Let's talk CFLs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk CFLs!

I haven't been able to find any information on the best way to orient CFLs.

I have Ys in clamp lights which allows for two bulbs to each fixture. I have hung these around the sides of my plant as I also have an overhead LED. These CFLs are more or less parallel to the floor.

I also have CFLs in bare sockets. Also positioned around the sides of the plant. One of these is positioned upright...perpendicular to the floor. Another is positioned with the bulb pointing down, but also perpendicular to the floor.

Has anyone done any testing to see which orientation is best? Should all the bulbs be parallel to the floor? Does it not even matter?

Of course light coverage and intensity are the primary concern. If none of the plant parts are in shadow, and you just want to improve things, would orientation make any difference?

Once we commence flowering, do any of the above answers change? Should all of the lights be hung above the plant? Is there value to hanging some within the buds...at the correct distance? What is the best orientation during flowering?

Also, does anyone have a good idea for homemade reflectors for the bare bulbs? I hear foil causes hot spots. I tried a metal pie plate but it twists sideways and won't stay in place.

I would be interested in all your opinions! Thank you.

hello spanky, i use cfls, first of all i do think the best is to keep them paralell to the floor, closest to the canopy as possible and i used wood to make a 50x50cm frame where i put 10 bulbs and a cupple of fans, i covered the bulbs with windshield reflector (car window reflective cover) and it works great, the only thing is having too many bulbs makes a lot of heat

Comment

Here are some pics
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1842.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	83406Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	83409Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2080.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	83407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	83408

Comment

Hello 9fingerleaf,

Now that I found my sunglasses, I can look at your awesome set up!

What will we ever do when they stop making CFLs? I don't have to ask why you think parallel is better...your pics say it all.
        (Is the big plant flowering? When will you switch over?)

Is the pup a master grower?

Comment

I was thinking of putting that car window covering material on my walls. Any thought on what to use on a single bulb for a reflector?

Comment

I use an aluminum mixing bowl for a reflector. I got creative fastening a four way splitter to the bowl and drilled some holes to help ventilate heat. Like you said, a pie plate was just too flimsy. I really like 9fingerleafs set up, more cfl bulbs than my setup. Keep in mind that more cfl's do produce heat that needs to be ventilated. I use 42w bulbs but recently found that most retail suppliers have quit carrying the 42w bulbs.
            DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
            315 LEC
            6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
            6" Carbon filter
            3- 6" fans
            humidifier
            temp and humidity gauge
            5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
            FF trio nutrients

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              yes i cant find those either, but there are some very cheap 30 watt in "4U" shape instead of spiral that i like a lot, there are the white ones in the pic

• Spanky
              Spanky commented
              Editing a comment
              Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of a mixing bowl! May we see a pic?

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Will get a photo tomorrow when lights come on.

haha first of all i don't think they'll stop making them so its all good, that plant is flowering right now you can check it out clicking the link in my signature, its in week 4 of flowering. that pup its my little girl, 3 year old pitbull, big loving loyal companion, to me and my wife shes our "children" in the way we spend our days together lastly about the reflector, you can cut it and give it the shape you want and can be in constant contact with the cfls with no danger, use the window covering material everywhere

Comment

• Spanky
              Spanky commented
              Editing a comment
              The dollar store has the window covers so cutting one up is worth a try. So you are saying I should cover the floor, walls and ceiling?

Have seen so many pups in peeps pics...proud parents and rightfully so!

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Skip the floor

9fingerleafs I absolutely love your setup and if you don't mind may use some of your ideas on my next grow. I know my style is not quite like y'alls but it's working ok for me I think. I use danglers to get to some of my lower sites. As far as reflectors, I currently just use white cardboard. It was fancy cardboard with aluminum foil stuck to it but then I heard white was better. Up top my 8 cfls still get some reflectivity from my mutilated domes(4 slits and bend to make room). I really like your boxes though and might try and make something similar.
            Attached Files

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course man. That's the thing about cfls. They are versatile and "harmless" so you can try a bunch of layouts to get the most of your space

• GreenArmadillo
              GreenArmadillo commented
              Editing a comment
              This is monstrous. And beautiful. I am in awe. Teach me!

65 bucks worth from the home improvement store, 43" x 26" x 12", 5 lights on two switches, 1 for lightset 2 and 4, and 1 for lightset 1,3,& 5. Ten bulbs with use of a y spliters. mainly use for veg stage.works super for me, but 9fingerleafs setup look like the Cadillac
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeg warm, humid is your friend for the first couple of days.

• Jeg
              Jeg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Wish me luck. Do you think the heating mat I use on my back would work? And warm,humid,dark or light?

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeg, that funny IV thought about my back heat mat to. But never tried it I have a mat, I do a warm , humid, dark place for the first two day ( opinions very on time) once you have sprouts move to a warm, humid, soft light place for about a week ( opinions vary on time) and start add light after new leaf sets pop. Good luck and let me posted.

So other than changing out bulbs for flowering spectrum, do y'all think keeping the light set up the same for veg and flower is the way to go? No need to dangle lights within flowering colas?

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. With cfl the rule is as close as possible. When vegin you want to leave a few inches of space to grow into without touching the bulbs, cause they grow daily you adjust daily. Once the flowering stretch is over you won't have to move them much

• Jeg
              Jeg commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to dangle bulbs only after my main cola shot through the roof. If you train them to be flat(like I should have) you won't need danglers I guess. I'm new but I don't see why you can't give them light from everywhere. I kinda like my danglers and wish I'd make some more to get even more light coverage/penetration.

I'm running a 2x4 tent with 16-23watt CFL's and 4-T12's all 6700k for veg and will switch to 2700k's for flower with the addition of 5-40watt CFL's I have a 250cfm intake booster and a 250cfm exauhst with 3 hurricane clip fans and a couple PC cooling fans using ffof soil and advance nutrients with 5 gallon grow bags my girls are starting week 3 of veg I've supper cropped them and topped and fimmed them they are a blue cheese OG mix

Comment

• Jeg
              Jeg commented
              Editing a comment
              Your plants look good and healthy

Thanks Jeff 😉 always good to hear some props from the fellow growers I'll be installing the scrog in the next week or so then it won't be long before the fun part starts 😋

Comment

Hi Mike, what beauties! Are you posting a grow journal or could you take us along for the ride here? Could you show us your light set up and the SCROG once it is in place?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X