please help what causes seeds not to grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help what causes seeds not to grow

I keep germinating seeds and they germinate fine in the water/ paper towel method they all pop and the tap root is 1/8 inch long when I plant it in room temp soil 1/2 inch deep and I put them in a clone tray/ dome with a small amount of water in the bottom of the tray and a led light 8inchs above 24/0 light temp is 75-85 and high RH 80ish and only 2 seeds outa 17 sprouted. Can anyone tell me why?

Possible transplant shock, they're extremely fragile when young.
    Have you tried Rapid Rooters or Jiffy pellets?
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

Too much water and they drowned? If you're keeping water in the tray all the time, that might be the case...
      Last edited by alltatup; 05-07-2017, 04:00 AM.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thank u ill try rapid rooters or something like that. I thought of the drownding thing to but 2 of them poped and there wasn't much water in the bottom just enough to cover the bottom of the tray. Do u think that's still to much? It's really weired

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          tyler_ hobbyist
          What I have understood from all that I've read about germinating is that you don't want to keep the seedling medium all that wet all the time. The seedlings will be deprived of oxygen and will drown. I would never leave them in any amount of standing water.

I use Root Riots (like rapid rooters, but not GH company), put them in my germ. tray upside down (larger base down so they stand up), make a small hole in the small end which is up and stick the seeds in. I don't soak my seeds overnight or anything because I don't want to mess with the tap root at all. I keep the germ. pad at around 85, I open the top of my germ. tray hood so that air circulates, and I keep the root riots moist. I drip small amounts of water onto the rooters each day if they feel too dry. That has worked very well for me on my second and third germination.

As soon as I see seedling beginning to emerge, I put them under the lights in my grow box, check them AT LEAST twice a day to make sure they aren't drying out (because the lights in my grow box produce more heat). This is a critical stage, so I definitely make sure I'm around to take care of the little babies and keep a steady eye on them. It's so easy for a seedling to die from too much or too little water.

When I see the roots emerging from the root riot, then they are gently placed in my larger net pots (been using rock wool, and I make sure that no root damage will occur when I put the root riot in the rock wool hole). This last time, I just carved out the larger rock wool cube so that it was open at the bottom so roots could grow down towards bubbles more easily. On my next grow, I will gently put the root riot in Hydroton in the net pots.

And I pH-balance my water.
          Last edited by alltatup; 05-07-2017, 06:05 AM.

Originally posted by tyler_ hobbyist View Post
        high RH 80ish
        Isn't 8-ish a heck of a high PH? Everything I've read to date calls for something much closer to 6. My first three seeds (ever) are sprouting as I type this. So, I'm asking, not suggesting.

I've made a point of keeping all my water right about 6 for fear of stressing them. Is the ph less critical at this stage? Is there a benefit to a higher PH during germination?

Gears

Do something nice for a stranger today!

Comment

• Gears
          Gears commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that I read tyler's post again, I see he said RH.(Relative Humidity) My brain turned that into PH. Even though I noticed he said 80 and not 8.0 My bad. Sorry, Tyler

The sad thing is, I haven't engaged in any MJ in about 4 months now. So, I can't blame it on that. -
          Last edited by Gears; 05-07-2017, 06:55 AM.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Now THAT IS sad, Gears!!! And I missed that you missed that because I been smokin every day!! ;-}

• tyler_ hobbyist
          tyler_ hobbyist commented
          Editing a comment
          My ph is a 7

I agree with the others that it sounds like it may be too wet in there. Clones need tons of humidity but seedlings can be easy to "drown" when they're young

Comment

Ok thank u guys very much ill have to try again with less water, just cirous can a seedling die before sprouting if the temp raises above 90?

Comment

Personally I won't use the paper towel method, the root is too fragile to be moving around like that. Don't get me wrong, lots of people do it successfully, but I'm not trying it. I use rapid rooters with 100% success rate so far. If I didn't have the rooters I'd just put them directly in soil like nature intended.

how long has it been seen you transplanted them?
            #TeamAutoMechanics

Previous grow journals:
            Pure Power Plant and Blue Mystic + Freebies
            Girl Scout Cookies and Gorilla Glue (AutoMechanics Grow Thread)

Grow Room Video: https://vimeo.com/218651917

Comment

About 7days. And only 2poped and there on opposite sides.

Comment

Iv never used rapid rooters or anything like that what would people recomend and what's the best way to user that product?

Comment

I always have good sucess woth my method but for some reason I'm haveing bad luck

Comment

I also grow autoflowers just so people can take that into consideration just because there a bit different that photos

Comment

The middle the 1st row and the middle on the second row are the only two that popped out this is the set up. Does anyone have thoughts about this should I try a different way??? I seem to have bad luck this go around lol

Comment

I've found that 90°F is too hot for healthy growth. Plants often suffer and grow slowly at such high temperatures. It needs to be under 85, and under 80 is even better, especially for seedlings and heat-sensitive strains.

Comment

Thank u very much nebula I'm gunna try again. Thank you everyone for your help

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X