So Molasses... Yes? No? When? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Molasses... Yes? No? When? How?

Been seeing molasses pop up in many growing topics here and there, so I naturally got curious.
    I'm at week 6 flower, in an unknown sativa grow that's looking like it might take more than 10 weeks until ripening.

So the question is, should I be using molasses? What are the pros? Any cons?
    What type is good? What type is acceptable? Any alternatives?
    How does one go about administering these said molasses? What's the feeding schedule?

I'd be very happy to share all your experience on the matter guys and gals.
    Armadillo love.

(No molasses plant feeds are sold in any of the shops here by the way, this country is very backwards in hydroponics)
    Originally posted by 420n808
    If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Hi, for one , it has to be unsulfered. I also am interested in others opinions on it ..
    Team AutoMechanics

Comment

As sonnyhad says it has to be unsulfered. You should be able to buy it at any grocery store. I do a tblspoon per gallon. Get some hot water in a glass and add the molasses. Stir until mixed, add to your nute water. I use it at all feedings. Using molasses is only recommended for coco coir, and soil grows. Being organic it is not good for hydro. I have no personal experience of not using it. I saw all the posts here and it seeme innocous enough, so I tried. Haven't noticed a downside.
      It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
      Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
      Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Comment

I know that it is used to feed microbes on organic grows. I have heard a lot of others claim big things from molasses, but I haven't use it myself.
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Good thread.....if you do use it.....when do you use it....throughout flower? last few weeks?
          I am considering it for my current grow.

Comment

i used molasses throughout my first grow. very tiny bit to start as you may see some yellow happen. don't freak. it will pass. use it for every watering through veg. it was a good tablespoon at the end of veg per gallon. flower was the same until the last few weeks it was straight ro water and almost 2 tablespoons molasses only per gallon. i did see them fatten a bit when it was just the water and molasses. i was in a soiless medium but consider it dirt. hydro it will be tricky. could just use sugar daddy that is part of the nutrient line i use in hydro. it is more soluble than straight molasses but still tricky in hydro.

Comment

I've used mo for all my grows in small amounts,form seed to harvest. Only use a tea spoon per gal. The roots lv it and the buds fatten nicely ( sweet) works for me! .02 cents

Comment

It is probably one of the most important ingredients you can use...Biker and the other folk`s use is same here....it goes in every water....like giving a little line of Coke to rev up the plant`s engine....not that I advocate coke or it`s uses...but were I.....

Comment

Okay, so the general feeling i'm getting is: definitely go for it.

The thing is, I don't know how long my girls are going to be flowering for before they are ripe for harvest. My strain is an unknown, wild-grown sativa from the looks of it, straight outta the Indian motherland, that somehow found it's way to me. I'm coming up to week 7 flower, and the buds are looking pretty decent, but still far from finished. Got some orange pistils starting to show here and there, but no frost. (I'm guessing anything from 3-7 weeks of flowering left maybe..)
                  The question is how do I know that it's a good time to use molasses now, and what's my sign to stop giving said molasses to the girls?

I'm gonna pop to one or two organic/health food shops this week and see if I can find me some unsulfured blackstrap molasses.
                  I'll be depending on you people to guide me on proper usage once I acquire the plant treats.
                  Thanks for the rapid answers and support btw. <3
                  Originally posted by 420n808
                  If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Comment

• Newf
                    Newf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You should be able to find unsulphured molasses at any grocery store. Most molasses is unsulphured and it is clearly stated on the bottle. A 12oz bottle should only be a few bucks.

"Molasses can help your plant or crop in other ways too. It is excellent for pest control. It is able to protect your marijuana plant against all kinds of potentially damaging predators. It helps to keep a healthy soil which guards against unwanted weeds. It wards off fungi and harmful bugs that know not to go near the sugary substance. It also helps to rid the soil of microscopic diseases. Molasses works to prevent a buildup of harmful pathogens in the soil. This includes reducing the buildup of salt which can zap the soil of nutrients." Source: http://www.marijuanaresources.com/ma...with-molasses/

I haven't used it myself though.

Comment

• CANADIAN
                    CANADIAN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey SlipHouse. Wow, Hewnew.. Thanks for posting all the info.

• SlipHouse
                    SlipHouse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anytime, Canadian!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X