Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready to germinate...... Last minute questions, advice appreciated!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost ready to germinate...... Last minute questions, advice appreciated!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,
    I posted some time back about the setup we were looking at and now we've got it, set it up and are almost ready to go...... Super freaking excited and surprisingly nervous, I mean it's a big investment so I really don't want to "eff" it up ( I'll save the real cursing for when you get to know me better lol). I've been doing a ton of reading, subscribed to some similar grow journals and am just in awe of the combined knowledge and support this group has! With that being said I'll give you all an idea of what we're dealing with and then I'm going to throw out my silly last minute questions
    Tent is a Fusion Hut, 5x5x6.5
    Light is a Mars II LED 900 watt with veg and bloom switches (not too sure about this, this is my weakness for sure, hoping to learn and am willing to change lights if need be later on)
    4"Fusion Breath inline fan and carbon filter ( after some comments about the size from members on my earlier post I have to agree we're likely going to need the 6", unfortunately it was a package deal so I'm going to try and make it work,looking at a smaller second tent if this goes well so can upgrade then and give this one to the smaller one)
    coco/perlite 70/30 mix
    GH Flora Trio
    Cali Magic ( last item we need - on its way)
    Growtec PH Up/Down ( wanted GH but had a friend pick it up at closest place -8hrs away so I'm hoping there's no issues feel free to comment good or bad!!)
    PH Pen - don't recall type but instructions and calibration info is like listening to PoppaBear talk about cross sections in roadway designs......ummmmm Huh!?!? I also have the test drops, I'll use for now till I can find the stuff to calibrate pen.
    5 gallon Fabric Pots
    Tap Water PH is reading at 6.0
    autoflowering seeds - white widow, northern lights, candy cane (arrived today!!!!!)

Okay I think that's the general idea, here's some questions, forgive me if they are simple at this point, my brain is spinning and not from the blue dream smoke I had!
    1. Should I rinse the fabric pots before filling with medium?
    2. Germination... Can I do the presoak just in tap water or should it be distilled?
    3. Using rapid rooters in a seedling tray with a dome and CFL light, water in tray can be tap water?
    4. Can move rooters to medium in pots when I see serrated leaves or when I see roots?.... I'm a little foggy on this one
    5. Veg state- I've seen some growers leave their door open during this stage, does this mean the fan is not really necessary during this stage? Are people using the tent vents and an oscillating fan instead? Sorry this might be an obvious one but like I said I'm being slightly OCD about this investment
    6. Going to have the pots resting in "boot trays" but I'm not sure if there's a whole lot of room under the pots for airflow. I've seen some growers elevate them with various racks to give even more air flow. Am I doomed if I don't have racks? I will be removing standing water.
    7. Right now the filter and fan are on the floor at the front of the tent. Not ideal I know but we were hesitant to hang all that weight from the roof bars, seriously doesn't feel like it could handle it on top of the light already hanging. Thoughts??
    8. Last one....for now hahahaha .. What on Gods green earth do you folks mix your water/nutes in????? I read somewhere that shaking it can throw the PH off, so do I mix a shit load in a five gallon pail and transfer to smaller jugs or? Again forgive me, ,might be silly but I just hit 40 the other day so you know things don't connect as quickly when your also trying to memorize nutrient schedules

