My .02cents on SCROG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My .02cents on SCROG

I'm starting my third scrog grow this week end and feel like I made enough mistakes and discoveries these last 6 months it might be time to share some of them. Details available if you like to read my long ramblings. Ask at your own risk, pop corn not provided. Feel free to add too. Note: my scrog size is bit ...unusual I think, 8x4.5'

-do's:
    green coated chicken wire for the net.
    Net 36" off the ground
    4.5' across
    1 strain per
    indicas better than sativas
    veg plants under the net 2-3 weeks before the flip minimum
    minimum 1.5' free space around the scrog
    Zip ties
    3/4" pvc
    3' squares for span
    light hangers adjustable
    wait for 5-6" full colas minimum before flipping
    KNOW YOUR STRAIN
    General horticulture knowledge a must.
    signing up on gwe forum

-forgetaboutit's:
    string for the net
    too wide to reach the center without risking a hernia
    throwing plant under the net the day of the flip
    uneven height of the canopy
    Lights not overlapping the edges of the net
    watch for span of pvc pipes
    NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, time consuming
    NOT THE EASIEST FOR ROOKIES
    Easy on stem strengthening nutes, keep those branches flexible!
    Last edited by LuckyAcres; 05-04-2017, 08:56 AM.
    x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Originally posted by LuckyAcres View Post
    I'm starting my third scrog grow this week end and feel like I made enough mistakes and discoveries these last 6 months it might be time to share some of them. Details available if you like to read my long ramblings. Ask at your own risk, pop corn not provided. Feel free to add too. Note: my scrog size is bit ...unusual I think, 8x4.5'

-do's:
    green coated chicken wire for the net.
    Net 36" off the ground
    4.5' across
    1 strain per
    indicas better than sativas
    veg plants under the net 2-3 weeks before the flip minimum
    minimum 1.5' free space around the scrog
    Zip ties
    3/4" pvc
    3' squares for span
    light hangers adjustable
    wait for 5-6" full colas minimum before flipping
    KNOW YOUR STRAIN
    General horticulture knowledge a must.
    signing up on gwe forum

-forgetaboutit's:
    string for the net
    too wide to reach the center without risking a hernia
    throwing plant under the net the day of the flip
    uneven height of the canopy
    Lights not overlapping the edges of the net
    watch for span of pvc pipes
    NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, time consuming
    NOT THE EASIEST FOR ROOKIES
    yeah I agree with the choice of strains.
    I've gone and put 3 dif rent strains in my scrog at once and the canopy was all over the map.
    some were all nice and even. then I had these "freebie" seeds that came with my order that I had no info on
    and ended up useing up precious space on weed not suitable for scrog...
    and being able ta walk around the hole thing is a must.
    There's a bunch of things I'll be changin on my 2and scrog.

nice set up by the way

Comment

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      Always that balance between weed space and dead space, thanks barrel!

hi lucky! sounds right, lol. didnt seem so much work to me tho, but i jumped in because my grow got crazy and it was the most effective way to get them back! actually shortened my maintenance time quite a bit.
    i absolutely agree with you about vegging a few weeks under the screen under most circumstances however, my kosher tangie will be screened and flipped same day this time.
    A. this strain has a 4 week stretch period
    B. i am modifying my training method
    C. my reservoir lids are topped with mesh for almost unlimited tiedowns, accomplishing the same job up to the flip
    D. i had to think around all that stuff cuz i dont have room for a screen on my veg table! hahaha

funny you posted these truths here like that, im with you!

Comment

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      For me it was the lack of head room and big plans in mind. Plus couldn't turn down building shit out if pvc!
      Scroggers united!

Lucky..master scroger extraordinaire... You the man bro..keep it up!!

Comment

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks dude! LOL! We'll see about that, I got many ways to fuck this one up still! 😂

Hi Lucky,
    Thanks for starting this. I am in my first grow with an indica and soil...one plant. I am going to take a chance and try scrogging on my first time out.

One of the tutorials suggests string makes a good net. You seem to disagree. Could you explain? I personally would like to read your "ramblings" on the subject. How do I do that?

I topped my plant just once many weeks ago but I must have fimed as well as I have three main stems that I have been LSTing. They have all developed new stems which are now growing upright and starting to get unruly so I am ready to add my screen.

I have seen others also suggest the screen should be adjustable. I plan to hang it from my cabinet's ceiling with enough baling twine that will allow me to raise or lower it. But, why do I want it to be adjustable? Once the plant is growing in the screen, would I even be able to lower or raise it without damaging everything?

Once I make the flip, can you advise me on how long I should keep tucking? I have heard two weeks, but I can't seem to find an explanation as to when I should stop tucking.

I would be very interested in hearing about any and all problems you..or others who read this...had with scrogging during previous grows!

Thanks in advance for your comments. If it weren't for all the experienced growers who are willing to share, I would never had made it this far!

Comment

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi sparky, no pb, i love me some rambling!
      The string didn't work for me either because I didn't weave it properly and/or the span is quite big on my scrog. Anyways as the plants grew the string was all over the place, grow squares being totally distorted creating a big old mess. I like the chicken wire so far it has not moved one iota. And I plan on drying straight off the scrog too.
      Raising the scrog. Mine is on light hangers but I hardly ever adjust them once it's in place. Handy at harvest time to lift it out if the way if needed.
      The tucking is vital in keeping your canopy at an even height which is vital to a successful scrog. All the tops of those colas need to be at the same height as much as possible. So tuck as long as it's needed! I usually start my session by bending down to eye level with the scrog and figure out the unruly branches and tuck them back in the fold. Right now the canopy is pretty even so I'm letting them do their stretching closer into the lights, figured once it gets too hot, they'll stop and get stouter.
      One thing I meant to add. Easy on the stem strengthening nutes! Sturdy stalk and the like. You need those branches to be flexible so you can tuck and not break. The scrog will support your ten pound buds!
      Good luck and don't hesitate to pm me!

I managed to use string with success but I did weave it. 1 row over under, next row under over.

Made a frame
    ​​​​​​ 4' × 7' in size outa 2"×2"s. Used a small peace of a 2x4 just for a guide to mark lines all the way around, used dry wall screws at every line. strung it up.
    mad perfect 4" squares. nice and springy.
    made a plywood table about 1 foot off the ground lined with plastic
    ( kind of a catch all )
    screw 2' posts from the scrog to the table at each corner.
    So now the top off the scrog stands waist high.
    I can't raise it cuz of this, but what it did do is if I needed elbow room in there or needed a lader in there, I can shove the hole scrog over to one side of the room or the other with out wrecking any thing. then re-center it when I was done doing what ever I was doing..
    My flower room is 7x9
    So I found the ability to moving it around very convenient.

I have 4, 12 gallon plastic totes that I grow in and the sit nice an solid in all 4 corners of the plywood table.
    some pics there ta give you an idea.
    the last 2 are from last week.
    you can see that the canopy is int very even, that's cuz of 3 diffrent strains at once. and I shoulda kept push the branches through longer.
    most where done streching but one just wouldint stop. now you can see in the 1 right side of the pic,they stand almost 2 frickin feet over the scrog
    Last edited by 4barrel; 05-05-2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Hey lucky looks good after my gorilla glue is done I'm building a new room and will incorporate scrog into it. but I have a question . when I order seeds I read as much is available about the strain ,is there some other place to learn about strains .
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X