Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom leaves turning yellow and some small yellow spots are appearing on old growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom leaves turning yellow and some small yellow spots are appearing on old growth

Hi All -- I just joined this forum yesterday because I'm brand new at growing -- just trying to grow for my own personal use. I have a plant whose bottom two leaves are starting to yellow and on the set of leaves above it, some very tiny odd-shaped yellow spots are appearing. Right now it's really new and hard to capture in a photo. The plant is only 3 weeks old and was growing beautifully until I noticed these issues yesterday. I will try to get a picture to post as I'm sure that will help. I've read about septoria but it says the spots are uniform and circular in shape; the few spots that have appeared (maybe six) are all different shapes. I sure could use some advice on this. BTW, LOVE your site!!!!

What is your ph of water and nutrient water going in...what is the ph of your runoff...what is your medium..what are your nutrients if any...

Comment

• Roxanne
      Roxanne commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to show my lack of knowledge in this area right now as I reply to you For my growing medium, I mixed together 2-1/2 gallons of mushroom compost, 2-1/2 gallons of coconut coir, 1-1/4 gallons perlite, 2 cups of pelleted time-release fertilizer, 1 cup of fine sand, 1 gallon earthworm castings. The pH of the water going in is rainwater at 7.3. I have never checked the pH of the runoff -- and by runoff, I assume you mean the water that comes out of the soil after watering. You also speak of "nutrient water" -- I don't have a clue what that is or what I should be using in lieu of regular rainwater. The pH of the soil in the plant with the problems is 6.4. I have a Bluelab soil pH pen for my bell peppers so I know I'm getting accurate readings. I'm beginning to think that this is actually more than a little different from traditional veggie growing. Thank you so much for any help you can give me. I would love to be your Luke Skywalker

Have you started feeding? You got the attention of the master! Not me though, the poster before me.
    Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Roxanne
      Roxanne commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I have not. I was thinking it might be in need of nitrogen...the master, you say? How fantastic for me!!! I am replying to him/her next Thank you for answering!

Time release no good....watch for yellowing when they run out...
    always put in ph at 6-6.5..no exceptions

You have made quite a mixture....Will be interesting to see this out...

Picture would help tremendously.... probly just ph.. Unless you have burnt tips..than it's nute burn...

Comment

Welcome Roxanne - a picture really is worth a thousand words. Using water that is pH'ed to 6.0 to 6.5 is really going to help regardless of what is causing your trouble now. There is a great page on the GWE website on pH http://www.growweedeasy.com/ph . I would certainly consider an infection/infestation as well as a pH or nutrient problem. Especially since it appears you do a fair amount of gardening and it is easy to cross contaminate. I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

• Roxanne
        Roxanne commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I was thinking of the cross-contamination issue myself...what do you recommend for pH'ing the water?

This is the plant I was talking about in the posts above. I'm thinking about removing it from the pot it is in and flushing as much of the medium away as possible, then starting with fresh mix without the time-release fertilizer. I read on this website that it prevents budding...oh the things I have to learn. My grandma taught me how to garden but this is definitely something different!
      Last edited by Roxanne; 04-08-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        That's completely normal. You never going to see a mature plant with those one finger leaf. It's a sign it's growing and they use what's inside those leaves it no longer needs. Don't worry at all

This is a second, different plant that is experiencing very slow growth and downward drooping leaves, some with "the claw". Strain is Fantasmo from Mephisto Genetics.

Comment

What is your light...how far away is it...looks too far...lots of stretch...what is light cycle...

Mephisto....auto flower...are they all auto flowers??

Time release pellets has already released...yellow leaves at bottom....also yellow spots looks like bad ph is making those...

Slow growth on that one....sure is wow....again what is light cycle...how dry do you let medium get before adding more liquid...leaves pointing down..showing you where the issue is most likely....

My $.02

Comment

The lights are up higher than they should be for this particular plant because the others are much, much taller. They aren't shown in the photo. Yes, pH is bad in this pot, 5.2 --

Light cycle is 18 hours on, 6 hours off. I keep the lights within 3-4 inches of the plant but because this one didn't grow like the others, I put it up on blocks to keep it close to the light source. The plants in the background of the one photo show the other plant with problems (don't know what it is, got it from a surprise seed that came out of buds) are my bell peppers, watermelon, and pumpkin. Their light requirements are nowhere near as demanding so the distance for them is okay.

Yes, Fantasmo is an auto, and most of the other ones I'm trying are all autos as well. I do have two that are what I call "surprise" seeds and both are having the same issue that I initially wrote about.

With respect to watering, I let it dry before watering again, but I'm reading that's a mistake. Should I keep the medium moist but not wet or dry?

They are all in cow pots right now but will be transitioned to 7-gallon Smart Pots so I have the opportunity to choose a different medium when that happens. I will most definitely NOT include the time-released fertilizer in the new mix. And if my mix is too hot, I will have to cut down on mushroom compost, don't want to add dolomite lime because I think that will make the pH too high...

Comment

Coco and perlite...70/30...

Comment

Okay, and use nutrient water I assume? Any suggestions on brand or where to obtain and how to administer?

Comment

Hydro shop..internet...
                70/30 mix....rinse coco coir good before adding perlite...

Comment

To Green75, Yoda, the Master -- thank you SO MUCH for your help - I'm trying to post photos but the program is saying my pics are exceeding the file size. I will keep trying...

Comment

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Download the ..photo resizer app.. Then go to 65%..

And again, you have helped me!

Comment

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never got any bigger did she?...oh well..Will smoke just fine

Mataro Blue, 6 weeks old.

Comment

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That looks real nice...Great job

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X