Grafting cannabis onto rootstock from a different plant 🍊🌳

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grafting cannabis onto rootstock from a different plant 🍊🌳

I know this may sound crazy, but I was reading about how some types of fruit trees are propagated with root grafting. They take a plant that makes good fruit, then graft a piece of stem from it (called the "scion") onto the roots of a different tree! So for example they'll take a really tasty orange tree and put it on the roots of a cold-resistant plant, so you can grow the tasty oranges in cooler places than the native species. 🍊🌳

I found this sort of Apple Tree Grafting Tutorial with pictures by Karelj in Wikimedia Commons

Day 1

Click image for larger version  Name:	apple-tree-grafting-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	83770
    Pieces should have good leaf buds and be 1/4-1/2" in diameter. Must be very closely related to rootstock tree.

Click image for larger version  Name:	apple-tree-grafting-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	83771

14 Days Later

Click image for larger version  Name:	apple-tree-grafting-14-days-later.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	83772

All the new growth from these scion sticks will have certain characteristics from the roots, like resistance to heat/cold/bugs, overall hardiness, or the tendency to get big or stay small!!!

But here's the crazy thing! The fruits from the grafted branch end up growing and tasting the same as the original, even though it's on a different plant! The FRUIT gets decided by the branch it came from, but the growing characteristics are at least partially decided by the roots! \(★ω★)/

So hear me out. What if you had a strain of weed that produces really perfect buds, but gets bad yields. What if you grafted it onto the roots of a high-yielding, vigorous strain? What kind of effect would it have on the resulting plant? Could it increase yields?

Or what if you had a clone-only strain that had been cloned for generations over years and years, and has gotten limp and lifeless over time? Could you graft it onto the roots of a healthy, fast-growing plant, and then be able to "revive" the clone, while keeping the bud characteristics?

Can you even graft marijuana plants? 🌱

I feel like all the examples I've read about grafting all have to do with fruit trees, and cannabis plants don't necessarily grow in the same way...
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

I have a 4 variety apple tree. but I dont think it will work on weed .the grow season is to short
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

It does work on weed...some guy on here that does it...can't remember his name...I've done it once years ago...I just grafted two together....he has done a root stock graft...Damn can't remember...but yes it's done!!

Comment

• Green75
        Green75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to see you berry...been awhile!!

• berrypilot
        berrypilot commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Green! It's cool you're still here, too! 🌱✨

As the others said, it can be done! There's another thread someone started about grafting multiple strains together on one mother plant if you want to check it out!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X