sorry for the winded post, looking forward to comments and thoughts!!
    FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
    Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
    2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Not so winded MommaBear , I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is exciting isn't it? Good on ya for giving it a go.
    Start with, your setup sounds real good! I don't use that particular light or rapid rooters, but they're experienced growers that do that will answer those questions I'm sure.
    Check the manufacturers website about how much weight the inside of your tent will hold. My 3x3x7.5 will hold 250 pounds. How heavy is your light?
    Germinate with just tap water, not cold and not hot.
    Growers leave their tent open during vegging probably because it gets too hot inside. Your 4 inch vent will be fine, just get a timer to turn it on every so on. I don't use a fan inside - have a 6 inch vent that exhausts just fine.
    You are not doomed not having racks. Use something else to elevate them a bit.
    I mix my water/nutes/organics in a 1 gallon juice jug. Sometimes having to fill it several times - but I have the mixing to that variable down.
    Good to see you have autos - turn the light on 24/7 or 20/4 or 18/6 or however. How many plants are you growing at once? That size tent - I would guess 15?
    Happy growing and please keep us posted.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Canuck147 ! A fellow Canadian eh lol had to do that. Not sure about the weight it's rated for will have to look into that. The light weighs about 40 lbs ... too lazy to go downstairs and look.... now that's the blue dreams fault
      Was thinking cooling racks to elevate, might try that .... thinking 24/7 for veg and then 12/12 for bloom. Have some notes on that... we're going with nine. We mocked in the five gallon pots and with LSTing and needing room to water I'm not sure we can fit more lol. But once we get a feel for the sizes and what we're in for during watering, LSTing we may bump it up for grow #2.
      Thanks so much for confirming some things for me, much appreciated!!!! Hoping CaliMagic shows up tomorrow then it's soak the seeds night!!!!!

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Autoflowering strains need lights on - blooming will happen about 3 weeks after they sprout, little white pistils will appear. So, NO 12/12 for them - full blast all the way through!

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, duly noted

Im pretty sure I had and still have many of the same questions and im two weeks in! For what its worth having no experience, to elevate the pots i actually used broken plastic hangers and Im just mixing nutes in the gallon jug from the distilled water.

Im very nervous and excited for this adventure....

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      BuddMarsh - I thought of cooling racks, but was worried about rusting. I think we're going to use some plastic hangers we have around the house for now, but will be looking at better options for future grows.

• CCisme
      CCisme commented
      Editing a comment
      I bent the cookie racks i had lolol This has been the most intense project Ive ever attempted, I have lupus so having this investment work is so important, I also feel the finacial weight! My hubby who has never even faked inhaling, let alone tried any drugs, is now becoming a growing guru lol

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya CCisme !!! we've done tons of building together, fences, 12x16shed insulated and wired, bathroom etc. I've even had a garden the last four years and several fruit bushes but this.... this is a whole new scene for us too!!! Loving it already though!!!!

MommaBear Welcome to the forum!!! For germination and watering seedlings, make sure your water is pH-balanced--which you already have. You can always let your water sit for 24 hours to get rid of chlorine.

I use Root Riots for germination; they are the same as Rapid Rooters, but made by a different company: I love them and get very good germination results with them. I turn them upside down and insert the seed in the small end, because they stand up well when the wide side is down. If you can open your dome, you want air circulation rather than the accumulation of a great deal of humidity for the germination stage. I don't even pre-soak my seeds anymore; just stick em in the Root Riot, in tray, dome lets air circulate, on heating pad in winter... I saw my seedlings popping up in about 4 days.

You know not to feed the germinated seedlings right away, right? Let them feed off the cotlydon leaves until you see roots emerging out the bottom of the RRs. When you see roots, that's when you insert RRs into your first pot. And start with a weak solution of nutes in your water.

I personally would not pre-mix up a bunch of nutes and water just for the freshness factor; if you have a large plastic bucket (3 or 5gallon painter's bucket, available at any kind of Home Depot store), that's ideal for stirring in nutes, filling something smaller and watering the babies.

Can't wait to see your pics!!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Canuck147 Didn't mean to give erroneous information (me being a hydro grower and all)!!! But I thought that you didn't want to put a tiny plant into a huge pot right off the bat, because it won't dry out quickly and dangers of over-watering. Am I wrong?

• CCisme
      CCisme commented
      Editing a comment
      To funny because this is what I did and my biggest worry right now. So I planted into my final pot sun (5g smart pot, 2 week old seedling), my concern was/is overwatering for the next few weeks.

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not too worried about overwatering or having to water more ( I say that now but just u wait I'll be posting in no time about that haha), like the idea of only moving them once though.

