Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temperature should my grow medium (Fox Farms Ocean Forest) be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What temperature should my grow medium (Fox Farms Ocean Forest) be?

This is my first grow of 5 exodus cheese autoflowering autofeminized seeds. They are in rapid rooters in a 6 pack grow container. I have a humidity dome and a heat mat with thermostat. I have been keeping them at 75 degrees F. I have a 4 bulb light about 14 inches above the plants with 2 different types of CFL grow bulbs. (the type of bulbs is right from the GWE web site recommendation)

Right now the "grow area" is just a space in my garage where the plants are surrounded by a cardboard shield which allows them to be enclosed...sort of.

I soaked seeds in water for 36 hours until the tap root showed and them put them in damp paper towel for 24 hours until the tap root was showing about a quarter inch or somewhat longer. Then I put the seeds in the rapid rooters. They came up in couple days but them were very long stems.
    I did transplant those long stem seedlings in to larger pots and buried the long stems in the FFOF planting mix so that only an inch or so was showing.

So now, I am wondering what the temperature of the FFOF should be. I the heat mat set at 75 degrees. However, during the day time the temp on the thermostat says 85 degrees, it's pretty warm here where I live. The laser thermometer also shows 85 degrees.

Is that too hot or should it be cooler? I don't have any fan going on them. Any guidance would be appreciated.

BookReader

I think that's a little too warm. What are the temps without the mat? Maybe using a timer so it turns on and off could help keep the roots in the 70s

Comment

I'm curious about soil temperature too. I also grow with CFL and you need to lower your lights. I keep mine about 4" above plant. That's why you are seeing your seedlings strech. Good luck, there is a lot of good info here!
      DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
      315 LEC
      6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
      6" Carbon filter
      3- 6" fans
      humidifier
      temp and humidity gauge
      5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
      FF trio nutrients

Comment

Ground temps are cooler than air temps.
        Team AutoMechanics

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X