do that. The answer is simply they have to seal their growing area's air tight, to prevent any pests and such from coming in, then scrubbing the air with a carbon filter and UVC light, it keeps problems from arising, adding CO2 just further adds to more yields and its a Win-Win as it cost more upfront but pays off repeatedly with every harvest.
          The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.

Comment

Thanks so much. Just what I needed , my room is going to get serious redesign after this grow. Much bigger out vent. This sounds promising. Sealing the room would be easy and the costs aren't crazy. Do you know of any articles on how the plant actually uptakes the co2 at those volumes? Obviously we are playing with nature. My guess is very different amounts in veg and grow? Do you see a huge difference? What kind of chiller unit are you using
            Bubbleponics
            Advanced platinum 450w
            hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

I know Ed Rosenthal's book "Marijuana Grower's Handbook: Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation" brings up and discusses CO2 at 1500-ppm, and when I talked to Sentinel about the DEC-4 they checked and told me the unit is set for 1300-1500-ppm CO2 as its standard. They have another unit which costs more, and I want to say it will deliver up to 2200-ppm CO2 and has some other features for if you run bottle CO2 versus CO2 generator so it cycles everything more efficiently. I know at 2200-ppm's CO2 you are really pushing the light and nutrients. As for my chiller setup here is some videos to show you want you want to know, and explain it far better than I can. The company is called "Surna" if you want to look them up, aka Hydro Innovations, aka Chill King, they are seriously the leaders in hydro cooling, and on their company website they have some articles written under "Blog" which really outline how hydro cooling. The one discusses choosing the right cooling for your climate as your needs are different between a hot dry place or a cold or even humid climate for how effective your cooling will be. When I had questions and needed help with cooling they are the one place everyone kept telling me to go to, and they do everything from the hobby grower (Hydro Innovations) to the commercial grower. (Surna) and if you get into their chillers then they are called "Chill King".

Hydro Innovations Ice Box video
              This video shows all components for an indoor garden water-cooled system and how to install. This setup includes Ice Boxes, HydroGEN water-cooled co2 generat...

Hydro Innovations Ice Box video part 2-2.mp4

Hydro Innovations water cooled system installation part 2 2

Comment

Opps I forgot the one on the Chillers:

Comment

Thanks so much . I'm working on idea for my room. Have to keep everything outside the room because of the heat. But I will overcome.😁
                  Bubbleponics
                  Advanced platinum 450w
                  hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• alltatup
                    alltatup commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And so will your plants!!!

Ok just received my vortex 24 dollar 6 inch inline fan . Popped on the end of the ac line and wow 😳 for a little cheap fan it cranks. Repositioned other fans so we'll see , I could feel the temp dropping so fingers crossed. Hopefully everyone can take off there parkas in the rest of the house now. πŸ˜€ not to mention my electric bill.
                  Bubbleponics
                  Advanced platinum 450w
                  hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• alltatup
                    alltatup commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The sacrifices we make, the bills we pay for our plants...

• PigSquishy
                    PigSquishy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah the right type of fan in the right spot really can make a difference without a doubt

Dropped it to 79 and 76 without lights. Plants seam happy for now. When do you guys do your first water change in your res? And I mean guys in an all around term inclusive of all the super great female growers out there!
                  Bubbleponics
                  Advanced platinum 450w
                  hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• PigSquishy
                    PigSquishy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If the roots were to dry out for example you'd kill the plant... yes roots needs oxygen to survive, etc... but roots develop differently and when I have been talking to people who know way more about all this than I do, I've heard them discuss "water roots" and "air roots" with me and how the plant specifically picks the right way for its growing environment. Hence why when I tried to take soil based roots, wash off the soil and put them into hydro they'd die, and yet if I was growing roots in an aero-cloner and tried to put them into soil, I was having issues again with plant dying... Thus brought me to asking more questions about the roots and why I perhaps got the answer that I got from people with more education than I on this subject. I just know that if the water roots dry out the plant dies.

• alltatup
                    alltatup commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PigSquishy So the roots adapt to the system in which they're grown for best uptake!! Cannabis plants are SO SMART!!!

• PigSquishy
                    PigSquishy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's not just cannabis...

Two good examples of desert civilizations were the Babylonians and the Egyptians. Both groups lived in a desert and both groups used hydroponics to help them grow enough food to feed their people. The Babylonians lived more than 2000 years ago and were known for their use of hydroponics. They discovered that when they filled bowls with water and added minerals to the water, the bowls could grow vegetables and flowers. The Babylonians hung these bowls high above the ground to create the famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon. These gardens grew so well that they became one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The ancient Egyptians lived during the same time period as the Babylonians. We now know that hydroponics was so important to the Egyptians that many of their writings contain ways for growing different kinds of plants in water.

Did you know... The word hydroponics comes from two Greek words, β€œhydro” meaning water and β€œponics” meaning labor. The concept of soil less gardening or hydroponics has been around for thousands of years. The hanging Gardens of Babylon and The Floating Gardens of China are two of the earliest examples of hydroponics.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X