Start with 2 maybe 3 plants if it's your first grow. You will learn the ins and outs on first couple grows. I started with just 2 plants, then bumped it up to germinate 3 seeds at a time. I got autos in all stages. My tent is 2x4x5 with 400 hps. I got a 4 bulb t8 6500k from lowes. I use it to get the babies through veg for first 30 days, once they out grow it they slide under the hps. But they don't fit in tent so I have it wide open with light hanging half out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_192501.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	6.82 MB
ID:	72905 this was about 3.5 wks back, Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_192508.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	8.45 MB
ID:	72906 2 wks back,. Today it's even more outa control. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_071727.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	7.63 MB
ID:	72907 all are autos, only 2 plants at 7.5 wks are in the tent, 3 more sitting right outside tent with my ghetto reflector. Plants can get out of control fast.I use LST training heavily.
    Attached Files

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @JibblerJoe!!!! You need a bigger tent We're going with 9 plants in the hopes that we get a decent yield. We both smoke on a daily basis recreationally and for medical reasons I debated only doing a couple to start but PoppaBear is a "go big or go home" kinda guy lol He's also a "do it right the first time" kinda guy so as he quizzes me I find holes in my knowledge hahaha

Welcome, MommaBear, it sure sounds like you done a lot of homework! Everyone has shared great tips.

Here are 2: each stage of growth takes a week or more-germination/seedling, early veg and training, etc. You have time to focus on the tutorial that addresses the phase you're in and the one coming up. Skim over stuff that is a month out.

"Go big or go home" is great. "Getting it right the first time" is also great. In my experience, I can only do one at a time. If I insist on both, it goes badly. I know you spent a chunk on your set up. Getting one or two plants to harvest is much more fun than killing a little forest. Smokes better better too.

But it's all still fun!
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @DingusKgan !!! Good advice re: not getting too ahead I may still scale it back, working out my trays today and hoping to get coco bricks soaking and medium ready so I can mock it all in and get a feel for space.

Welcome MammaBear! I'm excited along with you and your new journey! There is some great advise given already so, I'm not going to repeat what has been said already. I will say, however, is with the size of tent you have, you may be fine with the 4" exhaust fan using the LED light. Give it a go first to see how it effect things. Also, in the future you may be better off with two LED lights instead of one. The last thing I will add is DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE MISTAKES FOR THE FIRST YEAR. You will make some along the way. Don't beat yourself up over them. You'll learn A LOT from them : )
    Fast Buds GSC & Green Crack Auto's

Veg:
    4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LED's - Flora Trio + CalMag

Bloom: 4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LEDs - Flora Trio + CalMag & Superbloom

“…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Stony, was just thinking the same thing about adding a second light if need be and thank you for the reassurance on the fan and the fact it's ok to make mistakes Looking forward to learning!!!!!

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. I look forward to seeing the progress

You can use tap water IF you let it sit overnight . Ive used presoak before but I have better luck using 1/2 dozen paper towels folded flat and wet enough that water runs off but not a puddle. I put this on a small plate and put the whole thing on my cable box . new seeds usually pop overnight older seed take a little longer also make sure its moist at all times I check mine 3 or 4 times a day. hope that helps
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks oldjarhead!!! Cable box, what an ingenious way to have a heat source!!! Good call, love it! We've been looking at the paper towel method... I'm a little leary only because I've read that the taproot can break easy and it shouldn't be exposed to light. I'm tempted to try both methods just to see how they differ.

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I do that too

Hi MommaBear and welcome --

So here is my $.02 At the en of a first grow with auto Northern Lights in kind soil, started 2nd grow - chocolate skunk and bubbleicious.

Let me try to go in order --

1. Should I rinse the fabric pots before filling with medium?
    My first grow was in Plastic Pots -- Second in Fabric pots -- Good point about rinsing, I did not.

2. Germination... Can I do the presoak just in tap water or should it be distilled?
    I don't think it makes a difference, I used distilled water because I had to for the Kind Soil grow, I also have well water, but if you have regular tap water with chlorine and stuff, I would let it stand for a day or 2 before using.
    1st Time I did not pre soak 2nd time I did, like an overnight thing, and ended up soaking for about 18 hours. The 2nd time with soaking the seeds they sprouted the next day ---- without soaking 4 days ---- but it could be just a seed thing.

