How do you check run off ph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you check run off ph?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I gotta ask. How do you collect run off from smart pots? And how long do you normally have to wait for run off to collect in the drip tray? I'm pretty conservative with watering so I generally don't see any run off. I have 5 gal pots filled with FF soil and I've been watering my 3 week olds with about a liter (a little more than 4 cups) of water every 36 hours or so. I'm planning on increasing by at least couple cups. My drip trays are not much bigger than the pots themselves, so I'm thinking if I wait too long to check the ph, the fabric will re-absorb the run off water.

Also, a lot of the time when I water around the perimeter of the pot some of the water seeps right through the side of the pot and ends up in the drip tray. Won't that skew the test results since some of the water is not even passing through the soil? Would I be measuring a diluted sample of run off? I realize I'm over-thinking this, but any guidance would be appreciated!
    Started 1st grow 4/28/17
    3x3 Apollo tent
    600w MH/HPS
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
    Fox Farm nutes
    White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

I'm new too but I'm gonna say yeah you're overthinking it. The only thing you said that didn't make sense to me(doesn't mean it's wrong) was absorbing back into pot? You don't have it elevated above your drip tray? Also why aren't you watering to 20% runoff? Is that because of pot size? Once again not saying wrong just asking. I was only in a one gallon pot at that age.

Comment

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't finish reading all but stopped short to explain watering a little too often is overwatering. Better to water to run off then go longer before watering again. Invest in a cheap water gauge. $10 anywhere

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      You are starting to get some real responses from some of the smart ones. Best of luck. Love to check it out. Send me the link or title

• RubySlippers
      RubySlippers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reeling me back in from my hyperactive neurosis! I've calmed down a little and things are looking great!

Don't water as often but you do want a little runoff. Collect in a cup and check pH. Cheap insurance, lets you know condition of your roots.

Comment

water to runoff and then you'll probably only have to do it twice a week and let it dry out a bit between waterings. they might look a bit droopy not long after watering but they'll come good as the soil starts to dry out.
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• RubySlippers
        RubySlippers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Oz! The plants are doing great! I'm debating training methods now. The struggle is real 😉

I get hubby to catch water in a medicine cup once I'm done giving them a drink and I hold up the pot. It ain't pretty but it works 😄 I also was petrified of overwatering early on so didn't have any runoff but prob around this time I was more concerned about being able to check PH so I started alternating runoff and no runoff on watering days till I was comfortable they could handle runoff all the time and in no time they were drinking like camels 😜
      Prob not the best method but I'm a noobie and maybe a lil OCD cautious lol
      Good Luck!!!!!
      FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
      Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
      2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Comment

• RubySlippers
        RubySlippers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, momma! It's nice to hear I'm not the only neurotic grower - no offense! I've been following your latest grow...looking good, lady!

• MommaBear
        MommaBear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ruby!!!! It gets a lil more intense at this stage- extreme neurosis (sp?) if I could I think I'd have a webcam in the tent so I could look when I'm at work hahahaha. had a peak at ur girls 👍🏼 Keep on loving them. Happy growing!!!

Hi Ruby, I also use SmartPots and KindSoil on the bottom half of my pots and FFOF on the top half of the pots and never water to runoff because the KindSoil people say don't do it, because of losing all of the good stuff in the soil. But with just FF , as Ozbud said every 3 or 4 days after you get runoff and check your PH to make sure it's OK, very important, you will be just fine. Glad to hear your plants are doing good, but don't be scared to give them plenty of water, just water slowly. I use small rocks between pots and trays. You are going to have some nice plants ,good luck. PEACE DAAS69
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• RubySlippers
        RubySlippers commented
        Editing a comment
        Hanks, daas! Plants are looking dee-vine after a couple soakings! Cheers!

In my opinion there are two scenarios; if you are feeding heavily with hydroponic nutrients every watering then run off is a must so the salts don't build up. But if you give them just water with the right ph FFOF will stay on range.

if you don't have any problems whatsoever usually means the ph is ok. So if you water with the right ph and have no problems at all most likely the soil ph is in the right range. Fox farms soils have buffers

Comment

I am also growing in smart pots with f.f. Soil and always water to 20% run off,it's easy to catch run off if u put pot on top of a 5 gal.bucket with a rack and wait till run off stops.Put pot back on tray and test.just my 2cents

Comment

• RubySlippers
          RubySlippers commented
          Editing a comment
          that's a great idea! thanks!

Yes growing in FFOF your supposed to water to get runoff, but not supposed to with KindSoil ,I guess you could if you wanted to. But the people at KindSoil says don't its supposed last the entire grow if you don't wash it out. D.A.A.S69
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X