Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown leaf on GreenCrack & Dying bottom leaves on Blueberry with yellowing top leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown leaf on GreenCrack & Dying bottom leaves on Blueberry with yellowing top leaves

Hello, I have a couple of problems and am unsure of the diagnosis:

Green Crack plant, pic 1 & 2.
    there's this one leaf at the bottom part of the plant which started with small yellow spots but they are getting bigger, rest of the plant seems fine so far but I don't want it to spread

Blueberry plant, pic. 3,4,5,6
    - bottom leaves are dying, they don't even turn yellow just this greyish green and die
    - top leaves are yellowing
    - also it seems that some tips are turning yellow

not sure if this is nitrogen deficiency but I am using organic super soil, but there may be more coco coir than super soil in the pot ..around 60% coco, 40% super soil.

edit: there are 6 pics in the gallery and check their caption to know what's what

Thanks

Plants don't look too bad to me. Not seeing any perlite in your growing medium, roots like to spread. Maybe a bit overwatered, maybe a calcium or magnesium deficiency?
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

There's some perlite in organic super soil and the top half is Coco coir. So maybe I will put a little bit of both minerals.

Comment

It looks like it may be a little overwatered, but honestly not too bad so I'm not sure I'd change anything because they're going to be drinking more and more water as time goes on. As far as the nutrient deficiencies, have you been checking the pH of the water going in and out? The pH being too high or too low is the #1 most common reason to see nutrient deficiencies.

Be careful if you cut open the plant with the odd dots to make sure not to share scissors with other plants. Where did you get that particular plant, BTW, was it a clone? The reason I ask is it reminds me just a tiny, tiny bit of TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus). But it could just be a nutrient deficiency, because that can cause all sorts of spots, and each plant is a little different

Do you plan on using nutrients during your grow?

Comment

NebulaHaze i have not been checking the ph I must admit and the plants are watered with rain water because for other plants it works better and our tap water is quite hard. Not sure if that is a factor though?

the plants are from the seeds from local seed bank. Blueberry is Dutch Passion and Green Crack is Humboldt

i was not planning on using nutrients since I'm using organic supersoil but if it's needed it's no probleml

UPDATE on the Blueberry: more leaves above the affected ones are also dying with same symptoms, also the tips are pointing up. But we are just using the sun so don't think it's light related. See the pics. No idea what it might be.
          Last edited by Bud Lightyear; 05-13-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

That also looks like it might be a deficiency, possibly a Phosphorus deficiency? If so, that also may be affected by pH. I agree it's not too much light. Just curious, has that curling leaf turned shiny or is it just the picture?

Comment

The leaves are shiny because we sprayed them with rapseed oil. And other two simultaneously grown plants don't have these symptoms. Maybe we used too little super soil? Should I add more. Or add extra nutrients ? Thanks

Comment

Is it possible that the leaves are reacting poorly to the rapeseed oil? Is it only happening to the leaves that were sprayed?

If you started in super soil you likely don't need to add nutrients for a while. Your plants are so small they probably haven't used up much at all.

Have you had a chance to check the pH yet? That's the most common reason to see nutrient deficiencies, so it's definitely the first thing I'd do next!

Comment

I sprayed everything and this started even before the spraying.

I just came back home with the ph tester and realized we left all our stuff at the store which is now closed ;((( so I will get chance to do it tomorrow ughh, I'm upset.

I'll let you know in about 12 hours thanks

Comment

It didn't seem like that would do this, but I thought it was worth double-checking. You've got healthy top leaves and a growing plant, so I think it's good for now! You're doing exactly what your plant needs, it can hold on for one more day

Comment

The one thing I kept thinking looking at the pattern for how the leaf if dying is that it is getting burnt by light, if you are spraying something like an oil or water on a plant's leaves it can change how the light refracts and how it thus the light feels when it hits the plant. I kept thinking light burn somehow, but when you said you had sprayed it I figured it was caused by light refraction on that leaf. Perhaps oil ran off from other leaves or something and pooled on that one spot of one leaf thus causing the issue.
                      The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.
                      http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

PigSquishy thanks but I sprayed the plants due to these symptomts and for the Blueberry plants it's spreading from bottom to top

NebulaHaze So i did the ph test and the water is 6,8 and with the soil it's even more like over 7,5 which could mean the phosporus or iron deficiency?

​​​​​​​thanks

Comment

If you haven't seen it already, here's a chart showing which nutrients are available at different pH levels in soil. Being over 7.5 there's a number of nutrients your plants aren't getting.
                          Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
                          600W HPS
                          Coco
                          GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
                          Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
                          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
                          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

If your pH is off it will cause all kinds of issues with nutrients, and it is so important that every time I water I make sure to check and adjust my pH after I mix everything into the water, then I use in my case pH Down to get my pH into the proper range for whatever my plant(s) are, and I personally even let the water set for another 10-15 mins and take another pH reading before I give it to the plants to ensure the pH is proper and correct. Now if you weren't already aware, as time goes on and the plants eat their nutrients, they again can throw off the pH of the soil, hence why its always a good idea to keep checking the pH of the soil from time to time to make sure it too stays in the proper range.

While this doesn't apply you at this point, if you aren't already checking water temps before feeding your plants you may want to consider it. Recently I had to have others water plants for me, and so they followed what they thought was what I do, and took tap water straight from the tap which ended up being only in the 40's and feed it to my house plants.it's no wonder suddenly there is lots of dead plants. In the end it was a simple mistake made, because sometimes it's the very basics like pH, water temp, etc... that gets you. Nebula Haze has written a lot of really good articles and information on everything about a plant here on this site for free, I would encourage you to start learning the basics and avoid yourself a lot of issues moving forward because it's not hard to learn it, but it makes a mountain of difference in how well your plants will do moving forward.
                            The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.
                            http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

Yeah she did, and they are great, I'm thankful. But when I decided for supersoil the assumption was that I don't need to care about pH as per the article.

Anyway I bought an acidifier and now the runoff water is at 6,5 which seems promising

I will keep checking the pH periodically and if my sympthoms persist, I'll let you guys know

thanks to all for the input and if you have more to advice I'm all ears

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                              X