3. Using rapid rooters in a seedling tray with a dome and CFL light, water in tray can be tap water?
    First time I did the tray, dome, heating pad, thing --- 2nd time used Alltatup suggesting of turning the rooters upside down and poking your own hole in the other side (I like his idea and will do again) Did away with all the rest of the trays and domes and such, I put the seed in the rooter, then the rooter went into a 16oz plastic solo cup with Fox Farms Ocean soil in it. I slit the two sides of the plastic cups maybe a 1/4 inch just below the rim so I could rip the cup apart at transplant time. Then they went in the tent with the other plants.

4. Can move rooters to medium in pots when I see serrated leaves or when I see roots?.... I'm a little foggy on this one
    Lack of experience on this part, but in my case when I did just the rooter, it really wasn't long after the plants popped that the roots where coming out the other end of the rooter. That's why I like to put the rooter in the cup, then the roots grow through the rooter right into the soil, and then depending on fast she grows, in a week and a half -2-3 weeks right into the 5gal pot. With the Fox Farm Soil, you should not have to worry about using any nutrients until you transplant.

5. Veg state- I've seen some growers leave their door open during this stage, does this mean the fan is not really necessary during this stage? Are people using the tent vents and an oscillating fan instead? Sorry this might be an obvious one but like I said I'm being slightly OCD about this investment.
    If you are not worried about stealth --you can leave your doors open --- but the idea is to regulate the temp and humidity so keep that in mind.
    Heat has been my biggest battle -- so I have a vent fan and an oscillating fan, and now a clip on fan. Remember, the fan is not just for heat control, but also to make the plant stronger and give more co2 and such, a good gentle breeze, so you'll have to figure the size out, probably as you go.

6. Going to have the pots resting in "boot trays" but I'm not sure if there's a whole lot of room under the pots for airflow. I've seen some growers elevate them with various racks to give even more air flow. Am I doomed if I don't have racks? I will be removing standing water.
    I used the plastic trays from 5gal plastic pots and then I had scrap pieces of 3/4 in pvc, plastic pipe I cut up and put under the fabric bags so they are out of standing water.

7. Right now the filter and fan are on the floor at the front of the tent. Not ideal I know but we were hesitant to hang all that weight from the roof bars, seriously doesn't feel like it could handle it on top of the light already hanging. Thoughts??
    Picture below is how I modified mine to hang in my very small tent.

8. Last one....for now hahahaha .. What on Gods green earth do you folks mix your water/nutes in????? I read somewhere that shaking it can throw the PH off, so do I mix a shit load in a five gallon pail and transfer to smaller jugs or? Again forgive me, ,might be silly but I just hit 40 the other day so you know things don't connect as quickly when your also trying to memorize nutrient schedules
    Wait to you get over 60 - lol. Copy Paste, Print out, Make up a sheet of paper with all your mixes and schedules and keep it with your stuff you need to mix up. I kind of gently swirl my mixes, and I have checked at the time I mixed - and up to 4 hours later with no real deviation -- but everything is different.

You'll probably learn that everything varies in this this growing process, and everything is variable, so you have to learn to adjust.

Me I like easy! Hoped that helped. Click image for larger version

Name:	filter (Mobile).jpg
Views:	412
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	72937

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much yamiacaveman, tons of great comments!! Will def leave water for a few days before soaking, seems to be a common suggestion. rinsing pots was an after thought, I mean who knows what they've been around...so checkmark will rinse Love the idea of flipping rooters over, I saw where another grower pinches the bottoms to make them flat but just as easy to flip over. good call!! Wasn't sure about the solo cup part in between germination and potting for good, but sounds like a pretty good choice the way you describe it.
      Good to hear the fans and air circulating is a bit of a puzzle depending on the situation,temps etc. As others have said this will be my "learning grow" Like the PVC pipe idea, PoppaBear also suggested the same. Might be an idea for next grow, like the fan/filter mod you did but as far as we can tell our roof bars are only rated for 60 lbs...now I'm not sure if that's 60 per bar or overall.....PoppaBear is already designing a wood structure to go inside the tent that will hold up anything I want to hang....I've got him on hold right now, he loves him some building projects!!
      Starting to draw up and print off some stuff to hang up on walls, I'm using the GH Trio Coco schedule that's on the GWE tutorial and converting it to different mix sizes so I'll be ready at a quick glance

