Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plants turning yellow from bottom working up

First time grower.

Noticed over the last 3 weeks that leaves on bottom of plants are yellowing, drying up and falling off. Overall plants seems to be yellowing. Setup is 10" pot, full sunlight south facing Boston, MA latitude, remove from window at night, no additives, no ph adjustment, ph meter reads 7.5 to 8, rich potting soil only, watering daily, can see roots at drain hole underneath pot, small flies have been coming out of potting soil for 2 months, been using indoor garden-safe insecticide spray on top of soil only for 2 months, Seeds were planted Jan 1st when marijuana became legalized!! Have not done anything different.

First off, pH is too high, for soil it should be between 6 & 7. pH6.2-6.9 would be best. Fix that first and see how things go. The small flies you mention are probably thrips, you'll need to get rid of them too.
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

I meant to write gnats, not thrips. Won't let me edit last post though
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

What OzBud said

Comment

ok Thanks I ordered the PH UP/Down kit but it will be a couple of days before it arrives. Anything I can do in the meantime to adjust the PH with something in the kitchen cabinet?

Comment

• Insight
            Insight commented
            Editing a comment
            From the GWE pH tutorial:

Organic "pH Down"

lime
            lemon
            vinegar

• cyberaktif
            cyberaktif commented
            Editing a comment
            read somewhere that apple cider vinegar works good.

Personally any leaves in the dirt I pull instinctively. I have no scientific basis for this; I simply can't stand the leaves in the dirt.
          SSD

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            That's very smart. Dead plant matter=mold diseases and bugs

got it Thanks!

Comment

This should help with everything you said. Read it all..think prevention!

first thing though is the fungus gnats are from overwatering. Need to let the top inch or so dry up before you water. Also to much water puts stress on the plants by restricting oxygen to the roots. Yellow leaves falling off is lack of nitrogen. If your using a supersoil then im baffled as to ph being off. Maybe over watering kills beneficials in the soil which messes with ph? Also the fungus gnat larva hurt your roots. All of this can giveyou problems. It could be any or likely some form of all of the above.

Simple transplant could help alot though and less water

What would i do?

I would transplant to a bigger container. Dont water it again for at least 4 days. Let the top inch be dry to the touch (not quite completely dry but i go close to it this lets roots breathe and stretch)stick your finger straight n to your first or 2nd knuckle. Youll feel it when it needs it. Another good thing is to liftyour container and geta feel for the weights when just watered and through to it needing water.
            Good luck. Read all the articles!!

wait did you say its growing on your window? My frinds pops had one. Pull couple buds off here and there amd let fill in gain. Wont be primo by anymeans but will work in a pinch. Get some lights!

one more thing. Soil ph testers are bot the best. Get a lh meter or e strips and test water going in. Then collect some going out and test that. Tutorial somewhere linked from the menu on the page i attached
            Current Grows:

GSC and SWEET TOOTH (flowering)

Platinum LED P600 x 2 (380 w draw at the wall each)
            4'x4'x7' grow tent
            General Organics Go Box
            ProMix HP
            1>3>7 gal smartpots
            Well water PH 6.38

SOUR BUBBLE, SOUR STRAWBERRY, LIFESAVER, GHOST OG x LEMON, BUBBA KUSH in veg

Comment

Look at pictures of several common growing problems so you can diagnose your sick plants! Then follow the link to learn how to fix it.
              Current Grows:

GSC and SWEET TOOTH (flowering)

Platinum LED P600 x 2 (380 w draw at the wall each)
              4'x4'x7' grow tent
              General Organics Go Box
              ProMix HP
              1>3>7 gal smartpots
              Well water PH 6.38

SOUR BUBBLE, SOUR STRAWBERRY, LIFESAVER, GHOST OG x LEMON, BUBBA KUSH in veg

Comment

Canceled PH UP and Down order and will only use organic vinegar to adjust ph. Scraped off 1 inch of top soil to rid gnats, transplanted into much larger container, 2 inches of new dry soil on top, used Espoma Organic potting mix, purchased GO BOX. Now reading to figure out what to do with the GO BOX- it says on the box adjusting ph of water is not necessary?? Original soil was not supersoil, just commercial potting soil.

Thanks!

Comment

• GDTRFB95
                  GDTRFB95 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As long as the potting soil doesn't have time released nutrients in it you'll be good. Follow the schedule but start with half strength. You can gradually increase it but if your leaves are healthy and stalks sturdy dont push it too much. Should be no ph issues.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X