First take a breath, and relax.welcome to the show! This is not rocket sience,it all comes down a certen skill set.thier are a few sted fast rules tho that must be followed such as proper PH.temp.,and light,and proper watering all make up a good grow.that being said ther are some very good ways to germ.u will find yours.Just keep resurching and asking questions.Its a learning pros.We all make mistakes the trick to learn from them and improve u have fallen in with a great bunch willing to help with a great deal of no how good luck Mommabear.peace

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @Potted!!! It's absolutely amazing the amount of support and knowledge here, I'm truly humbled to be even a small part of it. I'm hoping one day we'll have journals like some of the folks that have been around here for awhile, Peace!

I used the plastic trays from 5gal plastic pots and then I had scrap pieces of 3/4 in pvc, plastic pipe I cut up and put under the fabric bags so they are out of standing water.

Check out this for under the pots...works well and cheap..

I find that this Egg Crate suspended ceiling tile is great for putting under smart pots. Keeps the bottom about 5/16" off the tray. One panel can make enough for at least 3, 5 gallon smart pots.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolit...233A/202025149

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Insight - thanks! never would have even thought of that stuff, will have to get the hubby to look into that!

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      That;s a good idea Drbabe

I use those plastic milk crates cut to size under smart pots I get 5 out of each crate u know the type behind every super market.lol

Comment

• yamiacaveman
      yamiacaveman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I know the ones, Great idea Potted! Just have to be careful these days camera's all over the place.

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      These are certainly an option...... I may have to get out my ski mask and dark clothing to acquire them though hahahahaha

• CCisme
      CCisme commented
      Editing a comment
      A rash of empty milk crate robberies sweep the nation...

MommaBear, have you sprouted yet?
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• MommaBear
      MommaBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha thanks Ladies! Feels good to be amongst my kind!! CCisme I hear ya with the meds. Been on so many it's like they don't work anymore, but Mary Jane never fails me, and it's natural for petes sake how can it be wrong . Sounds like you have a good setup, hoping to eventually have all three stages going as well but this run I just want to see what I'm in for. We both work full time so I don't know if I can handle more lol. As it is I'm carrying around my weather station screen like it's a fricken baby monitor.... well I guess technically it is tho .... uh oh crazy coming out!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      U GO, CCisme getting off of the damn pharmaceuticals is such a triumph!! I hope it works!!!

• CCisme
      CCisme commented
      Editing a comment
      @allatup It has helped so much. My enemy has always prednisone and methaltrexate Ive been making oils for about a year, slowly removing everything but a thyroid pill, got there about a month and half ago i was never so happy. My problem has always been finding consistant product on the street, it is impossible. And decarb, i recently got the nova decarb hoping that helps w consistancy.
      MommaBear omg I carry mine like a monitor to. Lololol i finally was able to leave my temp hum monitor on my entable this
      week.

1. I did not wash my new pots. Do wash between uses.
    2. I don't play around with seeds. I plant in the 5 gallon pot and water it. Spray bottles are a waste of time and transplantation hurts your plants.
    3. I plant in the soil. I put a small amount of light warrior in a small hole and sow one knuckle down.
    4. See 3
    5. I use a closed door on a properly ducted climate controlled tent.
    6. Trays are a waste of time. Drain thoroughly after watering.
    7. No idea. I hang muy entire harvest from my tent and use the roof for storage.
    8. I use standard watering jugs. I pour the Ph'ed water/nutes into a smaller, half gallon jug.
    SSD

Comment

• yamiacaveman
      yamiacaveman commented
      Editing a comment
      You got some good points SSD!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X